R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue...no...Telefunken & AEA...yes  (Read 2373 times)

Adam The Truck Driver

Blue...no...Telefunken & AEA...yes
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:44:35 AM »

I didn't get to use either microphone at Harvey's as of yet for lack of time mostly, but I did finally get to plug them in tonight and give both a good try out. I didn't have the greatest preamp, but I learned enough to know I am keeping both microphones and when I get a true high grade preamp they'll be ridiculously good sounding cause they sound pretty damn good on the cheapo preamp I used tonight. I used them both on vocals, and on acoustic guitar, and the AK-47 was also placed in front of a drum kit. Both mics...awesome in my opinion. Each capture my voice very nicely when doing my power ballad tenor, including that breathy stuff even from about 10" back and with no sibilance problems either. The front side of the R84 DJV has noticably more body, and the back side more top sparkle with less body but still not at all thin. The AK-47 was just as impressive but different on my voice but particularly in the omni pattern, again about 10" back while doing my power ballad tenor. Sound is smooth even when pushing my voice hard in my upper range. I believe it isn't a microphone with limitations or resrictions as to what sources it should/might be good with as I was told it was going to be more suited to female vocals. It suits my very male voice no sweat to my ear. It is full bodied and clear on my voice with no hyped high end nor muffled sounding highs. The lows in directional patterns can have plenty of proximity effect, I believe could be useful, but I'm not one of those singers that needs or wants the microphone close at least in doing my power ballad tenor stuff. It and the R84 capture the breathy whispery stuff very nicely too up closer. I imagine it could make an acoustic guitar sound larger than life used in close though I didn't try it on that for some reason. I know it made the kick sound very prominent set about 10ft back front and center and about 6ft up, and also 6ft back and about 4ft up in the overall sound of the drum kit. Thats all I can think of at the moment. Thats all I tried actually. The preamp was a cheapo live mixer preamp. I'm going to get something way better later on...Manley TNT is what I want I think...though several others have been recommended...and thanks for that...maybe the AEA TRP?

EDIT: I did let the Telefunken warm up for an hour first before doing anything with it...wish I had tried it on the guitar...and wish I'd tried the AEA on drums...oh well.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

mixwell

Re: Blue...no...Telefunken & AEA...yes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 11:50:32 AM »

If you want TWO completely different sounding channels, the TNT is a great idea, I personally favor the tube channel myself, given its musicality and depth. The Cool channel is also a sick sounding preamp, but I tend to always reach for the TUBE channel on that box. The Cool channel has a lot of possibly to change the tone though. Overall the TNT has more gain than you'll ever need.

I think the TNT fits what your trying to achieve in having two different microphones for the same applications, it makes sense to me to be able to change the texture without adding any other processor into the chain. Just try the other channel if the tone doesn't cut it for the part.

Anyway, I think the TNT is a good choice, as well as the TRP [although its "straight wire with gain" and really has no character besides what your microphones offer which is a good thing but parred up against these others, its an entirely different animal] so perhaps its worth a shot to try a few things, as in this price range, there are a lot of microphone amps that shine with the microphones you own. I would strongly recommend that the NPNG 2NW is one of those amps. I think the 2NW  [which is also upgradeable should you need MORE channels] would be the best option in my experience with these pairings, as it would make the MOST of what your microphones offer.

Glenn Bucci

Re: Blue...no...Telefunken & AEA...yes
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 12:18:50 PM »

I also love the TNT. I was very sad to give it back. The Tube pre is the Slam pre which in my opinion is one of the finest cleaning pre. I also like the AK47 and am thinking about getting one in the future at some point. The cool channel is very nice as it is very flexibile and gives you lot's of sounds. Good luck.  Smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.