R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reducing Proximity/Overmod Distortion ???  (Read 1066 times)

mark4man

Reducing Proximity/Overmod Distortion ???
« on: August 10, 2008, 04:42:18 PM »

Hello again...

[I know overmodulation is primarily a telecommunications term...but I like to use it to describe bad cases of proximity effect...like the vocalist is overmodulating the diaphragm (by vibrating the thing to death.) ]

So...I'm mastering a rap demo CD...3 songs by a local "value based" hip hop artist (keep away from guns & drugs...a positive message type thing).  The producer...who also created the stereo backup/band tracks...fancies himself an announcer of sorts...& lets loose w/ a clever little premise or rhyme as a song intro.  Trouble is...he practically ate his mic in doing so; & I'm left w/ a spoken vocal intro w/ pretty bad proximity distortion.

I thought I'd better come here first & find out if there's a mastering rule-of-thumb for rubbing it out.  Even if I loose some primary fr.'s in doing so & it winds up sounding like AM radio...at least I could then maybe rebuild it spectrally or apply some nifty effect so it can at least pass for "creative", w/ distortion.

Could use some help...will provide fft if needed.

Thanks,

mark4man

Andrew Hamilton

Re: Reducing Proximity/Overmod Distortion ???
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »

Since the trouble is with the intro announcements, why not have the "talent" come in and do the voice over, at your place?  Shure SM57/8  and almost any preamp as long as there's no unpretty distortion (;  ...   It would be way better than doing any kind of DSP to fix a track with microphone input distortion...  Either that, or go ahead and put the intro segments through the Waves Q10 telephone preset and sweep the group of bands around (while maintaining their preset relationship to each other) in order to find the telephone sweet spot for his particular voice.   It will still sound distorted, but it might sound deliberate, and that is almost as good as if it sounded "right."

Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

jdg

Re: Reducing Proximity/Overmod Distortion ???
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »

even recording into his built in laptop mic probably will sound better.
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.