R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Let freedom (onion) ring!  (Read 4535 times)

bblackwood

Let freedom (onion) ring!
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/fast_food_ban

I don't eat fast food, haven't had any in almost 14 years, but that's my choice. Can things really get this ridiculous?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jessica A. Engle

Re: Let freedom (onion) ring!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:38:40 PM »

Ummmm... the article says it would place a moratorium on building new fast food resturants in South LA because there aren't any healthy food source alternatives like grocery stores, and 30% of the residents there are obese.

I'm not sure I see what's so bad about this.  Even if they are lying about wanting people to eat healthier food, it sounds like they're trying to be responsible business people and diversify their local economy a little.  

Jay Kadis

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 11:28

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/fast_food_ban

I don't eat fast food, haven't had any in almost 14 years, but that's my choice. Can things really get this ridiculous?
It may appear ridiculous on the surface, but if you look deeper, there is a real problem.  Many low-income neighborhoods have no grocery stores, making preparing your own food far more difficult than we find in the suburbs.  When industrially-prepared food is all that is readily available, they then determine the nutritional content for the consumer.  As long as they are motivated by corporate profit they will use the cheapest ingredients, including many that are unhealthy like hydrogenated oils.

While this may not be the best solution, it is at least a recognition of the problem.

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 02:55:45 PM »

Recognizing the problem is fine, addressing it by essentially saying 'you're too stupid to make the proper decisions' isn't.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jay Kadis

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:59:15 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 11:55

Recognizing the problem is fine, addressing it by essentially saying 'you're too stupid to make the proper decisions' isn't.
That's not what it is saying at all.  It is saying we need to promote viable alternatives.

bblackwood

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:01:17 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 13:59

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 11:55

That's not what it is saying at all.  It is saying we need to promote viable alternatives.

Promoting alternatives is great if it doesn't happen by limiting what some may want. They can give financial incentives to 'healthier' restaurants, stores, etc, but by limiting what someone may want, they are reducing one's freedom to choose because of what the government deems is 'good for you'.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »

Brad?

Did you read this article?

"A report by the Community Health Councils found 73 percent of South L.A. restaurants were fast food, compared to 42 percent in West Los Angeles."

They just don't want to build any more.  For one year.  To try and lure other businesses into the area.  

Noone is forcing people to drive past the drive-thrus.  

Jess

bblackwood

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:13:29 PM »

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 14:09

Brad?

Did you read this article?

"A report by the Community Health Councils found 73 percent of South L.A. restaurants were fast food, compared to 42 percent in West Los Angeles."

They just don't want to build any more.  For one year.  To try and lure other businesses into the area.  

Noone is forcing people to drive past the drive-thrus.  

Now.....
do you wanna go out for some onion rings?

Jess

Hah, yes, I actually do read the articles before I post them...

I suppose some people just view the same thing in different ways, but when the government starts legislating stuff like this, it ticks me off. What if the people want another fast food restaurant? The nanny state needs to stop that, of course! The gov't has to take care of the people as they can't possibly do so themselves.

You do realize history shows us that rights aren't taken away all at once, right?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jay Kadis

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 03:25:40 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 12:13

You do realize history shows us that rights aren't taken away all at once, right?
With all the rights we've surrendered in the name of terrorism, this is what you worry about?  Somehow I don't get the idea you understood what the article actually said.  It's a one-year moratorium one new fast food restaurants.  It's not the Gestapo shooting hamburger consumers.

bblackwood

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 03:26:59 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 14:25

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 12:13

With all the rights we've surrendered in the name of terrorism, this is what you worry about?  Somehow I don't get the idea you understood what the article actually said.  It's a one-year moratorium one new fast food restaurants.  It's not the Gestapo shooting hamburger consumers.

It's not tough to understand, jay.

You know, nevermind...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jay Kadis

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 12:26

You know, nevermind...
Agreed.

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 03:29:38 PM »

Sorry Brad, I wasn't trying to be snide.  Of course I know you read it, I just don't understand why it makes you upset.  

I think I see your point, but building a resturant is not a "right".  One has to have permission from the city.  And I assume there are guidelines as to who gets permission and who doesn't.  Fast food places don't exist to address people's "wants" or "needs".  They exist to profit the company.  And if that means creating a market for fast food where there once was none, I am sure they would do it.  There is no evidence in the article that more fast food places are what the residents are clamoring for.  

It is the city's duty to take care of the city.  That is what city officials are hired for.  I've never been to South LA, but I do live along old RT66.  And there are many dead towns along the old highway where all the economy consists of is fast food resturants and maybe a gas station or a motel.  It is not exactly what I would consider flourishing.  And it's not the fault of the residents when a city dies like that.

Devin Knutson

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 03:58:37 PM »

Attracting grocery stores and/or more healthy alternatives won't necessarily help all that much.

This article is almost a year old, but was a real eye-opener for me.

"For most of history, after all, the poor have typically suffered from a shortage of calories, not a surfeit. So how is it that today the people with the least amount of money to spend on food are the ones most likely to be overweight?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/magazine/22wwlnlede.t.html
SpongeBob, reel it in, quick! Can't you hear the music?
That's a 4/4 string ostinato in D-minor!
Every sailor knows it means death!
    - Mr. Eugene H. Krabbs

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 14:38

... it sounds like they're trying to be responsible business people and diversify their local economy a little.  

The free market dictates what works where.
Philip

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 04:34:50 PM »

Fiasco wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 15:07

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 14:38

... it sounds like they're trying to be responsible business people and diversify their local economy a little.  

The free market dictates what works where.

So, the real beef (pun intended) is not that the city planners are ceasing the building of more fast food resturants for one year (regardless of the reason).  

Is the problem that the city planners are trying to do anything in the first place?  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.