R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what are recording schools teaching?  (Read 7417 times)

rvdsm

Re: What good students really need is industry guidance
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 11:38:19 PM »

bignate wrote on Tue, 08 June 2004 22:04

What do you feel people like myself should concentrate on to be able to effectively locate jobs and work in the industry?  What other things can you recommend we do to set us apart from the rest?

The only advice I can give you is to be willing to learn as much as possible even if you don't think it has anything to do with your choice of careers, meet as many people as possible and build/maintain relationships with lots of artists, songwriters and musicians.

Bottom line; recognition can come from anywhere and most often from where you least expect it.
We walked along and talked along till we came to the levelest ground....then I picked up a stick of wood and I knocked that Boston bitch down!

Fletcher

Re: what are recording schools teaching?
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 08:15:23 AM »

robdarling@mail.com wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 09:40

I think a standardized test would be a pita- it would only reinforce the biggest weakness most students already have (which I have to beat out of them), which is that they think there is a set of things they have to learn, and then everything is ok- "Hey, I pass the test- give me a job."

Possibly... but there is basic knowledge that I want the kid to have before he sets foot in my room... the difference between balanced and unbalanced... the difference between -10 and +4... how to operate a patchbay, how an equalizer works, how phantom power works, matching reference levels below 0dbfs, or god forbid, how to actually align a 24 track deck, how to properly fill out a set of recall sheets... I mean real basic shit.

You can't teach 'people skills', they'll either learn to shut the fuck up and pay attention or they won't, simple as that... but I think there is, or should be a minimum set of tools they should have before they leave these skools.  I for one couldn't give a rat's ass if they're an SSL Zen Master or not... that's not their job, their job when leaving school is to assist on a session and learn the craft... they are not going to jump into the chair 20 minutes after graduation they're going to be documenting shit for someone who is sitting in the chair so in my twisted mind they should have the skills to perform that task.

The thought about a basic competency test was just to standardise and define the basic shit these kids should be learning at these skools as opposed to learning the Jedi Knight SSL crap these joints think they're teaching them.

That's all I was talking about... I don't really see how a basic tool set could end up being a pain in your ass, I only see it as hours saved in my life where I don't have to teach these kids the rudiments of a patchbay, or how to document shit, or explain why you can't do ____, or why plugging the guitar directly into the patchbay isn't going to work... or that if I have to tell the little prick that I hate fucking pickles on my sandwich one more time I'm gonna tell him with the end of my fucking boot [yes, I think there should be an entire semester dedicated to getting the lunch order correct, and yes, I sincerely believe they should be tested on this skill before exiting one of these fine learning establishments].
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 01:40:51 PM »

A decent "basic skills" test is important in any business.  With my old software company we had a fairly basic test for programming skills - nothing fancy, manuals allowed, use whatever language you wanted if C wasn't your best.  It was amazing how many seemingly good candidates got their asses whipped by that little test.
http://www.scotthelmke.com/team-downbeat-1.jpg

Invisible Member

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2004, 02:03:15 PM »

Generally for Engineers like Mechanical, Aero and electricals, it used to be once upon a time that an intern was a college student working (summer job) in a field related to his/her degree so that they got "real" hand on experience so that when they graduated they were somewhat familiar with something other than pictures and text. It was also supposed to build important relationship with possible future employers. In some fields you don't get your degree unless you did your internship to the satisfaction of the intern boss. There was a relationship of the academic part to the lab part, now there is more focus on the academics without alot of the get your hands dirty ways of the past. When audio starts to injure or kill people because of poor mic choice nothing will probably change. I do remember that Bob Olhsson had to take an IQ test once to get an engineering job. Maybe it should make a comeback? But if they do Im going to fight for a grandfather clause so I can keep my stuff Smile

Peace,
Dennis

bignate

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2004, 05:46:28 PM »

rvdsm:

Thank you for your advice.  I have made good friendships with fellow students in the program and with a few of the musicians I have recorded.  I hope I always leave a lasting good impression on each new person I meet regardless of a connection with my profession or not.  In the end, I do understand that networking plays a large part, and I could still use a hefty dose of it.

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 09 June 2004 07:15

Possibly... but there is basic knowledge that I want the kid to have before he sets foot in my room... the difference between balanced and unbalanced... the difference between -10 and +4... how to operate a patchbay, how an equalizer works, how phantom power works, matching reference levels below 0dbfs, or god forbid, how to actually align a 24 track deck, how to properly fill out a set of recall sheets... I mean real basic shit. . . .

. . . That's all I was talking about... I don't really see how a basic tool set could end up being a pain in your ass, I only see it as hours saved in my life where I don't have to teach these kids the rudiments of a patchbay, or how to document shit, or explain why you can't do ____, or why plugging the guitar directly into the patchbay isn't going to work... or that if I have to tell the little prick that I hate fucking pickles on my sandwich one more time I'm gonna tell him with the end of my fucking boot [yes, I think there should be an entire semester dedicated to getting the lunch order correct, and yes, I sincerely believe they should be tested on this skill before exiting one of these fine learning establishments].

Fletcher, I agree with you 100%.  I have concerned my studies in school so far with what is going to make me a better assistant, while still learning the tasks of an engineer. There are a handful of good students coming out of recording schools, but we represent a very small minority in the sea of graduates.

On the same note as my previous post, what would you recommend GOOD students and aspiring AEs such as myself do to set us apart from the rest of the pack when it comes to finding work?  I'd hate to be glazed over in applying for work just because some people before me, from the same school or similar schools, were not suited for this career.  There are talented and hard working students out there, but we really need advice from our future employers as to getting work.

Once again, thank you and everyone else for your time in assisting other quality students and myself on this forum.

-Nate Bishop
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.