R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toslink, I think, which will do the trick?  (Read 2106 times)

Blas

Toslink, I think, which will do the trick?
« on: July 21, 2008, 06:42:59 PM »

Have a situation where we are to the point of moving the 'noise maker' DAW's out of the control room.  I realize we will need to extend the normal computer cabling, but now need to give a closer look to the type of Toslink cables to run.  The system uses a Hammerfall 9652 as we feed the three sets of lightpipe, but I will need to increase the lenght to another 10-15 feet (total runs may be 25-30 foot).  Is this to a point of being concerned of being plastic optic, or do I need to consider 'glass'.
What is a tipping lenght that glass needs to be used?

Blas
Conjecture and theory are all well and good...but the proof comes out of the speakers - Fletcher
He who has said the pen is mightier than the sword, has never been in a pen & sword fight!- me

Emil "Gus" Gawaziuk

Re: Toslink, I think, which will do the trick?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:42:30 AM »

Glass.  As far a length and such, well, if you can get something that will interfere with a beam of light in a tube, interference may be the least of your worries.  The large tumor may be more of a concern.

Figure out your length, get ahold of a company that does large scale fiber work (T1 network stuff) in a telecom type environment.   Have them whip up the cables you need.  The termination process has gotten a lot easier and very cost effective in recent years (no more baking! yay!), and the price of the cables reflects this.

I'll check to see what Liberty offers in the way of fibre and tooling at work.  May be pleasantly surprised.
Wherever I shall go, that is where I will end up

Blas

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »

Gus, I still would like to know the 'tipping point' when plastic starts to become a problem in ADAT lightpipe.  Since I'm under the impression that a 25-30 foot run isn't considered great lenght.  I would sure like to be directed to a source that can answer that.
Hopefully others that deal in audio using lightpipe will join the conversation here!

Blas
Conjecture and theory are all well and good...but the proof comes out of the speakers - Fletcher
He who has said the pen is mightier than the sword, has never been in a pen & sword fight!- me

Emil "Gus" Gawaziuk

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 07:50:54 AM »

Everything I have read points to plastic having a usable limit of about 50 feet.  In reality it is closer to 30 feet, even then, tad iffy.  Something didn't sound 'right' when I tried out a 40ish footer one day on my CD player (had one in the shop or some reason, took it home just out of curiosity to give it a whirl), it was a plastic fiber cable.  Things sounded 'right' when the plastic was replaced by glass.

Apparently the theoretical max for the Toslink standard is 10 meters, glass or plastic.  If I was going 10 meters, glass.  Without a doubt.
Wherever I shall go, that is where I will end up

0dbfs

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 11:59:12 AM »

Shaxon does a ton of custom fiber and other custom molded cables on projects I have worked on.

http://www.shaxon.com/

Give them a call and see what they have to say.

I haven't talked to them about this particular application but they can most likely terminate toslink connectors to an appropriate glass fiber at any length you desire.

Cheers,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 18 queries.