R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's the best?  (Read 11347 times)

Jay Summers

Re: Who's the best?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 03:12:48 PM »

I'm way better at mixing than tracking so I'm not upset when someone tracks a project somewhere else and I mix it. They are 2 different arts. Not that you can't be good at both, but they don't co-exist.
Jay

Nizzle

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 06:13:26 PM »

Fibes wrote on Tue, 02 December 2008 09:35

Nizzle wrote on Sat, 15 November 2008 14:17

Also - I get annoyed whenever I hear someone imply that when "they" track a song, by the time they've finished tracking - the song "mixes itself". Perhaps this might be the case in a acoustic jazz, chamber, or other "live" idioms, but a dose of humility and reality are in order. Thoughtful tracking certainly speeds up the mixing process significantly, but let's not underestimate the contribution of talented/ tasteful mix engineer and what he/ she can bring to the table.

-t

Sorry, I disagree, you can continue to be annoyed by statements and i will continue to be annoyed when people insist a song can be made in the mix and not in the performance.

Then again, a big bloated drum sound, high passed bass guitar, uber wide guitars, anvil compressed vocals and all of those other tricks are fine for the music I don't enjoy to listen to.

The vision starts before the downbeat and the further down the line it gets, it becomes less vision and more hindsight.

Hindsight doesn't excite me.

Nothing to be sorry about. I didn't realize there were folks insisting a song was made "in the mix". If your making records that move you by merely putting the faders up, then that's great, really.

It has been my experience that rarely does this happen(with exception to other musical idioms that I mentioned in my earlier post). It's not that I don't believe a great mix starts, and is fundamentally reliant on great performances, because I do believe that. It's just that the "mix" process is an art and can contribute , greatly, to the effectiveness of the recorded music. The mix process might be a matter of putting the faders up and getting a great balance, but often it can require a little more and even a whole lot more than that.

-t

Fibes

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »

T,

We agree, more often than not lately mixing makes the tune. I never dug that methodology, when i hear playback i want to know that's the path were on, not just a prequel to the main event.

tracking with vision really is lost on a lot of people.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Gold

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »

[quote title=NelsonL wrote on Tue, 02 December 2008 13:08]
Quote:

unless it's something like say, Earthless, which is better live anyway.

A little OT but the last Earthless album was tracked and mixed by the same person. Lacquers were cut directly from 1/2" with very very little processing. I ran the DAW at the same time and that was the CD.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

NelsonL

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2008, 12:13:18 AM »

I'm not the least bit surprised to hear that-- my point isn't meant as a slight to their records, they're just that good live.

Gold

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 12:31:17 AM »

NelsonL wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 00:13

my point isn't meant as a slight to their records, they're just that good live.

I didn't take it that way. It was just an FYI. They are fantastic live. There is a live album coming out next. And it really is live. It's over an hour and a half unedited.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.