R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2882 or ensemble?  (Read 3659 times)

eb

2882 or ensemble?
« on: June 25, 2008, 05:52:32 PM »

I'm gonna get slaughtered for asking this (first post also), but here goes:

My current setup revolves around pro tools le and 002R interface AND logic pro where I use an apogee duet (I both track and mix in logic using the duet, but when tracking drums I use pro tools and 002R for the extra inputs and I still prefer editing, particularly drums, in pro tools, I then import the edited audio into logic for mixing using the duets D/A). Messy ay??? But it works for me.

I'm very happy with the duet and always planned to get an ensemble for more decent quality pre's and A/D. I could also use it in standalone as a front for the 002R and simply track everything in pro tools and mix in logic (for the delay compensation).  

That was until I heard about the new metric halo 2d card. A 2882 is very tempting to me now and by most accounts over at GS, its at least as good a the ensemble ADDA wise but the mic pre's arent as good (I plan on adding some outboard Seventh circle audio pre's sometime soon anyway).

Provided the 2882 and duet could work as aggregate devices I could have the best of both worlds (if I was to track in logic as duet will not work with an LE setup). Plus the 2882 can be used as a front to my 002R also for working in pro tools. The new "character" plugins in the MIO mixer interests me greatly as do the other plugins and 80 bit mix bus (all things not present in the ensemble package) However, maybe people feel the ensemble sounds considerably better and ultimately I'm after something that sounds at least as good as my duet?? Im wondering what people here think about these two devices.  Im hoping to get a demo of a 2882+2d in the next couple of weeks, thought I'd chance my arm here first,

thanks in advance.

Hallams

Re: 2882 or ensemble?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 12:15:33 AM »

I use the ensemble every day and have had no problems. Sounds great , a handy feature being the ability to open the appogee controll panel within logic to access inputs, level, phantom power etc. The preamps are fine, plenty of clean gain, having inserts on the 1st two inputs is also a bonus.
Never used the 2882 but as it is very good also it realy depends which one will suit your needs best.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 03:48:51 AM »

The 2882 is good, but if you're on Logic I think the Ensemble is a better fit on the whole. Total integration and performance, and all that. Oh, and it sounds very good too.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

patrick_pendleton

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:21:12 AM »

I can't speak for the 2882 but I've been using the apogee ensemble for 4 months now and I love the pre's and the conversion.  I use the hardware inserts occasionally as well to hit a distressor.  I love this setup so much I'm considering ditching PT (...I know) and using Logic because of the close integration with it and ensemble.

PookyNMR

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »

I've got a 2882+DSP (soon to be upgraded with the new 2d card (which provides a number of significant upgrades)).

The converters in the Metric Halo products are very good.  The pre-amps in the 2882 do not have very much gain, but then they were designed for mobile usage where keeping things compact is of prime importance.  If you're looking at using it for studio work, external pre-amps would be better for a top quality sound.

The real gem of the Metric Halo products though go beyond the sound quality of the converters (the pre-amps on the ULN-2 are nice).  The real gem is the incredible support that you get with the devices.  

Even thought the 2882 is almost 7 years old, they are still providing excellent support for the device and providing even physical upgrades to keep the unit current and increase it's quality and capability.  (The 2d card gives the unit a new and improved clock.)  You won't find that from any other audio company.

The quality of device drivers for the units are also unmatched.  Metric Halo code their own core level FireWire drivers instead of relying on Apple's FW driver (like Apogee).  They did such a good job coding their own FW driver that Apple  has even consulted with Metric Halo to help improve the apple FW drivers for audio devices.

The console application that controls the units is also top notch.  The flexibility and power of the application with its mixers, DSP processing, record panel, etc, is incredibly powerful and well laid out.  In my opinion it's better than anything from any other audio card that I'm aware of.

I've not used the Apogee Ensemble unit.  But from what I've seen of it on their site it looks like a poor copy of the 2882.  You'd be getting less functionality for the same cash...
Nathan Rousu

eb

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:28:21 PM »

[quote title=PookyNMR wrote on Thu, 26 June 2008 10:38
I've not used the Apogee Ensemble unit.  But from what I've seen of it on their site it looks like a poor copy of the 2882.  You'd be getting less functionality for the same cash...[/quote]

Thanks for your comments guys, I feel I know the quality of the ensemble as I have owned its little brother (duet) for some time, Im quite sure it would meet my needs. However the 2882 has so much to offer with the 2d card. Character and other on board DSP plugins that can be used latency free when tracking is very appealing to me, 80 bit  mix buss, monitor controller section, can be buss powered etc. I suppose what I'm asking is, onboard mic preamps aside, which unit has the better AD/DA??  And would a 2882 and duet work as an aggregate device in logic pro? Anyone try ever it? While I'm at it anyone use a duet and ensemble as an aggregate device in os x yet??

Thanks again,

EB

PookyNMR

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »

Any two core audio devices should work fine as aggregate devices.

As far as AD/DA goes, I haven't compared the two units directly.  But I have compared the AD/DA of the Metric Halo units directly to Apogee Rosetta 800 units.  I preferred the Metric Halo units over the Apogee Rosetta.  I don't know how similar the Rosetta converters are to the Ensemble converters.

My suggestion would be to get both units on rent or loan and do your own shoot out and see what makes you most happy after tracking and mixing a song.
Nathan Rousu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.