R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beyerdynamic Soundstar II suibtable for live recording?  (Read 7365 times)

jetbase

Beyerdynamic Soundstar II suibtable for live recording?
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »

I've seen the Soundstar II (or M400) mentioned on this forum before. Does anyone know if this mic would be suitable on vocals for live concert recordings? The reason I ask is that, although I've only had minimal use with it in the studio, it seems to be more prone to popping than other mics I've used. I really like the sound of it though, so I'd like to use it if it's practical.

Thanks,
Glenn
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

hargerst

Re: Beyerdynamic Soundstar II suibtable for live recording?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:47:09 PM »

jetbase wrote on Mon, 11 August 2008 20:10

I've seen the Soundstar II (or M400) mentioned on this forum before. Does anyone know if this mic would be suitable on vocals for live concert recordings? The reason I ask is that, although I've only had minimal use with it in the studio, it seems to be more prone to popping than other mics I've used. I really like the sound of it though, so I'd like to use it if it's practical.

Thanks,
Glenn

I have the exact opposite impression; it does pop suppression very well.  I think it would be great for live concert recordings.  Here's a scratch track I did with the Beyer that I wound up using in the final recording. If anyone can blow up a dynamic mic, it's Heather:

http://itrstudio.com/who you are.mp3

That's the Beyer Soundstar MK II on her lead vocal, and also the shout vocal.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

jetbase

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:00:42 PM »

hargerst wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 08:47

I have the exact opposite impression; it does pop suppression very well.  I think it would be great for live concert recordings.  Here's a scratch track I did with the Beyer that I wound up using in the final recording. If anyone can blow up a dynamic mic, it's Heather:

http://itrstudio.com/who you are.mp3

That's the Beyer Soundstar MK II on her lead vocal, and also the shout vocal.

Hey, I occasionally play that song in a church band. Now I'll be thinking of you instead of God whenever I play it!

Thanks for the advice Harvey, I'm not suprised if my impression is skewed since it is only a first impression & might have been due to poor vocal technique. I'm definitely impressed with the tone of this mic on vocals for a dynamic - and your recording verifies that impression at least.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry

Hallams

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:29:10 PM »

Hi Glen. I have one in my kit and use it often on guitar amps, for vox and even kick for a live jazz gig recently at Bennets Lane.To give you an idea, I had been using an SE vocal condenser for some live vox jobs, but find while it sounds clean and transparent , it doesn't have the body in the mids that the Beyer has.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

jetbase

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 08:50:08 PM »

Thanks Chris. I've tried a couple of SE condensors & ribbon mics & I just can't get into them. I'll have to try the Beyer on kick sometime - have you tried it on kick for rock/pop as well?
sleep is not an option

Glenn Santry

Hallams

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »

I have just uploaded a song on myspace with the beyer on the kick for you to have a listen. Its  tracked through my Trident VFM at the Berwick Baptist church. Lot of fun that gig with some mates in Steve Messer's Strange Country. Steve is the Pastor at a church in Droin and the song is a true story about Denny who found his wife while DJ'ing a local public radio show. Steve bought an old  valve Lesly from Denny's 2nd hand shop for his keyboard player, Darryl Thompson. Denny suspected it was worth a few bob so it took Steve a while to secure the deal.
The kit was miced : beyer on kick in the hole, sm 56 on snare and M/S on the rest of the kit using a Rode K2 in fig 8 and a Neumann KM 85 mid.
The Live at Bennets Lane also has the Bayer on kick but the sound is very different with the front skin with no hole.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

jetbase

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 01:02:18 AM »

Live at Bennets Lane sounds great! What did you use on piano & guitar?
Interesting story about Denny, but how did he lose his wife in the first place? Boom boom!
sleep is not an option

Glenn Santry

Hallams

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 02:01:57 AM »

Two Neumann KM85's on piano and a Merantz condenser on the guitar cab, i don't know the model number off hand.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.