R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How many of you make your living recording?  (Read 9177 times)

grantis

Re: How many of you make your living recording?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 10:41:34 AM »

Quote:

Mostly doing the live TV thing. Been doing it that way for about 5 years.
I guess I only get paid to do audio when there's a camera rolling.

Are your TV audio guys union?  I tried to get into the audio department at the TV station i run camera at, but I have to join the union first.  Anyway, thought I'd ask.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Greg Thompson

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »

Yes, I work mostly for ABC, so I have to be union to work for them.

I was allowed to work a certain amount of days/year for a few years before I *had* to join the union.  

Now I'm in it.  No big deal.

But I do a lot of freelancing that does not involve union work as well.

Michael Petkau

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 08:49:43 AM »

Been self-employed for 4 of the last 5 years.  

(Took 6 months off to go chill the hell out in Montreal a couple years ago and another 6 months to get things rolling again once back home)

I don't make a lot of money, but goddamn I have a lot of fun.  The income grows a little bit each year, funnily enough, I imagine this corresponds with a slowly growing skill level.   Laughing

dconstruction

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 10:32:20 AM »

Nope, not me.  Not making a living at it - would love to - can't imagine how.  My little studio is in my back yard, a modest collection of instruments and gear.  Just enough space to fit a five-piece band in there, kinda close.

The problem (as I see it) is the rates I'm able to charge.  I'm at $30 an hour now, and don't have too much more room to go up without getting into the same territory as much larger and more well-appointed studios, with more experience engineers (Matt Pence, Stuart Sikes, Salim Nourallah).  I'm sure if I really wanted to take the leap, I could quit my day job, hire myself out freelance, and build a reputation as an engineer/producer working in other studios.

But I'm not so much into the defaulting-on-my-mortgage/starving thing.

j.hall

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 11:12:32 AM »

dconstruction wrote on Tue, 03 June 2008 09:32

But I'm not so much into the defaulting-on-my-mortgage/starving thing.

SISSY!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

surviving is always a good idea.

TheViking

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »

Making a living recording is kind of a narrow focus, don't you think?   There is an ebb and flow to my work frequency.   Some years I find myself staring at my phone and e-mail in-box waiting for a gig and other years I can't buy a day off.   You make it work no matter what.

I consider myself to be full time in the fields of music and audio.   Producing is my focus but I find myself doing all kinds of work throughout the spectrum of audio 'work'.   Songwriting, Co-writing, Producing, Performing, Mixing, Engineering, Assisting, Live Sound, Church Sound, Church music, Consulting, Installs, etc.   It's all in my field and if the opportunity is there for me to make money doing it, I'm on it like white on rice.

For example, right now the studio is a little slow so I'm working here at a live music venue mixing FOH and monitors for some of the tours that come through when they need me.   It's decent pay and it keeps me in touch with some of the other things that are going on here in town.   Would I rather be producing?   Sure, but I'm just happy to be getting a paycheck doing something in a related field.   Things will pick up, they always do.   What's awesome is that I've already met several potential clients and/or new working relationships with people in the industry I wouldn't have if I hadn't opened myself up to doing this live sound gig.

All experience is valuable!   Expectations are also important to understand as well.   I'm grateful that I've been able to stay in this field as long as I have.
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

Antman

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 12:56:38 PM »

I'm currently trying to get myself into the recording-as-a-primary-source-of-income thing. My family has just moved into a newly built house, with two rooms designed as best we could afford for me to work out of. Our garage, which has yet to have the tracking room built inside it, and my control room in what would have been our so called "AV" room. Boy am I lucky to have such a supportive family!

My plan is to really focus on getting my income from the mixing side of things. Tracking doesn't seem to be my strong point, but I do hope to improve. I only really expect to be recording local garage band's demos in my studio for quite a while really. While simultaneously building my profile as a mix engineer.

Of course, I'll take whatever gigs I come across. Sound is my passion, my previous experience doing live recording was thrilling and an incredible learning experience, all the work I've done on planning for this studio has made me consider going into the studio/rehearsal room design/construction side of things as well. Also mastering takes my fancy quite a lot!

Hallams

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 08:08:49 PM »

Been full time since 94. Started working in a small studio as 2nd engineer as part of the income  and doing live production and playing to keep the income up. Gradually set up my own studio, and worked up a good network to make recording the main gig. In 2002 i took a position as sound / AV tech in a large private school, and continued to run the studio as a 2nd income. I have managed to stay afloat putting my 6 kids through school and paying of the house.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 05:59:39 AM »

I spend my living on recording. Does that count?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Prabha

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »

I rarely post, but always visit the forums..

Anyway I've been living from recording/mixing since 1994, the first 4 years doing mainly radio/TV spots, then only music in my own place.

As someone else said, I'm not rich nor poor.... but it's not easy to make it in south america.

Just my two cents

Rob Darling

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 09:00:48 PM »

Until a couple years ago when I launched a high end home media server company with some friends (www.sooloos.com) I made my living in studios, either making music in them or helping people build them.  

Right now I work on projects I've collaborated on for a long time, but mostly run the new company.

I've gone through periods when I was burned out on music and the work sucked and I've been fortunate that I'm very good at installation and consulting for composing/production environments- I've put in probably a hundred and fifty studios in New York in the last 15 years (most of it in a peak of three years at the turn of the century.)

And when both things were not doing it for me, I taught for a while when I first got married because young wives and 120 day receivables aren't easy things to reconcile.  Then when I got the energy back, I built a room in Brooklyn and got back on the horse.

Having an open mind and a lot of skills cannot be stressed enough.  It is a big world of skills that can make you better at making records and having lots of exposure to all the aspects of how wiggling air and electrons and bits and people and ideas all go together is essential.

I assisted a record at one point in the mid 90's with a guy who is now one of the biggest mixers on the scene, at the time was in a deep lull and middle-aged making snooze jazz with musicians he liked, after having been at the top of the game in the 80's.

He was pretty chatty and at an honest point in his life and he told me some things.

A:

ALWAYS have 6 months of money in the bank.  Don't buy equipment, don't overextend yourself, always have money in the bank.  If you are pressured for money, you will make bad decisions and will not be cool during projects.  If you are stressed, you will make bad decisions, you will do bad work, and will not get more work.

B:

Have other skills related to the studio but outside of the studio- he would do synth and fx patch design for manufacturers.  If you can't do that, do gigs that hone portions of your craft (voiceover, editing, jingles, etc).  I think I learned more doing voiceover on retainer for about 6 months than I did in the previous two years.  It's like playing scales- it is right or it isn't.  Great discipline.

C:

Don't work on music you do not like or with people you do not like or people who do not like you.  It takes your energy and creativity and passion away, it makes you mean, it makes you negative, and you will not be right when you get back to the stuff you like.  

If you do A and B, you will always be able to do C.

The important thing:

DO NOT WORK ON MUSIC YOU DO NOT LIKE WITH PEOPLE YOU DO NOT LIKE OR DO NOT LIKE YOU.

And as Greg Thompson say, get insurance.

This stuff stuck and I've mostly followed it and it's kept me happy and alive in a city where the business has been in collapse over most of my career.  I won't say it's always been easy, but hey, I've managed to build a life.  There's a guy I used to assist when I started out who owns a hot dog cart now.  Really.  

And I have to say, I like and listen to a lot of the music I've made and count myself lucky to have met and worked with most of the people I've worked with.

It beats the hell out of having a real job.

typek

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 12:01:17 AM »

robdarling..

pretty inspiring.. thanks..

im still a student.. almost done with school.. I'll be graduatin' with a degree in Audio Production, and Audio & Media Technology... I have worked around 600 studio intern hours, but I finally i started making some decent money working for an AV company.. The guys I work for do the AV gig's to make the majority of their income, and they do live sound/mixing/tracking stuff for supplemental income.. they make damn good money, but they work their asses off.. the AV thing can be pretty fun i found.. definitely different than working in the studio, but not so bad..  my plan is to stick with this - especially with school loan payments comin' up!

rankus

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 04:53:02 PM »

robdarling@mail.com wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 18:00

C:

Don't work on music you do not like or with people you do not like or people who do not like you.  It takes your energy and creativity and passion away, it makes you mean, it makes you negative, and you will not be right when you get back to the stuff you like.  

Quoted for emphasis.. Boy, have I learned this one the hard way.  I will now turn down work even if I need it,  just to avoid this situation.  Not good for anyone.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

j.hall

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 06:12:56 PM »

i don't see the harm in mentioning who told you that stuff.  seems like a cool guy.

more often then not, the top guys get railed on as being arrogant jerks that don't help anyone.

Strummer

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »

robdarling@mail.com wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 21:00

B:

Have other skills related to the studio but outside of the studio- he would do synth and fx patch design for manufacturers.  If you can't do that, do gigs that hone portions of your craft (voiceover, editing, jingles, etc).  I think I learned more doing voiceover on retainer for about 6 months than I did in the previous two years.  It's like playing scales- it is right or it isn't.  Great discipline.

This is the story of a friend of mine, one of the most musically literate and talented people I've had the pleasure of knowing:

He was playing a solo gig in a small bar/restaurant, always had a good time there, progressive receptive crowd. As he's playing a guy walks up to the jukebox,doesn't say a word to anybody, drops in money and punches up some tunes.

He packed up and has never played in public for money since.

Now he makes a living doing voiceovers and jingles in his studio or others if that's where he's needed. He works on his own music projects on his own time and sells them on his own label. He enjoys both sides of his work now, and makes a good living.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.