R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mum....  (Read 5591 times)

j.hall

Mum....
« on: June 02, 2004, 03:00:48 PM »

anybody heard this band?

you can hear an mp3 here:

http://mp3.insound.com/download.cfm?mp3id=2119

i'm totally in love with this band

what do ya'll think?

Zoesch

Re: Mum....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 07:32:46 PM »

MUM is the story of a great band with vision (Yesterday Was Dramatic- Today is OK) that loses their vision because of the hype (Finally We Are No One) and descends into badly executed pseudo-experimental pop (Summer Makes Good)

I loved Yesterday Was Dramatic, it had all the good elements of Post-Rock mixed with IDM, electronica and noise rock... but since then it's been more of a chore to listen to their follow up albums.
It has always been Ringo's fault

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 09:46:36 AM »

i haven't heard any of the albums yet

just random cuts here and there

but the link i posted really grabbed me.....i found it to be a brilliant blend of fiona apple, sparkelhorse, and bjork

those icelandic artists have a knack for "enchanting".

Zoesch

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 10:01:23 AM »

I can guarantee you're gonna love Yesterday Was Dramatic... that album is just so unbelievably good (Incidentally, the only thing that was remotely soundling close to MUM at the time was platEAU which is/was a side project from cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy/Download fame) and get a kick or two out of Finally We Are No One, but Summer Makes Good is just unbearable, specially if you listen to the first two albums.

Iceland in general (And I extend that to Finland, Norway and Sweden) is full of very interesting music.

testtone

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 11:08:58 AM »

Sounds interesting, however the link you posted won't let me access the file. Anyone else having this problem?

Scratch that, 3rd times the charm...

Jason Phair

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 12:34:04 PM »

Someone suggested them to me, because I'm a huge fan of Sigur Ros.

The 4-5 songs I heard didn't particularly impress me.  It could have just been the song selections, but the melodies weren't that spectacular.
Jason Phair
Advanced Production Group
Dunkirk, NY
http://www.advancedproductiongroup.com

Formerly:
Sound Services
SUNY Fredonia

Get that fucking thing off my vocal will ya?

Thanks.

Meriphew

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 01:22:38 PM »

I picked up "Finally we are no one" a year or two ago and it just never grew on me. Maybe I'll pull it out and give it another listen.

Zoesch

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 02:50:50 AM »

testtone wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 01:08

Sounds interesting, however the link you posted won't let me access the file. Anyone else having this problem?

Scratch that, 3rd times the charm...

That's mainly because they're not that good at writing melodies, that's why I love their first album so much, they're good at quirky textured electronic post-rock... not poppy music

stickman

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 09:25:18 AM »

i dont have time to write a lengthy post, but all you guys have gotta be kiddin' me right?

one of the most amazing bands on the planet (and FWIW, im not a massive fan, i just listen).

have you seen them live zoesch? that singer is amazing! she is like an angel. all of them are amazing.

i admit, i thought "...today is ok" was there best for a while until i gave the others a better listen. that new one "summer makes good" is amazing! can i say amazing some more? before it was totally about the music (...today is ok is more instrumental), now its totally about the vocals for me on that new one.

...amazing...

e_shaun

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 02:03:53 PM »

stickman wrote on Mon, 14 June 2004 06:25

have you seen them live zoesch? that singer is amazing! she is like an angel. all of them are amazing.

I agree with this sentiment.  Mum had perhaps the best concert I have ever attended...there was this amazingly ethereal aura around the whole 90 minute set.  Tons of diverse instrumentation including EWI, cello and even crackling candy of sorts.  Their recordings don't even come close to capturing the essence of their live performance.  I was quite disappointed with Summer Make Good, though I owe it another listen or two before I write it off.

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 04:36:45 PM »

i wonder when iceland became such a hotspot for chamber rock/post rock. seriously between mum, sigur ros, and bjork they have a stranglehold on that whole otherworldly angelic singer market. if you dig that stuff then you should check out the album leaf (from the good ole US of A!) sigur ros flew em over to iceland to record their album with them, members of mum, and even the lead singer of the black heart procession for one of the tracks.
mogwai love you and need you

judah

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 02:49:01 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 21:00

anybody heard this band?

you can hear an mp3 here:

http://mp3.insound.com/download.cfm?mp3id=2119

i'm totally in love with this band

what do ya'll think?

I've worked with'em during thei first or second italian tour. I used to be live audio engineer in a club they went. The band was very interesting, mostly atmospheric (hope I got it right). The even gave me they first album on double vinile. Cute packaging. I listened to the other records they made so far but it's not my genre. For sure they are interesting but laptop music is kinda boring in my humble opinion.
Have you ever heard about Lali Puna? They are far more interesting. I think they are with the same record label, Mor Music, a german label. I worked with them in teh same club a couple times and went to see them live few weeks ago. Much more interstign and entertaining.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

j.hall

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 10:00:08 AM »

box up that double vinyl and send it over to me.....

judah

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 10:01:52 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 09 July 2004 16:00

box up that double vinyl and send it over to me.....

so sorry but I can't. it's signed. it's a souvenir Wink

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

j.hall

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »

i was just joking.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 17 queries.