R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mic for Pendulum Quartet  (Read 4807 times)

acupunk

mic for Pendulum Quartet
« on: June 05, 2004, 11:49:39 PM »

Can you recommend a good mic to go with
my Pendulum Quartet?
for acoustics, vocals?

Jim Dugger

Re: mic for Pendulum Quartet
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 01:03:16 AM »

What kind of sound do you want?

I have the MPD-1, the pre from the quartet.  It sounds good with my Sen 441 (dynamic), AEA R84 (ribbon) and Neumann M147.

I think the sound you are looking for would be a greater criteria in selecting a mic than anything else.  

malice

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 01:13:58 AM »

acupunk wrote on Sun, 06 June 2004 05:49

my Pendulum Quartet?
for acoustics, vocals?

Huh,

hmmm,

Although I agree you have to see a recording chain as a combination of mics, pres, eventually comps, and ultimately performers , I can't help but thinking you should do this in this order :

1) find the performer
2) find a good mic that suits the performer according to the sound you look for
3) find a good pre that suits the performer and the mic ( according to the sound etc ...)
4) find whatever treatment that helps more than it fucks the sound.

A subsidiary question would have been : does the quartet works well with all type of mic  ? ( unusual impedance like for ribbons might be an issue, I agree)

To that better question I would say I would be surprised you find mics that sucks with Pendulum pres, but hey, I haven't test them all Smile

Good luck in your search

malice

sdelsolray

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 03:18:10 PM »

acupunk wrote on Sun, 06 June 2004 04:49

my Pendulum Quartet?
for acoustics, vocals?

I use a Pendulum Audio MDP-1A to record solo acoustic fingerstyle guitar.  After running through several mics, I've found I like the following small condensers:

Microtech Gefell M295
Schoeps CMC6/MK4

I liked these better than Neumann KM184s, the Earthworks cartioids and Josephson C42s.

I have not tried Microtech Gefell M300 or M200 series, Josephson Series 6 or the THE mics.

I've tried the lower end SDs, such as the SP C4, Rode NT5, Oktava MC012 and Marshall 603s.  While te Pendulum helps these mics a lot, they don't compare with the ones mentioned above.

As far as LDs go for acoustic guitar, I've owned or tried many, including Neumann TLM 103, M 149 and M 147, AEA R84 (ribbon), CAD VX2, Shure KSM 44, Microtech Gefell UM 92.1S, UMT 800 and M71S, Lawson M47, among others.  My subjective view is I like the MG UMT 800 and CAD VX2 the most of these, and the R84 is very nice too.

Dunno much about mics for vocal uses with the MDP-1A.  Hard to imagine how any mic could not sound great with the Pendulum pre.  Keep in mind that there are two different input tranny options with the MDP-1.  I use the "A" model, which uses the Jensen input tranny.

acupunk

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 04:42:03 PM »

I have a U99 and it sounds tuby through the pendulum
for acoustics. I want to check out the schoeps and Microtech gefell.
Thanks for the tip.

I also want to try the royer 121 or 122 for electric guitars.

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 10:49:14 PM »

A Brauner KHE has never let me down throught it... a Microtech Gefell UM-900 I have seems to work an play well with my "Quartet" [and the "Quartet II" prototypes I've had pass through the building]... I reckon it's more of what you're looking to achieve with the tone and texture of your recordings that will be the determining factor.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

boheme6

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 11:17:58 AM »

Hey guys..
I've been lurking here for a while - getting ready to redo my primary vocal chain.

I've been really eyeing the Quartet - and was thinking about the U195 as a mic to go with it.  I'll only be recording myself most of the time (kinda midrangey.. and crappy..voice) - vocals and some mic'ed guitar cabinet.

How does the U195 match up with the Quartet?  From what I've heard - it's hard to get a bad sound with either of these 2 items (though I'll try really hard).
"-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.