R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: noob question on gains and fader levels  (Read 1892 times)

myearsring

noob question on gains and fader levels
« on: June 06, 2004, 04:20:03 PM »

Hello all,

I don't know if anyone can help me with this, i have been scouring the net for awhile and cant seem to find very much info, here is the problem -

Im running 12 outs a sequenced sampler into a yamaha o1v and recording onto a pc. I am looking for some advice as to the best way of setting the gains and the faders to optimise the overall mix levels.

here are the methods ive tried -

1)setting the gains to as high a level as possible,without clipping then keeping the main channel faders (drums,bass,leads) as close to zero and everything else relative which usually results in the master fader having to be pulled down quite a way before recording.

2)Setting the gains of the mixers the same as above but having the channel faders low and the master fader high.

3)Trying to keep all the faders as close to zero as possible and adjusting the gain to change signal level which results in only the master fader having to be reduced slightly to record.

Ive heard that with digital mixing changing the faders in the wrong stages can increase noise and distortion but cant seem to find anything specific. Are there any golden rules other than use your ears or does it not really matter, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Jason Poff

Re: noob question on gains and fader levels
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 09:47:56 AM »

I would record the direct outs of the input channels before the signal ever hit the fader.

Jason

wa Edwards

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 08:54:19 PM »

I have an early 01V and the metering stinks.  Like most digital mixers of it's time.  Maybe even still, for all I know.  

If direct outs is not an option (i.e., not enough inputs to the computer, or you want to mix the synths while tracking), what you want to do is hit the A/D converters reasonably hot (without clipping), and adjust the output gain to keep the recorder happy.  Works about the same in live situations.

Anyhow, here's what works for me.  It's close to your option 1).

1) Pick a reference level for the average or typical signal.  I use about -18 dB, -12 if there isn't much dynamics to the stuff coming in.  This refernce level would comparable to "0" on an analog desk.  You can't bother getting too precise on this part, 'cause the metering stinks.    

2) set the input gains so that the inputs are running about that level.  The peaks may be getting close to 0 dBFS, but not going over.  If it goes over, reduce the input trim.

4) mix channel faders to suit.  Most will be around 0, give or take a bit.

3) when a lot of inputs are summed to the stereo bus, the output may go over 0 with the main fader all the way up.  That's OK, just reduce the main fader until the output isn't clipping.  Again, you want to run it reasonably high, without going over.  With a lot of hot channels mixed to stereo, the master fader may be 12 - 16 dB down.  If you are doing a lot of EQ and/or compression, it may need to be even lower.  That's still OK - it's pretty hard to clip the internal mix bus.  
Note that the EQ and compression pages have gain trims to help you manage internal bus levels.

So long as you get good levels at the A/D, where you fade things matters,but not that much - there's usually enough computing range in the digital end of things to make it come out oK.  

Wayne

myearsring

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 11:27:42 AM »

Thanks for the info. I have been getting improved result Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.