R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A New Plan To Make Money In Music  (Read 2360 times)

hargerst

A New Plan To Make Money In Music
« on: June 05, 2004, 02:53:00 PM »

From January, 2002

I started thinking this morning that maybe Mariah Carey has the right idea.  She signs with EMI for $80,000,000.00, then gets them to pay her $28,000,000.00 NOT to sing.  While we're not exactly in that same position, the idea is still good.

"Hello, my name is Harvey Gerst and I have the Rolling Stones in my studio right now.  What?  Yes, they're all still alive.  They want to record another album, and I have microphones, and I'm not afraid to use them.  $10,000,000.00??  I don't think so.  Let's get serious.  Okay, $40,000,000.00, and you pay the taxes."  We got it, guys.  Sit tight while I make one more phone call.

"Hello, my name is Harvey Gerst and I have the Rolling Stones in my office right now.  What?  Yes, they're all still alive.  They want to do another tour.  $20,000,000.00 if they don't??  I don't think so.  Let's get serious.  Okay, $50,000,000.00, and you pay the taxes."

Ok, bring in N'Sync, and tell Eminem I'll be with him in about 20 minutes.  Get Britney and Cher on the phone, and hold my other calls.

It could work.  Look at the farmers.  The government has been paying some of them for years NOT to grow certain crops.  And what do the farmers do with the money they get?  They buy more land for NOT growing even more crops.  Some street musicians are so bad, clubs and businesses will pay them money to play somewhere else.

There's an old Marx Brothers movie routine that goes:

Chico: Hey boss, I'm gonna play you this song for $5.
Groucho: How much if you don't play it?
Chico: Oh, you can't afford that.

I watched a bit of the Super Bowl.  Mariah sang the national anthem.  I didn't know the word "the" could be broken up into 12 different notes.  Some of the notes were so high, my dog thought we were calling him.  The U2 half time show wasn't bad, but the crowd around the stage was a little too much for me.

I think when you're invited to sing at the Super Bowl, you lose whatever image you had before you appeared there and become some kind of icon.  I'm not sure that's a good thing.  It probably means your career has finally tanked.  I guess will see Eminem, Britney, and N'Sync at the next game.

Cher and Madonna don't count since they're constantly re-inventing themselves.  Like the common cold, they will always be with us, and there is no cure.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 17 queries.