R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: got to do somthing about the sliding glass door.  (Read 5906 times)

brett

got to do somthing about the sliding glass door.
« on: July 04, 2008, 02:47:53 AM »

Control room is upstairs in my loft. Bedroom down stair below. Has a sliding door and I live on a busy street. Drives me nuts when I am trying to sleep but I want to quiet it and track. I have a open loft everywhere else and windows everywhere . This si the only palce i can change.

The bathroom in that room is usable but would prefer the bigger space for obvous reasons.

Need to tame this sliding glass door. Was thinking of building a wall in front of it or getting a professional sliding door that are used in studios so the light still comes in..

Help me out glen! Frame it and just pop in a dual pane slider...seal it up????? what product is used in studios for double glass doors? that is reasonably cheap. I rent. Will be here a while but will have to pull it when I go.

jimmyjazz

Re: got to do somthing about the sliding glass door.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 03:02:50 AM »

I wouldn't make significant structural mods to a rental, but that's just me.  Have you looked into mass-loaded vinyl sheet?  Hanging it inside the door might cut a lot of the transmitted sound.  Haven't used it myself, but I know it's out there . . .

rankus

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 01:29:53 PM »

Or perhaps the local used building supply shop may have a cheaper used one of the same size that you could install to double up?

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

brett

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »

I don't think just vinyl will work. then the door is non functional as well. if I frame the thing out with some 4x4 and pop another slider in it should come out easy when I move. a little drywal repair and some paint to fix it. no big deal. should I use a triple pane door? can't find any off the shelf sellers of these kinds of doors... only installers advertising this type of product.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 11:43:08 PM »

brett wrote on Sat, 05 July 2008 14:49

I don't think just vinyl will work. then the door is non functional as well. if I frame the thing out with some 4x4 and pop another slider in it should come out easy when I move. a little drywal repair and some paint to fix it. no big deal. should I use a triple pane door? can't find any off the shelf sellers of these kinds of doors... only installers advertising this type of product.

???

Nothing you're talking about would be as innocuous as hanging some mass-loaded vinyl sheet over the door.  It would remain completely functional -- just push the sheet aside to get in and out -- and it would probably give you roughly the same transmission loss as a scabbed-together wall + another door.

You do realize that mass-loaded vinyl is heavy as hell?  It's basically lead sheet.

brett

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 02:51:35 AM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Sun, 06 July 2008 04:43

brett wrote on Sat, 05 July 2008 14:49

???

Nothing you're talking about would be as innocuous as hanging some mass-loaded vinyl sheet over the door.  It would remain completely functional -- just push the sheet aside to get in and out -- and it would probably give you roughly the same transmission loss as a scabbed-together wall + another door.

You do realize that mass-loaded vinyl is heavy as hell?  It's basically lead sheet.

I am looking for a company that makes a 3 pane sliding door. I am not slapping vinyl on it. that doesn't sound like an air tight or aesthetic solution by any measure.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »

You said "cheap".  You also don't own the place.  Sorry I tried to help.  

brett

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:23:44 AM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 14:17

You said "cheap".  You also don't own the place.  Sorry I tried to help.  

It just wasn;t what I was asking. I asked what sliding door might work or be used in studio construction that is reasonably cheap. I did not ask for a cheap way to cover it up. I am looking for something specific. Renting or not the room is all I have and this is no different than acoustic panels or any other required treatment for professional results. I'll do what I have to do and deal with it later if I move. I am sure i'll be here for years to come.  

I just can't seem to find a triple pane anywhere. One company has them but they also do the instalation. they are not cheap at all $2500. I have found "insulated" glass sliders for around $500. Not sure how many panes though. That's not too bad. Framing and paint would be another $50. I'll probably go with one of those.  

jimmyjazz

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 08:31:18 AM »

From your original post, it sounded like you were open to more than one idea.  What did "seal it up" mean?  I took it to mean you would consider going so far as to get rid of the door functionality entirely.

I have no idea where to find the type of door you're looking for.  It doesn't surprise me that it's expensive.

I hesitate to recommend alternatives, because you seem very set on a specific solution, but what about a framed wall with a normal, heavy well-sealed hinged entry door, presumably which swings into your space?  If you hung some drapes inside the existing sliding glass doors, then from outside, there would be no appearance of anything unusual.  From inside your room, it would look like a standard egress.

brett

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 03:27:38 AM »

i thought of that as well, but i like the idea of still having natural light in the room and it is a small room and the swinging door would get in the way when opening. I said seal it up because the stock door is not air tight and sound is transmiting in through the bad seals.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 08:56:26 AM »

brett wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 02:27

i thought of that as well, but i like the idea of still having natural light in the room and it is a small room and the swinging door would get in the way when opening. I said seal it up because the stock door is not air tight and sound is transmiting in through the bad seals.

You could do a pocket door.  (Just thinking out loud.  I know you want another slider.)

gullfo

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »

i'd just add enough frame to hold the new inner door and create a decent seal. if cost is a concern, then try out the $500 slider. if you can afford more, grab a nice exterior grade Pella which is about twice that but is a much better constructed door. plan on taking the frame and door down when you move...

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3822/exampleinteriorslideraz4.th.jpg
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

jimmyjazz

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 09:13:30 AM »

Lowe's carries a very nice vinyl Pella product called "Thermastar", which is intended for new construction.  I checked their website and the Burbank store shows this 6' slider is in stock for $322:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&prod uctId=204208-40446-204208&lpage=none

They also have other models, and presumably, other nearby Lowe's stock some of the Thermastar products that the Burbank store chooses not to stock.

brett

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 05:58:25 AM »

I saw that as well before I posted. I was unsure of just what thermastar is. It says insualted but it doesn't reference dual pane.... In fact none of the lowes doors said dual pane. I think the dual pane argon gas filled would be a good one for me to look at. I think I'll just go down to lowes and take a look. Maybe they can order me the thicker dual pane door. Thanks Glen, and Jimmy

brett

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 06:02:18 AM »

gullfo wrote on Fri, 11 July 2008 01:32

i'd just add enough frame to hold the new inner door and create a decent seal. if cost is a concern, then try out the $500 slider. if you can afford more, grab a nice exterior grade Pella which is about twice that but is a much better constructed door. plan on taking the frame and door down when you move...

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3822/exampleinteriorslideraz4.th.jpg

I was thinking of using 4x4 framing the same size as the existing door or as close as possible.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.