R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: It's the saloon, let's talk about beer (sorry Terry)  (Read 27421 times)

Jon Hodgson

Re: It's the saloon, let's talk about beer (sorry Terry)
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 09:25:42 AM »

Hallams wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 13:02

Bruno Putzeys wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 21:42

Hallams wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 13:41

Haven't tried the Belgian beers

WHAT??!

So many great beers here it seems a waste of time and beer money trying those fancy European beers........they can keep their ski jumps too!

Ah, I see the problem here.

Having never tasted a quality European (especially Belgian) beer, you think that Australian brews are "great".

It's a point of reference thing, like people in Britain thinking Ben Nevis is a really high mountain.

The truth is you could probably make a brew comparable to the average Australian beer by drinking a large quantity of Belgian beer and waiting for the inevitable effect  Twisted Evil

Tomas Danko

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 10:25:16 AM »

Bruno Putzeys wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 14:06

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 15:02

Give me one beer to drink for the rest of my life, and I will choose Westmalle Tripel right away!

I can sympathise with that.

And I thought you were sticking to the local stuff, Vlaamse Oud Bruin! Smile

I scored seven bottles of this one last month, but I have yet to drink them.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/81890.jpg

It's drawn from one of the very old oak barrels at Rodenbach, unblended, and it's 10%. I have huge expectations on this one!
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

ktownson

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 11:50:23 AM »

I like the Cooper's Dark. Nice flavor, not very bitter.

The Chimays are one of the few imported beers that don't seem to try to keep the alcohol content down. They will kick your ass if you're not careful.

And, whoever said don't drink them too cold, amen! We usually let the good beers sit out of the fridge a half hour or so. Don't like 'em warm, but if they are too cold they numb your tongue and you don't really get the full effect.

As the slogan of our brewing supply place (sadly put out of business by Katrina) went, "Friends don't let friends drink yellow beer."

There's a nice micro-brewery up the road called Abita, which makes an amber that is very tasty. They are regional now, so some of you in the southeast U.S. might find it. The amber is a pleasant, anytime drinking beer, and their Turbodog is a decent stout when you want a little bite.

"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

Version

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 12:46:51 PM »

Wow, thanks Tomas! I feel like I just took a sip of water from a fire hydrant!

The only Trappist I am closely familiar w/ are the 3 Chimays. red/white/blue. Very tasty. This is probably due to their wide distribution.

Keep the comments coming!

Version

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »

ktownson wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 08:50

There's a nice micro-brewery up the road called Abita, which makes an amber that is very tasty.

This was a favorite of mine when I lived in Georgia.

Version

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 05:37

Rogue knows how to make proper beer. Their XS series of large bottles is very good indeed, especially the Imperial Stout:
http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/img/productImages/04481.gif

I'm into Rouge. Dead Guy Ale is a good beer that I can drink a lot of. I also have a few ceramic bottles of that imperial stout waiting for a special occasion.

bruno putzeys

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2008, 12:56:53 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 16:25

And I thought you were sticking to the local stuff, Vlaamse Oud Bruin! Smile

They're not more local to me than Westmalle. I think you're confusing Rotselaar with Roeselare. The two most local breweries for me are Haacht (of the eponymous lager) and Inbev (Stella, Leffe etc), both within walking distance.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »

As you may know, InBev made an offer to purchase Anheuser-Busch here in Saint Louis.  What first seemed possible (and largely unwanted by Saint Louisans who, like myself, worry about corporate giving to STL, the impact on the economy when InBev dismantles the company, etc). has now turned into a fight as A-B makes plans to streamline and improve the company.  The hope is A-B can then raise share prices above InBev's offer.

Version

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2008, 01:37:01 PM »

Wow, InBev is like the Clear Channel of beer.

Quote:

On June 12, 2008, InBev announced that it has made a US$46 billion offer for the brewing firm Anheuser-Busch.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2008, 01:45:17 PM »

Version wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 17:46

Wow, thanks Tomas! I feel like I just took a sip of water from a fire hydrant!

The only Trappist I am closely familiar w/ are the 3 Chimays. red/white/blue. Very tasty. This is probably due to their wide distribution.

Keep the comments coming!

Well, I could go on for ages about Trappist and other Belgian beer. Any question is gladly welcome, otherwise I suspect most people here think it's already been too much detailed information (and I haven't even started on the details if you ask me...).

Cheers!

Cool
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

malice

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 03:32:55 PM »

Tomas,

I would love to drink beer with you. Several remarks makes me think we have trully common taste.

Tomas Danko wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 15:02

Orval is quite the acquired taste kind of beer, with several different strands of yeast including a cultivated wild one for second fermentation. It's kinda funky. And they also dry hop the beer.

I find it too fizzy when it's brand new. 6-9 months later it's brilliant. And I don't feel it benefits from further aging, actually.

So true. My father bought an hotel that he transformed as a Week end residence. It was a very small hotel though with no more than 12 rooms. They had a stach of Orval that was untouched for a year and a half and perfectly conserved in the basement.

The best Orval ever. I agree totaly with the fizzy part going away with age.

Quote:

The more beers I try, the more I understand that Westmalle Tripel is my favorite. Soon I'll be reaching the 1200 mark of different Belgian beers that I've tried, and I feel this to be true more than I ever did before.

Give me one beer to drink for the rest of my life, and I will choose Westmalle Tripel right away!

Again, I totally agree, it miht be my favorite. The Orval is far more easy to find, that is why I put it in first place, but frankly, nothing like a triple Westmalle. It's trully a religious experience.

Quote:

It's odd that you're having trouble finding the Westmalle Tripel, since Westmalle has the highest output among all Belgian Trappist breweries and the Tripel is 70% of that production.

Can't find it in France. Everytime I'm giging in Belgium I make a stach. maybe it is better exported to Sweeden, I don't know.

Quote:

The Chimay Bleuw you should age for a couple of years, it benefits greatly from this. Actually, I find the small bottles to get a lot more interesting after fifteen years (!). The larger 0,75l bottles will mature a lot faster. 3-5 years and they are a lot better. Drink them at 12-14 degrees celsius together with some dark chocolate truffles.

I've got a bunch of large Chimay Bleuw (Grande R

malice

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008, 03:36:12 PM »

Hallams wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 14:15

malice wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 22:04

Bruno Putzeys wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 13:42

Hallams wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 13:41

Haven't tried the Belgian beers

WHAT??!

What he means is : he doesn't know what real beer tastes like, yet.

malice

PS: that cooper dark has a nice look though.

A fine example of waving a red rag at a bull.

In my case, ignorance is bliss.....

Hey, I would love you to guide you to belgian beer anytime.

I was just teasing. As a matter of fact, this beer of yours looks great. Would love to give it a try.

If you're comming to Europe, and Brussel in particular, give me a shout. Not kidding Wink

malice

ziggy

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »

hi there

while i absolutely love belgian beer, i have to hail our local brewery in basel, which is called fischerstube, they make a beer called ueli bier, which is fantastic. also there is a brewery called ziegelhof, they make a 0.5 litre bottle called b

malice

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 03:51:25 PM »

What is great with beer, is that is the most universal drink all over the world.

No matter where you go, you have a local beer. even in remote island like in polynesia : they have one (Hinano, very light, not too bad actualy)

Everywhere.

And btw, right after the big oil companies, comes the big beer companies. I believe Interbrew is still among the top ten multinational companies in the world. Before Coca Cola.

Yeah, beer is a serious issue Very Happy

malice

Version

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »

malice wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 12:51

What is great with beer, is that is the most universal drink all over the world.

I was just thinking this. Currently we are engaged in a conversation that spans a good portion of the globe. All people from different cultures/up-bringing/ages. The universal common denominator is beer. Cheers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up