R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Friends don't let friends over compress... please!!  (Read 13377 times)

Fletcher

Re: Friends don't let friends over compress... please!!
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2008, 09:33:36 AM »

Interestingly, I've been playing with the Burgin McDaniel "Komit" compressors for the last several weeks... last night I had an acoustic guitar track where one chord just kept getting in the way of the vocal [it was hit too hard... every time].

With the 'brickwall limiter' function on the "Komit" I was able to control that hit, and with the compression even out the player's performance without what I consider the nasty effects of compression.  This thing is one of the few 'dynamic range control' devices I have ever encountered where I can use it as an "effect" [which is rare that I want to], or simply have it hold things in place without it adding much of it's own opinion!!

The only other device I've met like this is the GML 8900 which is [cough] "cost prohibitive" for my studio.

Just felt like sharing.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2008, 11:38:19 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 07:39

Again I was riding in the car with the kid... and again she was playing stuff she likes... and again I heard that fucking Waves piece of shit all over everything getting in the way of the fucking music.

There were some great songs [and some shitty ones] that she played... the problem was I could barely tell one from the other as everthing was flatter than a pancake and the presentation as emotional as a shoe horn.

Between shitty plug in compression and that gawd awful "auto tune" horseshit it's no wonder why the neighbor kids continue to annoy the snot out of me with Zeppelin!!

I can relate,

I've been brought on board to mix a Bluegrass album.

Yesterday a friend of mine and I listened to the rough mixes provided by the recording engineer, and when I opened the PT sessions, it asked for the dreaded waves "+Ultra$%^&ifier-ification" plugin. Needless to say, my friend's PT rig does NOT have this installed, thank heavens.

We listened, ad then made ugly faces. The guy had "creatively" squashed the music. To the point of distortion. Wow. and he thought his mixes were great, and that he wanted to mix the album. Maybe not....

Most Bluegrass does not use much compression nor limiting. Ever. Appparently, this engineer thought otherwise. Even though he had been given finished CDs as examples of what to go for.
I'm very happy to say that I got picked to mix the album, as I have had the chance to work on all kinds of music, and I always try to get the sounds that are inherent to each style, REGARDLESS of what I think sometimes. I really look forward to getting these songs to shine the way they should, and not squish them into the 21st century.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Andy Simpson

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 12:41:37 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 05 August 2008 15:33

Interestingly, I've been playing with the Burgin McDaniel "Komit" compressors for the last several weeks... last night I had an acoustic guitar track where one chord just kept getting in the way of the vocal [it was hit too hard... every time].

Compression as a solution to a problem caused by other compression?

Was the vocal in question itself compressed?

Imagine a scenario where a very compressed vocal was mixed with an uncompressed guitar track. In order to have the dynamic guitar consistently 'behind' the un-dynamic vocal, we have to compress the guitar.

I would contend that this 'problem' does not exist where a recording is made without compressors - this is my experience.

Andy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.