R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: imp19 discussion  (Read 24937 times)

YZ

Re: imp19 discussion
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Sat, 12 July 2008 19:35

YZ – Weird room verb. IMO this needed to either be big or dry. Drums are very small. I’m starting to adjust from the last one. Yeah. There’s really nothing to support all of that cymbal, guitar, vocal stuff. The bass is carrying the whole rhythm it sounds like. Nice lead. Nice dynamics in this one. I think some 2 buss would have helped to seat this vocal in there. I like it up front, but it’s beginning to sound like a karaoke tape. 2 buss would gel this together, but don’t lose the dynamics. I like that you saw the necessity of  a fade out on this one and the reprise of the chorus was excellent. That was my second choice. I just like the false ending idea more. Opinions, options. Great idea. By the way… your vocal sounded out of place. Like it was a beat ahead or something. : )

Thanks for the comments.

I should have worked that Kick better.
There is bus compression...  up to 4dB in the loudest parts. It just does not pump neither crush, just adds a little control.

regards,

YZ

YZ

« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2008, 11:52:19 PM »

osumosan wrote on Thu, 10 July 2008 14:54

YZ
Where's the beef i.e.: lowend? The tracks are left a little raw. The drums need to drive the track more.

Thanks for the comments.

Low end: I thought it sounded good that way; the kick could be better, thou.

The rawness: why change what I feel sounds right?

I used to mix with a lot of drums, I am trying to leave that addiction behind nowadays; drums exist to provide rhythm, not to dominate the song.
regards,

YZ

YZ

« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2008, 12:00:37 AM »

Chris Ilett wrote on Thu, 10 July 2008 15:42

YZ - Another one who seems to bury everything under the guitars when it gets loud. That lead guitar at the end sounds so out of place.
More later

Thanks for the comments.

The gtr sounds out of place time or level-wise?

Interesting how tastes vary.

regards,

YZ

YZ

« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2008, 12:07:34 AM »

ATOR wrote on Fri, 11 July 2008 08:30

YZ
Nice full leadvox, this is the only vox of all mixes I really liked. Drums are a bit thin in comparison. Guitar solo is too loud. Good mix.

Thanks.

The drums were a bit 'ambient' to begin with, and I was going for a less processed mix; I decided to go with it instead of fighting it and concentrated on the vocal treatment.

The mix is similar in vein to what I would have done in the 1980s under the conditions I commented on my first post.

Amazing how much easier it was for me to get a good drum sound happening when working in analog. This 'DAW-with-headphones' thing is a whole new world.

regards,

YZ

YZ

« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2008, 12:12:14 AM »

Patrik T wrote on Fri, 11 July 2008 15:03

YZ:
Bass is too sloppy. The playing is far from the best but can be fixed somewhat. Tone of
guitars and vox are not anywhere similar. The difference makes things sound more like a
mix than a song...

Thanks for the comments.

care to elaborate on the gtr/vox tone part?

regards,

YZ

YZ

« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2008, 12:15:22 AM »

spoon wrote on Fri, 11 July 2008 16:35

YZ - Nice verse vocals.  Kick is abit small.  Nice balance in general.  Like the long fade out.

Thanks.

Yeah, the kick could have been better. my bad.

regards,

YZ

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2008, 06:35:30 AM »

rankus wrote on Tue, 15 July 2008 18:50

Well I'm thinking more like "great acting" as opposed to "over acting"

IMO There was no great acting on this imp  (including my own mix BTW) only over acting.

I feel a mix should represent the song, not present itself as a separate identity.

With the exception of a few, these IMP mixes are overdone.
Philip

YZ

« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2008, 08:29:09 AM »

Fiasco wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 07:35

rankus wrote on Tue, 15 July 2008 18:50

IMO There was no great acting on this imp  (including my own mix BTW) only over acting.

I feel a mix should represent the song, not present itself as a separate identity.

With the exception of a few, these IMP mixes are overdone.

While I agree with with both about what happened in general terms on this IMP, I disagree about my mix; I do not feel I've overdone anything...
regards,

YZ

j.hall

« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2008, 10:27:26 AM »

NelsonL wrote on Tue, 15 July 2008 18:04

I assume you (J dot) were too busy or didn't read that part of my email? I had my mix done early but was camping on the due date.

OH MAN.  1 part forgot, one part too busy.  i even had the track ready to upload for you.

SORRY!!!!

we'll start another one really soon.

j.hall

« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2008, 10:33:13 AM »

YZ wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 07:29

While I agree with with both about what happened in general terms on this IMP, I disagree about my mix; I do not feel I've overdone anything...

i have such little time to review all these, but i'll give you my thoughts on your mix.

indeed i think your mix is NOT overdone?  in fact, i would say it's very underdone.

everything except the drums sound pretty good.  but drums are SO key to a killer mix.

that verb on the acoustic guitar needs to have a LPF on it to get rid of that splashy top end that makes it sound really digital.  i think all the BGV's could stand a dose of "vibe" but that's just personal taste.

the question is, which is worse?  underdone or overdone?

if i were answering the question i'd say "both"

YZ

« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2008, 11:01:20 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 11:33

YZ wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 07:29

i have such little time to review all these, but i'll give you my thoughts on your mix.

indeed i think your mix is NOT overdone?  in fact, i would say it's very underdone.

everything except the drums sound pretty good.  but drums are SO key to a killer mix.

that verb on the acoustic guitar needs to have a LPF on it to get rid of that splashy top end that makes it sound really digital.  i think all the BGV's could stand a dose of "vibe" but that's just personal taste.

the question is, which is worse?  underdone or overdone?

if i were answering the question i'd say "both"

Thanks so much for your comments.

They actually match my own perception of my mix.

My post was more in the vein of "hey, I did not think I overmixed, much on the contrary".

And you're right, a mix has to be 'done', not over or under.

Looking forward to the next IMP!
regards,

YZ

Chris Ilett

« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »

J's mix is actually really good.  Evil or Very Mad

Loads of energy, great sound. Personal preference on a couple of things:

Delay on on of the guitars - didn't like it.

Guitars panned a little too wide for my liking.

As a whole, it really worked.

J - my kick was ok in my opinion, but I couldn't quite get that sound you did (which is what I was aiming for). I had some problems with around 500 - 1K (from memory). Couldn't get the balance.

j.hall

« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »

Chris Ilett wrote on Wed, 16 July 2008 10:59

J - my kick was ok in my opinion, but I couldn't quite get that sound you did (which is what I was aiming for). I had some problems with around 500 - 1K (from memory). Couldn't get the balance.

you and YZ both did the same move holding the drums out.  i think that makes a simple rock song like this take WAY too long to get moving.

your bass guitar is way too big. guitars are getting swallowed up in it.

that verb your using is all digital sounding.  roll off the top end to get rip of that splashiness

the snare has a great "snare" tone, but lacks power.  back off the bottom mic and work that top mic more.  i had to boost the snot out of the top end of the top mic to get it working well.

your vocal balances are off.  the BGV's come in louder then the lead.  IMO, you never want that to happen.  they can match the lead, but should not dominate.

the bridge arrangement is a good idea, i'd just bring the drums in earlier and ditch the arena rock kick.  takes are from the forward power of the song.

your kick is decent, but the bass is just killing your mix.

you need to compress the vocals more.  the chorus is just out of control.

i'd EQ (in a really odd way) all those "do ya's" to give them some vibe.  right now they just sit there kinda muddy sounding and lifeless.

Chris Ilett

« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2008, 12:48:48 PM »

Yeah I was trying out a multiband compressor, and ended up piling everything into a bunch of buss compressors/reverbs.

This is really good for me, as apart from anything else - I don't know my monitors yet. Or my room. Or what I'm doing. Or...  Surprised

After hearing your backing vox, and a couple of other guys, I can see I let them run riot, and I guess I let that bass dump all over the mix.

Thanks for the feedback

J-Texas

« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »

J.

Your mix definitely has the "J.Hall" print on it.

You had to have used a sample on the kick, huh? Not only was that big and solid, but it didn't have the little "double taps" from the beater. I put a gate on mine, but that one sounds great. For my taste, the snare was too even for me. I like the snare hitting a little above everything on this one. That's your drum buss sound, though and it does sound nice, even, and under control. Why did everybody decide on the Depeche Mode "Personal Jesus" delayed guitar?

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.