R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Room measurment question  (Read 7452 times)

franman

Re: Room measurment question
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »

I would agree this looks way better.. What did you change? Speaker positioning? Listening position?? The peak just below 1K is almost certainly a reflection caused comb filter as Ethan pointed out..
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Gio

Re: Room measurement question
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 09:18:07 PM »

franman wrote on Fri, 26 September 2008 14:04

I would agree this looks way better.. What did you change? Speaker positioning? Listening position?? The peak just below 1K is almost certainly a reflection caused comb filter as Ethan pointed out..

Hi Francis,

Thanks for peeking in. I moved both the speaker and listening positions into the room further, and the listening position is closer to that 38% area. That brought up some low end, ( plus the addition of a few 6" traps). What made a big difference was putting my sofa in front of the console. That big null and peak between 90 and 200Hz flattened out nicely after that!

Almost there I think... Having the speakers on stands has introduced some new anomalies for me, as I'm used to how they sound on the meter bridge. I'm thinking of some sort of diffusion above my head...I have a 703 panel there now. The sweet spot is real narrow, and moving my head just a few inches changes thing quite a bit( hi freq phasey stuff). Would that help scatter things a bit?

Thanks again to Ethan,too!. This has been challenging, but quite the learning experience as well.

Regards,
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

franman

Re: Room measurment question
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 06:44:01 PM »

Gio.. (delayed response here)..

I don't suggest diffusion over the listening position in a production environment.. only (possibly) in home theaters or other environments that need spatial enhancement, where you won't be changing the way productions sound!!

Small phasey problems in the top end can sometimes we corrected with very minor adjustments of the final speaker position... balancing out the toe-in, exact distance symetry, etc..

otherwise, you've go an early reflection/comb filtering issue and it needs to be treated with absorption...
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.