R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AK-47's and pre's  (Read 5530 times)

Adam The Truck Driver

AK-47's and pre's
« on: July 11, 2008, 04:30:04 PM »

I have been wanting to get a Telefunken AK-47 for a while now, as my first major mic locker purchase, and I will have the cash in hand for it tomorrow, however I wanted a second opinion so to speak. I was wondering if a BLUE Blueberry or Woodpecker and a Robbie might be just as good as I can have one of those mics and that pre for just $400 more than what the AK-47 costs. Should I just go with the AK-47? I am planning to have Sebatron, and API pres later on in conjunction with the pres in an Ensemble. I continuously second guess myself. It is agony.

EDIT: I want an AK47 cause Fletcher says he can't recommend them highly enough. I've never even heard one.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Adam The Truck Driver

Re: BLUE mics/pres?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:56:02 PM »

Yeah I'm just getting the AK47.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

trock

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:50:34 PM »

let us know how you like it and what sources you used it on, its one i eye up from time to time also

and the other great thing about fletcher and mercenary is, if you doesn't work for you just send it back and try something else. try that with some others and get re stocking fee's etc etc

but good luck with it, its exciting!

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 12:21:18 AM »

I will that I can promise. I'm going to be doing a vocal session at Harvey's on the 24th and I'm hoping I can get the mic by then. Ended up not getting my cash today as I had thought I would. I'm selling an old car for this microphone. Still waiting on the deal to go through for the car.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Stephen Payne

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 05:21:47 PM »

There are sound files here:
http://telefunkenusa.com/literature/downloads/nashvilleDemos /

They are huge files though. I think the AK47 sounds great based on these demos. (I know>>Iknow)

Anyway, like it was mentioned, I think you might be able to return it but you better make sure because alot of places won't take mics back.
Steve

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:37:46 AM »

Try a bunch of things... my work, I'm sure is different from your work.  Yeah, I think the AK-47 mkII is one of the best mics I've ever used, especially in it's price range... but I don't have your sense of aesthetic, and I have no idea about the goals for your music.  Give several mics a shot before you get married to anything would be my advice.

Best of luck with the search!!

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

J-Texas

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Fri, 11 July 2008 18:56

Yeah I'm just getting the AK47.

Bought one at AES in NY. As Randy Jackson says: "It was awwwite"

Sold it on Ebay. The 149 sounded better than that. The Elux blew it out of the water.

I see that mic as being really nice for a female voc (off the top of my head).

When I heard it NY it sounded great... like a trade show or something, you know? It wasn't the goto that I wanted it to be.

2 cents. But, opinions are like assholes, right? I got one! I am one? (how does that go again?)  Rolling Eyes
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:41:58 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 14 July 2008 04:37

Try a bunch of things... my work, I'm sure is different from your work.  Yeah, I think the AK-47 mkII is one of the best mics I've ever used, especially in it's price range... but I don't have your sense of aesthetic, and I have no idea about the goals for your music.  Give several mics a shot before you get married to anything would be my advice.

Best of luck with the search!!

Peace.

Unless I can try it without buying it, looks like I'll have to buy it...and if I don't like it I'll send it back...right Fletcher?
Will be ordering it this coming Friday I think and have it with me at ITRS the 24th for the test. It (AK47mkII) has charactoristics in relation to a U47, or not at all? It will be used for voice for now if it is a keeper, and my voice can range anywhere from Bon Scott/David Bowie to Klaus Mein/Arnel Pineda
type timber and pitch. Will also use it on drums and other acoustic instruments later if I like it on my voice to start. In those other uses will it be difficult to find it a match for pairing?
EDIT:
Do you think that a C&T Studio Vocalist might be a better choice for me in this application? Perhaps it doesn't matter. I'll try the AK47 first...if it is a no go then the Vocalist and if it don't work maybe a Brauner Fet mic...whichever model is the one thats under 2 grand, and if that doesn't work...I don't know what the hell to try next thats in the right price range...certainly I could always spend considerably less than 2K and possibly be very happy.
ANOTHER EDIT:
I now see Telefunken has the R-F-T M216 Matrix...humm...if the AK-47 becomes a keeper...get another to match for stereo tracking or M216...you going to get one to try out Fletcher?
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29:51 PM »

bimp after edits...
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »

If they send us one to try it will eventually get tried.  As for mics... the Studio Vocalist is great, the M-16 mkII is great, the AK-47 mkII is great... but they're all great in different applications.  The only way to tell which will be great in your application will be to give it a go.

Wish I had a more difinitive answer for you but unfortunately, I do not.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 01:56:43 PM »

Thanks Fletcher...it's all casual...everything you have offered in opinion is greatly appreciated...talked to Adam today...I got the water in the kettle on the heat now so to speak.

How was London?
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 03:29

bimp after edits...

Bimp?

index.php/fa/9490/0/

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 16:18

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 03:29

bimp after edits...

Bimp?

index.php/fa/9490/0/

That is what I said...wasn't a typo. You got it. Sorry no pize though.

I got my federal return today so...oh and my stimulus check should be coming too...so...it's the AK for sure...a C42 I think and an RNP...the kettle is getting warmer...

EDIT:
I'll change my mind...thinking AK47 and an M2 now.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »

I ordered the AK-47 & an R84 with DJV mod today...will have them by Wednesday I hope to take to Harvey's for a vox session Thursday.
Fingers are crossed and I'm all happy and excited and stuff.

Cherrio!
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 12:03:19 AM »

I didn't get to use either microphone at Harvey's as of yet for lack of time mostly, but I did finally get to plug them in tonight and give both a good try out. I didn't have the greatest preamp, but I learned enough to know I am keeping both microphones and when I get a true high grade preamp they'll be ridiculously good sounding cause they sound pretty damn good on the cheapo preamp I used tonight. I used them both on vocals, and on acoustic guitar, and the AK-47 was also placed in front of a drum kit. Both mics...awesome in my opinion. Each capture my voice very nicely when doing my power ballad tenor, including that breathy stuff even from about 10" back and with no sibilance problems either. The front side of the R84 DJV has noticably more body, and the back side more top sparkle with less body but still not at all thin. The AK-47 was just as impressive but different on my voice but particularly in the omni pattern, again about 10" back while doing my power ballad tenor. Sound is smooth even when pushing my voice hard in my upper range. I believe it isn't a microphone with limitations or resrictions as to what sources it should/might be good with as I was told it was going to be more suited to female vocals. It suits my very male voice no sweat to my ear. It is full bodied and clear on my voice with no hyped high end nor muffled sounding highs. The lows in directional patterns can have plenty of proximity effect, I believe could be useful, but I'm not one of those singers that needs or wants the microphone close at least in doing my power ballad tenor stuff. It and the R84 capture the breathy whispery stuff very nicely too up closer. I imagine it could make an acoustic guitar sound larger than life used in close though I didn't try it on that for some reason. I know it made the kick sound very prominent set about 10ft back front and center and about 6ft up, and also 6ft back and about 4ft up in the overall sound of the drum kit. Thats all I can think of at the moment. Thats all I tried actually. The preamp was a cheapo live mixer preamp. I'm going to get something way better later on...Manley TNT is what I want I think...though several others have been recommended...and thanks for that...maybe the AEA TRP?
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 19 queries.