R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Let freedom (onion) ring!  (Read 4536 times)

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

Re: Let freedom (onion) ring!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 04:48:04 PM »

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 16:34

So, the real beef (pun intended) is not that the city planners are ceasing the building of more fast food resturants for one year (regardless of the reason).  

Is the problem that the city planners are trying to do anything in the first place?  

No, not at all.
They could and should decide if their city has enough of one certain thing or another.
All I know is that people will frequent what they want. Most folks who frequent (frequently) fast food restaurants won't go elsewhere even if given an alternative.

It takes a whole lot more effort to buy groceries and cook your own food.

There is no solution but to change minds, and how are you going to do that?

Take away choice?
Philip

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »

You know, I think this article is poorly written.  I think that is why I am confused.  This is an article about urban decay and economics, not obesity.

If I was in charge of this deal in South LA, I wouldn't even pretend this was a public health issue.  That might be one factor, but that's not the heart of the issue.  It just gets people's blood angried up and makes people afraid their choices are being taken away.

I'm not suggesting they try and change anyone's minds.  I'm totally in favor of people being able to choose whatever they want to eat, and it *is* a person's right to be fat if they want.

This city, as far as I can tell, can't attract any foodservice businesses *other* than fast food.  That, to me, is a very serious indicator of how unhealthy the city is, not how unhealthy its citizens are.  If the decision was in my hands, I might take a year to think about how I could improve the situation, too.  

I don't see anyone's choices being taken away.  The article seems to imply that some of the residents do, in fact, want more choices.  If the city can't recruit more business, it only makes sense to me that they should take pause to figure out why.  

Their obesity problem is an unfortuante side effect.  But I don't see that as The causal factor of their moratorium.  And if they say it is, maybe that is just because it is in vogue to presume to tell fat people what to do.  

But in actuality, they aren't telling anyone what to do or not to do, as far as I can tell.  They aren't keeping anyone from frequenting their place of choice.  

Berolzheimer

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »

Brad, they're not regulating individual choice, they're reigning in massive corporations with disproportionate influence over the community.  Anyone who lives there is still free to eat whatever the want, their just trying to hold open a little opportunity for some other, more beneficial businesses to get in there.

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Taproot

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 13:13

The nanny state needs to stop that, of course! The gov't has to take care of the people as they can't possibly do so themselves.

Now Brad, you can't possibly expect people to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. Why that's downright un-American!

Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 17:04

...I think that is why I am confused.

I haven't ever thought you were confused.

I feel there is something deeper here, something confounding.
Philip

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »

Berolzheimer wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 17:15

Brad, they're not regulating individual choice, they're reigning in massive corporations with disproportionate influence over the community.

I in no way mean disrespect but, who's choice is it to be influenced?
Philip

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 05:41:42 PM »

Taproot wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 17:22

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 13:13

The nanny state needs to stop that, of course! The gov't has to take care of the people as they can't possibly do so themselves.

Now Brad, you can't possibly expect people to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. Why that's downright un-American!

Responsibility?

That's when someone else does something bad that makes one do something bad, right?
Philip

Berolzheimer

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 06:44:34 PM »

Fiasco wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 14:38

Berolzheimer wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 17:15

Brad, they're not regulating individual choice, they're reigning in massive corporations with disproportionate influence over the community.

I in no way mean disrespect but, who's choice is it to be influenced?

The fast food comanys have huge piles of money and can buy up property-paying more than market value to prevent competitors from getting in there- and bribe city officials with campaign contributions- I'm not talking about the residents being influenced, but politicians & business property owners & developers.  Not people who live in the commuinty & care about it, people who are just out to make obscene profits & don't give a rat's ass about anything else.

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

danickstr

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 11:06:36 PM »

Berolzheimer is drinking the same kool-aid I am ...hats off to that...

maybe Brad is republican... they don't ever seem to understand the relevance of "catering" social programs....not that it is their fault, but it seems to escape them as a general rule, since they do not understand how victims can actually not be able to act proactively.

I actually don;t understand it all the time, but I simply accept is as reality, since it seems to be the status quo.
low income neighborhoods are "caught up in the game" so to speak, (forgive me for my bad attempt at colloquialism)  so they miss the relevance of not having a grocery store near by, and just go to the Jock in the Crotch  for a berger.  

Their thought process accepts the layout of the neighborhood as a given and not something that could be changed with a letter to the councilman.

But on a purely intellectual level, i agree with Brad 100%.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

bblackwood

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 11:17:38 PM »

danickstr wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 22:06

maybe Brad is republican...

Not in a million years...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

danickstr

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 11:22:03 PM »

OK sorry for that.   Embarassed
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 01:52:32 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 14:01

Promoting alternatives is great if it doesn't happen by limiting what some may want. They can give financial incentives to 'healthier' restaurants, stores, etc, but by limiting what someone may want, they are reducing one's freedom to choose because of what the government deems is 'good for you'.

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 14:13

but when the government starts legislating stuff like this, it ticks me off. What if the people want another fast food restaurant? The nanny state needs to stop that, of course! The gov't has to take care of the people as they can't possibly do so themselves.

You do realize history shows us that rights aren't taken away all at once, right?

I'm in complete agreement with Brad here.

Too much legislation and regulation will choke society to death!

Amen to Freedom and Choice... (a Libertarian at heart).

That said, next time in L.A. I'm making a special trip to:

http://www.roscoeschickenandwaffles.com/

Hopefully see Snoop there, I'm buyin' the wings.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Bill_Urick

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 07:10:09 AM »

So yesterday at lunch I stop in the Burger-Doodle. I knew I should have gotten the grilled chicken salad, but my inner cave man really wanted that hunk of cow meat. We typically prefer food that is high fat and high calorie as at one time that was important for survival. The fast food joints know this and give us what we want. You can't legislate away that kind of hard wired preference.

There is a difference between a city issuing building permits selectively and telling merchants how to conduct their business. And this is a real problem they are trying to address.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Taproot

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 08:12:25 AM »

[quote title=Jerry Tubb wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 23:52]
bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 14:01

I'm in complete agreement with Brad here.

Too much legislation and regulation will choke society to death!

Amen to Freedom and Choice... (a Libertarian at heart).

That said, next time in L.A. I'm making a special trip to:

http://www.roscoeschickenandwaffles.com/

Hopefully see Snoop there, I'm buyin' the wings.

JT

Amen JT. That's the only place in LA I can find grits. Good food. Somebody please save me from Roscoe!

As far as the whole fast food, trans fat B.S. is concerned, I believe it was Jay Leno that summed it up best. Rough quote: "I hear there's a new pizza diet out now.........it's called ONE SLICE!!!" Personal responsibility. Of course people will always come up with a million excuses to justify a "want" over a "need". It's the American way.  Rolling Eyes
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »

"LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Los Angeles City Council has approved a one-year moratorium on new fast-food restaurants in a low-income area of the city.

The moratorium unanimously approved Tuesday is a bid to attract restaurants that offer healthier food choices to residents in a 32-square-mile area of South Los Angeles.

Councilwoman Jan Perry says residents at five public meetings expressed concern with the proliferation of fast-food outlets in a community plagued by above-average rates of obesity.

Nearly three-quarters of the restaurants in South L.A. serve fast food. That’s a higher percentage than other parts of the city but the restaurant industry says the moratorium won’t help bring in alternatives.

Posted on Wednesday, July 30th, 2008."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.