R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cubase SX vs. Logic Pro  (Read 18676 times)

Giovanni Speranza

Cubase SX vs. Logic Pro
« on: June 06, 2004, 09:12:12 AM »

Your opinion about:

Stability?
Sound quality?
Boudled plugins rating?
Performance?
Ease of use?

Eliott James

Re: Cubase SX vs. Logic Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 12:48:25 AM »

Depends on whether you're on Mac or Windows. Logic Pro runs very well on the Mac (all it will run on) and Cubase does far better on Windows.

FWIW, Logic is very stable, more features than I'll ever use, and the plug-ins are decent.

Zoesch

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 12:51:05 AM »

Why not Nuendo instead of Cubase? Unless you're not that interested in the surround sound and scoring to picture features that is.
It has always been Ringo's fault

Nathanael Iversen

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 01:13:21 PM »

Hmmm.  I'm in the "I use Logic Pro and it has more features than I can use" camp.  Logic is VERY powerful and VERY big - I can't say that it is easy to use, though I've made my way pretty well and am quite comfortable now.

Logic Effects - no beefs with the EQ used in moderation (less than 3 db cuts typically for me), reverbs stink big time - except Space Designer which is outstanding.  I can't remember when last time I needed a compressor was, sorry.  Both have tons of relatively useless little sound mangler type plugins like phasers, stereo spreaders, etc.  Useful for sound design, not so useful for tracks outside of electronic styles.

That said, I'd imagine that you will find very few folk that would qualify as "power users" on both platforms.  For all but the biggest, most critical projects, probably either works just about as well.  If you are that type of high-end sequencing user, you are already using something and know exactly what you are missing.  This then becomes a simple evaluation for you.  If you are not that high end user, the final differences in feature set/sound/plug ins will be minute to non-existant.

The relevant issues are probably: learning curve/familiarity,and  availability of hardware platform (are you already a mac or pc guy).

Both programs can be extensively customized, extended via third party tools, etc.

What I would like is access to the new Nuendo plug in from Soundfield.  It would be great to rent a Soundfield mic and then use the plug in to manipulate the B-format afterwards.  Fingers crossed for an AU version of that plug....

Giovanni Speranza

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 05:23:22 PM »

Very clever!

mardyk

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 06:05:47 PM »

I find Logic to be extremely stable. Both under OS9 and OSX. The only thing that will bring it down is funky plugins. The sound is good. Very clear and punchy. The plugins are useful. The best thing is that they have sidechain capabilities which no third party plugins offer in the native world.
Logic performs well on my dual ghz mac. I never understood why people find it hard to learn.

mark fassett

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 12:27:08 AM »

Logic is probably more stable.  Logic comes with more plugins and better quality plugins.  More pros use Logic.  

I use SX.  It's easier to use IMHO, pretty stable though there can be installation issues.... but I'm really productive on SX now, I know it well.  

I think any way you go you'll be allright....

Eliott James

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 01:14:16 AM »

Hey Mark,
I like your album! Good stuff!

mark fassett

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 03:51:27 PM »

Thanks Elliot... much appreciated.

Your poetry is very lyrical... I assume since you're here you must do music, though there is nothing on your site.  If you anything I can hear, give me a shout.  

Errol

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 12:37:11 PM »

We unplugged a couple of weeks ago our Mac/logic running on digidesigns mix+++.

I checked nuendo just for fun in our studio.
I put it on our studio PC and was schocked by the difference in sound quality.

Some producers allready told me about the sound of cubase SX.
I couldn't believe that it was such a huge difference with logic/digidesign.

About stability I think it's the same as with logic with one big difference that you lose everything when working on a mac and with nuendo on pc there is a restore function.

When I dig deeper in nuendo I found it (don't tel my friends Embarassed) much more flexible then logic.
And I'm really suprised about that.
Comparing with protools is a joke.

Nuendo has a very good midi interface just like in cubase sx.
And the plugins are in mine opinion much better then the ones I have from logic.

Giovanni Speranza

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 04:57:39 PM »

Errol wrote on Tue, 15 June 2004 17:37

We unplugged a couple of weeks ago our Mac/logic running on digidesigns mix+++.

I checked nuendo just for fun in our studio.
I put it on our studio PC and was schocked by the difference in sound quality.

Some producers allready told me about the sound of cubase SX.
I couldn't believe that it was such a huge difference with logic/digidesign.

About stability I think it's the same as with logic with one big difference that you lose everything when working on a mac and with nuendo on pc there is a restore function.

When I dig deeper in nuendo I found it (don't tel my friends Embarassed) much more flexible then logic.
And I'm really suprised about that.
Comparing with protools is a joke.

Nuendo has a very good midi interface just like in cubase sx.
And the plugins are in mine opinion much better then the ones I have from logic.

Errol, when you use Logic as front end of Pro Tools you have the sound of Pro Tools only. Try Logic in native mode, and you will notice a sound that most people define the best DAW sound out there, at least like Nuendo.

Errol

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 03:50:57 AM »

Well, to be honest, on the new mac's I don't know this for sure.
Although some producers told me that they prefer to work with sx inplace of logic because of the sound.
But on the pc, logic is a joke in comparing sound with cubase or nuendo.

However, since we have a lot of songs made with logic (emagic user for 15 years) we will invest in a mac G5.
Also because we like finalcutpro and dvdpro.

But our main system in the studio will be nuendo.

I did a few omf exchanges from logic mac to nuendo pc and that works pretty good.
And again if I listen to the same song running on logic/digi or nuendo it's such a huge difference in quality.

I'm aware that digi is responsible for a big part of this.
I have heard also the HD system and ofcourse I have to admit that it sounds better then my mix++++.... but as a digi user for 10 years I'm used to hear always from digi that the next hardware exchange will give you more power and better sound quality. yeah right.

But HD sounds still not better then nuendo.

I even begin to believe I can mix in the box................ Very Happy

Hanjong Ko

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 06:49:11 AM »

As far as I know, all DAWs' summing bus should sound the same.  Now if you are talking about things like plugin quality, plugin delay compensation, etc., they do indeed sound different.  Logic is probably the only one that is missing full plugin delay compensation and no official/unofficial promise for it in future versions. (on aux, bus, group)  And that was one of my reasons to switch to Nuendo.

Giovanni Speranza

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 08:59:06 AM »

Hanjong Ko wrote on Wed, 16 June 2004 11:49

As far as I know, all DAWs' summing bus should sound the same.  Now if you are talking about things like plugin quality, plugin delay compensation, etc., they do indeed sound different.  Logic is probably the only one that is missing full plugin delay compensation and no official/unofficial promise for it in future versions. (on aux, bus, group)  And that was one of my reasons to switch to Nuendo.

It's not true that all DAWs summing bus sound the same. Every brands has a different mixing structure, rounding vs. truncating, dithering, summing tracks in groups of 10, and more.
The architecture of a DAW mixer is the key to a good sound.

innesireinar

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2004, 01:33:15 PM »

I own both and this is the list of the plus and minus of both from my point of view

SX plus:
- GUI in general
- Relationship between audio tracks and audio channel strips
- Clear and intuitive menu
- Possibility to convert many regions in to a part in order to have to move only one object when editing the song
- Catch function that allows not to loose midi events played  before the left locator
- Start rec at left locator setting

SX minus:
- Limited audio mixer
- Lack of aux channels
- Aux send signal path in mono (at least in 1.06)
- Lack of realtime bounce when in need to use external FX when mixing
- Lack of AU support
- Low performance on mac

Logic plus:
- Very high performance on mac
- Some superb plugs
- Useful I/O plug that allows to insert an external device in the channel (ex. a true analog LA-2A on the lead voice channel) if working with very low buffer size (low latency)
- Time machine
- Very stable on mac

Logic minus:
- Confuse and ridondant menu
- Old and monochromatic GUI with too small tools
- Free relationship between audio tracks and audio channel strips that create confusion
- Lack of true double pan on stereo channel strip (I hope Emagic replaces this actual stupid and unuseful balance)
- Aux send pre pan that forces to use dirmix plug in order to send the signal to FX input with the same setting of the channel pan (but at least there is good true stereo signal path in aux send)
- Lack of start rec at left locator when cycle is disable
- Few fader (and aux send) steps resolution (only 128 by the mouse)
- Lack of AAAAUUUUUTTTOOOOSSSSAAAAVVVEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Only mono rewire channels
- Lack of true two waveforms in stereo regions
- Lack of solo track in arrange (yes, I know, this can be done by the channel strip in arrange, but inserting many plugs, the solo button at the bottom of the strip goes below the lower edge of the screen) but from what I saw in the pictures at namm this lack has reamain.
- Lack of VST support
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 31 queries.