R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: frequency analysis for resistors  (Read 1240 times)

J.J. Blair

frequency analysis for resistors
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:39:28 AM »

I want to do some type of harmonic analysis or what not, and see if I'm in fact hearing what I think I'm hearing, with different types of resistors.  Something like where I can run a square wave though, and see if the shape changes, or run a tone and look for harmonics.  

What would be the best way to set this up?  Run tones through a U pad?

Or how about something similar for capacitors?

Any ideas?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

bruno putzeys

Re: frequency analysis for resistors
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:29:05 AM »

Linear distortion (the kind of thing you see with a square wave) is dominated fully by the inductance and capacitance of the part and is rarely of interest. Nonlinear distortion (harmonic distortion) can vary wildly. Metal film resistors have negligible distortion but distortion in thick film carbon chip resistors sometimes borders on the spectacular (I've seen 0.01% at a few volts). To measure this distortion, build an inverting amplifier using a good opamp (LM4562), one "known good" metal film resistor (the feedback resistor) and one "test" resistor (the input resistor).
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.