R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: $500.00 Home Studio  (Read 3394 times)

C.Cash

$500.00 Home Studio
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:10:40 AM »

I cant believe that I spent all this money!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wQKp6PVjSbk
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Strummer

Re: $500.00 Home Studio
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »

If only this story had come out a few months ago maybe you could have saved a few fifty thousands?

As long as you're setting up a studio, why not broadcast?

Probably cost more than 500 bucks though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XMpj2v98xnM&feature=related

Jan Folkson

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »

Nah, $500 will get you a recording AND broadcast studio.  A guy at Banjomart told me so...
- Jan Folkson
http://www.janfolkson.com

Noiseless pickups?  What's the point?

Lebre

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »

man.... look at this....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GrlNuD7IaZU&feature=related

it scared the hell out of me... this is what keeps stealing jobs from studios? man... those mixes should be so wack! speakers leaned against a wall (and the other not), speakers wide open, speakers to close, weird construction sizes, weird surfaces prone to comb filtering and diffraction! :S maaaaannnnnn

Bryson

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »

"...be prepared to shell out about $150 for a decent pair of speakers."

The guitar on camera sounds out of tune with what's coming out of the speakers.

rankus

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 05:48:43 PM »

Woah,

this is one of the comments from one of these "studio guys":

Quote:

virtual studio are the futre studios
this is all old school these day
dont be fooled in to thinking you need all this people these days you can cut it with a laptop mixless with a good usb sound card and some good studio monitors and as for software you can download full software like cubase sx 3 vsti masting tools for free on piratebay .................dont wast your money on hardware that going to cost you mega bucks its not needed these days...............

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

ktownson

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:25:59 PM »

What's scary is that's the #2 rated newscast in the city...that newscast directly follows American Idol, so they're trying to hold the viewers with music-related stories. Fluff.

They're a fun live act, but when's the last time Cowboy Mouth had a hit? Somehow I don't think the next gold record is coming out of that living room.
"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

grantis

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 09:47:54 PM »

oh dear
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

rnicklaus

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 09:50:55 PM »

Bryson wrote on Fri, 27 June 2008 14:22

"...be prepared to shell out about $150 for a decent pair of speakers."

Our favorite expert disagrees on what to spend on speakers and explains in detail.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/4215_recording-studio-mon itors.htm
R.N.

Careful Collapse

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »

I have no delusions of creating pro quality recordings, but recording my own music (in my bed room) has easily been the most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life.  Well worth the ~500$ I've put into it, even with people snickering at my crummy 150$ monitors and 60$ preamps.

I suppose the irritation revolves mainly around my first statement though
Billy V
I have my very own space on the nets http://www.myspace.com/carefulcollapse

RSettee

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »

Heh, I have to watch that video that you're talking about, but from the responses here, it's almost like a Radio Shack setup? I did that on my first recordings about ten years ago....hey, as a teen and jobless and needing to get something down, it worked okay. But it certainly wasn't anywhere near good sounding.

Though, i'm a firm advocate of one just needing the right pair of ears with moderately priced equipment....hell, you guys have probably spent more on one mic than I have on most of my setup. But on the other hand, waiting around to record on the highest end equipment is an arduous and often momentum killing task. "Well, I don't have the ____ mic, so I guess i'm not worthy of putting anything down on recording!!!". I think that if you put enough effort and care into it, things can sound great on a budget....but you have to sit down with enough recordings and listen on the headphones to them and do your research. My problem with the DIY thing nowadays, is that I don't hear alot of time and research being put into the recordings--they're rush jobs on a budget. Of course a rush job on a budget is going to sound like shit.

Good is still the enemy of great. People do things good enough (or bad that they think is good enough), and then they never try to reach the next plateau.

ktownson

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 11:30:43 PM »

Careful Collapse wrote on Fri, 27 June 2008 22:12

I have no delusions of creating pro quality recordings, but recording my own music (in my bed room) has easily been the most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life.  Well worth the ~500$ I've put into it, even with people snickering at my crummy 150$ monitors and 60$ preamps.

I suppose the irritation revolves mainly around my first statement though

I don't think there's many folks here that will deride you for having a modest setup. I've got a bedroom studio and it too has been a wonderfully rewarding experience. Many talented people in this industry got their starts on whatever they could cobble together and built up as they learned.

The griping comes with the story's insinuation that you can spend $500 and make the next big hit,  and it will sound as good as a pro studio.  That's the crack the gear pimps are passing out to get you hooked, and it spits in the face of professionals that have developed their craft over a number of years and often made great sacrifices to acquire quality tools.

"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

Lebre

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 08:28:23 AM »

RSettee wrote on Fri, 27 June 2008 21:58

My problem with the DIY thing nowadays, is that I don't hear alot of time and research being put into the recordings--they're rush jobs on a budget. Of course a rush job on a budget is going to sound like shit.

Good is still the enemy of great. People do things good enough (or bad that they think is good enough), and then they never try to reach the next plateau.

yeah, that's right... we should never stop the recording just because we dont have that mic or preamp, there will be another way around, but...

I've been thinking... I'm putting all my effort tryin to get myself going into smaller and smaller details, I even joined "a" school, and there's one thing bothering me... we go to that detail and then people will compress the hell out of it to 128kbps where dinamic range, frequency bandwidth, paning and everything else (cause mp3 was designing to get rid of details) goes out.... and people are still happy... and then, they wear the shittiest headphones they can have... and they are still happy... and they get MAD if u say "listen, have u tried to compress to 192 or 320?" or... "u should try some nicer headphones u can really enjoy urself more"...

so, why do we trouble? u can do enough with a 500

Lebre

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 08:32:35 AM »

a disclaimer, I am aware that a living room will never be better than a propper studio:

1 - the technical team factor, that usually will be better than anybody that does that kind of advertising;
2 - the equipment, the level of quality and the maintenance it usually have;
3 - the room(s).... u know what I'm talking about;
4 - the mood
5 - the "no-excuses" and tight timmings are also a factor
6 - .... a lot more! from the building and design of the building to the ppl who run it!

RSettee

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 11:20:06 AM »

Lebre wrote on Sat, 28 June 2008 07:28

RSettee wrote on Fri, 27 June 2008 21:58

My problem with the DIY thing nowadays, is that I don't hear alot of time and research being put into the recordings--they're rush jobs on a budget. Of course a rush job on a budget is going to sound like shit.

yeah, that's right... we should never stop the recording just because we dont have that mic or preamp, there will be another way around, but...

I've been thinking... I'm putting all my effort tryin to get myself going into smaller and smaller details, I even joined "a" school, and there's one thing bothering me... we go to that detail and then people will compress the hell out of it to 128kbps where dinamic range, frequency bandwidth, paning and everything else (cause mp3 was designing to get rid of details) goes out.... and people are still happy... and then, they wear the shittiest headphones they can have... and they are still happy... and they get MAD if u say "listen, have u tried to compress to 192 or 320?" or... "u should try some nicer headphones u can really enjoy urself more"...

so, why do we trouble? u can do enough with a 500

cerberus

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 01:33:51 PM »

hasn't this been the same situation since 45s, am transistor radios, auratones,
the porta-studio, doctor rhythm... and so on?  as early as 1975, anyone
could have cut a vanity record for less than $500. in today's money.

imo, it's best for us to be pragmatic and just get on with what we do best.

and how are we different than any other profession in this regard?
one can build their own garden shed, treat their own illnesses,
or choose to hire professionals. i see nothing inherently
wrong with this situation. although i would agree
that kids should be taught what fox
news is, and what it is not.

jeff dinces

Strummer

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 02:03:23 PM »

Lebre wrote on Sat, 28 June 2008 08:28

.... what happened with the search that lead us to LP, CD 16bit, SA-CD, DVD-A?? what happened to "uuh my friend as a really good stereo let's go buy a CD and listen on it's house this friday".... i really miss that...

I remember this but with records. Most people had something like this:

index.php/fa/9322/0/

It was the lucky person who had a dad who had a fisher receiver and some Klipsch's.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is there has always been a lo-fi market. The I-Pod is this record player. Once in a while I play mp3's on my living room stereo and there's no comparison to earbuds. It doesn't sound like 24 bit but someone who hadn't heard that presentation would be impressed.

cerberus

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »

Strummer wrote on Sat, 28 June 2008 14:03

It was the lucky person who had a dad who had a fisher receiver...

i suppose i was extra lucky. this too:
index.php/fa/9323/0/
i guess i was eight when dad put me in charge
of operating and maintaining his tape deck.
that is a quarter-track machine for
home recording; ca. 1969.

i started with one thing he did not have: time.
now i remember, i was very lucky indeed.

jeff dinces

Lebre

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 02:23:27 PM »

ahahahah  Embarassed  sorry I'm not that old...

guess u both made a good point there, there was always the lo-fi, but was the engineering side that detailed back then? dont get me wrong, but nowadays u can have the "pleasure" to mix a sound to death basically playing each section 100.000.000 times and tune it to a level of detail unbelievable.

what was the level of damage to the sound back then?? I played with some of that stuff but I never paid much attention to it. I had one of those tape decks, vinil iPods Razz  and transistors radios, but I wrecked them before I knew what treble, bass or volume was... I do remember they were mid-rangy, noisy and with an odd SNR...

strummer, u'r refering to SA-CD? because CDs are 16bit... anyways, it's amazing what u loose first on the compression then on the earbuds.

Strummer

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 03:47:38 PM »

To play 24 bit I patch a line analog stereo output from my DAW mixer to my Bryston preamp (the big stereo).

I've also owned a four track Technics 1/4" reel to reel forever. It still sits in my studio but isn't used anymore. It would be a fine addition to anyone's 500 dollar studio! lol

Lebre

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 08:53:30 AM »

yeah, that can be our salvation ahahahah....

let's sell stuff to their 500
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up