R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Variable phase control???  (Read 5758 times)

Juzblome

Re: Variable phase control???
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 12:15:58 PM »

Well this has been an educational morning for me.

Let's assume I'm micing a guitar cabinet with 2 mics. A 57 and akg 414,   I like the sound of the 57 close, and the 414 about 1.5' back.   I'm just looking for a way to eleminate some of the phasing issues in such a setup.  If the links that you guys left have something to help, then that will be perfect.  I'm not realy looking forward to building one.  I will build some more variable pads though. (there easy)  If anyones interested in those, I can hook you up.

Thanks for all the help and links.

Why do you have to start with 0 post over here? Why is the R/E/P set apart from M.A.R.S.H ??
"NO, NO, NO.......................................
I ONLY DRINK COFFEE BETWEEN 4PM AND 4AM."-------
Erasehead

ted nightshade

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 02:14:49 PM »

Juzblome wrote on Tue, 01 June 2004 09:15

Let's assume I'm micing a guitar cabinet with 2 mics. A 57 and akg 414,   I like the sound of the 57 close, and the 414 about 1.5' back.   I'm just looking for a way to eleminate some of the phasing issues in such a setup.  If the links that you guys left have something to help, then that will be perfect.  I'm not realy looking forward to building one.  I will build some more variable pads though. (there easy)  If anyones interested in those, I can hook you up.

Why do you have to start with 0 post over here? Why is the R/E/P set apart from M.A.R.S.H ??

That's a pretty easy job- not a lot of very highs or very lows in a guitar, so it's not hard to get the relatively limited bandwidth to play nice in phase with another similar signal. Also the 1.5' is not much distance. An IBP jr. ought to do you quite nicely, or you might do OK with a track slip in the DAW.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

Fibes

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 02:36:42 PM »

I'm not into sliding shit in the DAW, it doesn't give me the effect i'm after. OTOH i really like the concept of being able to dial in the effects of phase without having to move mics around too much. Remember that phase issues can be good too. Sometimes band passing the second mic can add/take away the right stuff. I'm looking forward to putting jonathan's stuff through it's paces although Zoesch's box sounds splendid for more reasons than i can count.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Phillip Graham

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 03:13:01 PM »

Juzblome wrote on Tue, 01 June 2004 12:15

Hello again,

The "phasing" issues you describe are really the sounds of comb filtering, brought on by the differences in phase between your two microphones.

If you had two identical microphones picking up the exact same signal at different distances from the guitar cabinent, then all you'd have to do is delay one to the other.

As it stands now, with different mics in different locations, this process has diminishing utility.

The simplest thing to do is play with microphone placement.  If you move the second mic farther away, you will generally increase the density of the comb filters (which can be a pleasing effect).  If you are looking to perceive the mics as two separate sources, then they should be on the order of 10 feet apart.

Beyond that you can futz with one of these all pass filter boxes that has been mentioned here, or find a plugin that implements these for your DAW.  Zoesch is right about the circuits being fairly simple.
Phillip Graham

Juzblome

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 03:37:09 PM »

the 1.5' on the second mic was just a guick number that pooped in my head.  I only get that close if i gotta use a guitar in a booth.(which I fucking hate!)    Usualy it would be in the live room at about 5-10'.

Again thanks for all the help everyone.

I gotta go back to looking through about 30 Hard drives for some idiot rappers 2 year old shit that probably doesn't exist anymore because he didn't buy a drive or pay for backups although he swears he did buy a drive and i just can't find it.
Damn what a runon sentence.
"NO, NO, NO.......................................
I ONLY DRINK COFFEE BETWEEN 4PM AND 4AM."-------
Erasehead

Zoesch

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2004, 12:17:14 AM »

One thing that I guess need to be discussed is what kind of delay element and how many...

If you have fixed delay taps that you add you are limited, on the other hand variable delay taps have problems of their own.

I've been thinking about using Gm-C cells for the delay elements but making them variable is a time consuming effort.
It has always been Ringo's fault

ted nightshade

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2004, 11:36:35 AM »

Zoesch I'm glad you're on the case!

And you know, there is a whole lot to be said for placing the mics just right to solve this problem during tracking. You can mix the two mics to mono in isolation headphones and move one of them around until bliss is achieved.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 17 queries.