R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's the best?  (Read 11349 times)

j.hall

Re: Who's the best?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 02:49:15 PM »

Fibes wrote on Sun, 17 August 2008 09:21

FWIW when I track/produce a project the mix is 90% done by the time the tracking is done.

Vision from top to tail.

you do in fact swing a big D..........

Fibes

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 02:58:45 PM »

heh, seriously the new DAW method enables one to put the pieces together all along the process, copy mixes for alts and recalls are a piece of cake. Having all of the sounds together for the addition of the next overdub is inspirational to the vision.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:06 AM »

INDEED!!!!

Jonah A. Kort

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 03:25:08 AM »

I'd rather produce, track, and mix a project myself but wouldn't

freak out if the band wanted someone else to mix it, a little

bummed though.  

resolectric

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 07:11:08 AM »

When i finish tracking the mix is nearly done.

rankus

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »

For me the mixing begins with mic choice and placement, and like Fibes once the tracking is done the mix is usually coming along at least 50%

I do like mixing stuff I didn't track, but would prefer that I am the guy who mixes when I'm the tracking engineer (yes I am insecure  Smile )

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Chris Ilett

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »

YZ wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 18:54

would be the best choice for mixing an album: the engineer who did the tracking or an outside ear.

I'll give it a shot.

What are the hours?

wwittman

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 02:54:47 PM »

I can count on one hand, probably, the records I think are GREAT that were mixed by an 'outside' mixer.

almost all of the best records ever made were made start to finish by a producer/engineer team.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

adoucette

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 08:01:28 PM »

steveeastend wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 09:24

Tomas Danko wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 13:04

Gosh.

If Chris Lord Alge hadn't engineered the session I think I still wouldn't mind him mixing it.Smile

IF..... you would only know what he costs Wink

I know.. Ive seen receipts.. pretty crazy.. but only gives me something to aim for  Smile

Tomas Danko

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 10:22:28 AM »

adoucette wrote on Sat, 01 November 2008 00:01

steveeastend wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 09:24

Tomas Danko wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 13:04

Gosh.

If Chris Lord Alge hadn't engineered the session I think I still wouldn't mind him mixing it.Smile

IF..... you would only know what he costs Wink

I know.. Ive seen receipts.. pretty crazy.. but only gives me something to aim for  Smile

I also know... CLA mixed a track for the last project I worked on. Very expensive. But IMHO totally worth it for this particular track.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

RSettee

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 12:21:31 PM »

Fibes wrote on Sun, 17 August 2008 13:58

heh, seriously the new DAW method enables one to put the pieces together all along the process, copy mixes for alts and recalls are a piece of cake. Having all of the sounds together for the addition of the next overdub is inspirational to the vision.

Yeah, for sure. Also, the ability to have multiple alternate tracks/ versions of something in virtual tracks is a real bonus, to choose from, later.

RSettee

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »

wwittman wrote on Sun, 05 October 2008 13:54

I can count on one hand, probably, the records I think are GREAT that were mixed by an 'outside' mixer.

almost all of the best records ever made were made start to finish by a producer/engineer team.

Andy Wallace made some of the best mixes of the 90's, and he was an outside mixer.....on the other hand, one of the albums that he produced, White Zombie's "La Sexorcisto" was one of his worst mixes to my ears, IMHO.

Nizzle

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »

There are no "right" answers. But I will say that engineering a record and mixing a record are two different skill sets. The notion that if one can engineer a recording well, he/ she can also mix an album well has not proven to be the case, in my experience. It goes without saying that the 2 skill sets certainly inform one another, but they are different beasts. With that said, there are many folks that can wear both hats well.

Also - I get annoyed whenever I hear someone imply that when "they" track a song, by the time they've finished tracking - the song "mixes itself". Perhaps this might be the case in a acoustic jazz, chamber, or other "live" idioms, but a dose of humility and reality are in order. Thoughtful tracking certainly speeds up the mixing process significantly, but let's not underestimate the contribution of talented/ tasteful mix engineer and what he/ she can bring to the table.

-t

Fibes

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 12:35:32 PM »

Nizzle wrote on Sat, 15 November 2008 14:17

Also - I get annoyed whenever I hear someone imply that when "they" track a song, by the time they've finished tracking - the song "mixes itself". Perhaps this might be the case in a acoustic jazz, chamber, or other "live" idioms, but a dose of humility and reality are in order. Thoughtful tracking certainly speeds up the mixing process significantly, but let's not underestimate the contribution of talented/ tasteful mix engineer and what he/ she can bring to the table.

-t

Sorry, I disagree, you can continue to be annoyed by statements and i will continue to be annoyed when people insist a song can be made in the mix and not in the performance.

Then again, a big bloated drum sound, high passed bass guitar, uber wide guitars, anvil compressed vocals and all of those other tricks are fine for the music I don't enjoy to listen to.

The vision starts before the downbeat and the further down the line it gets, it becomes less vision and more hindsight.

Hindsight doesn't excite me.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

NelsonL

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »

Quote:

Then again, a big bloated drum sound, high passed bass guitar, uber wide guitars, anvil compressed vocals and all of those other tricks are fine for the music I don't enjoy to listen to.

I completely agree from a taste standpoint, and yet I do enjoy the technical challenge of tracking and mixing stuff like metal that, for me, requires a lot of manipulation at mix.

But listening wise, I have almost no interest in contemporary heavy rock, unless it's something like say, Earthless, which is better live anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 17 queries.