R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Studio Monitors under $1000?  (Read 28018 times)

kittonian

Re: What's Your Favorite Studio Monitors under $1000?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 07:31:41 PM »

About a month ago at the NAMM show I finally got some serious time to sit down and evaluate the Focal CMS40 monitor and a pair of those is under a grand. I had a few people with me at the time and we were all pretty shocked at how incredible they sounded. A friend of mine is picking up a pair to take with him while he's on the road so he can still have great monitors that are portable. If you have the need to be mobile Focal also makes carrying cases for them. Even with the cases you'll still be under $1k.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for the latest news and gear specials by clicking here

AudioLot is now located in Los Angeles, CA.

If you're in the LA area and are interested in coming by to see any of the gear we carry in person, please let us know.

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 08:34:33 PM »

You must have some impossibly good ears...you can evaluate tiny monitors at one of the loudest conventions in the world! Like 80-100 Guitar Centers inside of one another!
Sean Eldon Qualls
Mercenary Audio / [email protected]
METHods & Applications LABoratory

"I am vanishing into the trees! Defenders, get onto your knees!" - Marnie Stern

kittonian

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 02:14:12 AM »

You must have some impossibly good ears...you can evaluate tiny monitors at one of the loudest conventions in the world! Like 80-100 Guitar Centers inside of one another!

Actually they setup a private area to listen where it wasn't noisy at all. You can't hear anything on the show floor.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for the latest news and gear specials by clicking here

AudioLot is now located in Los Angeles, CA.

If you're in the LA area and are interested in coming by to see any of the gear we carry in person, please let us know.

davesanridge

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:47 AM »

It's just over at 1.2k but the Genelc 8030A's are immense!

curtisfranklin

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »

I have always like the Dynaudio BM5a for very accurate monitors in this price range. It all really depends on what kind style of mixing you do.

Hallams

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 04:20:05 AM »

I have been using B&W 602's for quite a few years and find they are quite good. Strengths are transient response and and good balance. I like switching between monitors for "2nd opinions" and have a pair of Duntech DSM 15's that are great for imaging and accuracy. BVurning a CD and popping out to the car is also part of the process. ;D

Jim Williams

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »

I favor JBL stuff for low cost.  I use the 4408A's I bought new for $230 each. I spent more than that on the crossovers. Combined with my modified Adcom GFA545, it's an extremely smooth and revealing system and non fatiguing. The 4410A's are also very good speakers. I don't like any of the powered monitors, all the amps suck compared to a quality outboard power amp. I also prefer a passive crossover made with foil inductors, wirewound resistors and exotic film and foil capacitors over any active solution.

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »

If I was buying new at that price, I'd buy Dynaudio Powered ones.....Only lacking the lowest end. I'll go for 'errors of omission' over flaws anyday.

Currently, I am on Hafler 8" (TR8?). Set as nearfields. Not bad. Results translate and imaging is Better than what I have used before. When I got them the Mackies were hot (in the market) and The Hafler was way better for me. Something about The Mackie's Low End....Spongey, Time Arrival Problems, I suspect.

The Events are quite usable for me.

I have not heard the Focal pro stuff. But I did work at a high end home audio parlor. And at each price point, the Focals were the best or as good as the best Imaging speakers. Sometimes BY FAR.
I talked to the Rep. way before they went to market and they took it really seriously - I would like to hear them.
Steve Daffner Frenchmen Street Records - Straightwire Studios

kevin

• Real Full Name: Kevin Jacobson
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »

I favor JBL stuff for low cost.  I use the 4408A's I bought new for $230 each. I spent more than that on the crossovers. Combined with my modified Adcom GFA545, it's an extremely smooth and revealing system and non fatiguing. The 4410A's are also very good speakers. I don't like any of the powered monitors, all the amps suck compared to a quality outboard power amp. I also prefer a passive crossover made with foil inductors, wirewound resistors and exotic film and foil capacitors over any active solution.

How does the Adcom GFA535 stand up?  I've seen a couple for sale pretty cheap, but at 60 W/channel I don't know if they're powerful enough. 

George Friedman-Jimenez

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 11:23:11 AM »

Some of the old Adcoms are excellent amps for low powered studio use, they sound great, no fan noise, reliable, excellent build quality. I have an old GFA555 and an "only" 12 year old GFA5400. Only 2 downsides. They are unbalanced, so you may get some hum, RFI or other electrical noise, probably controllable with a good quality transformer isolation box. Also, they don't mount in a rack, so may not fit in quite as easily as you like with your other studio gear.
Power requirements depend on your monitoring SPLs, type of music, use of a sub, monitor efficiency, and other factors. 60 wpc would not be enough for my Dynaudio BM6 monitors. I generally monitor with the BM6s around 85 dbA, but I do a lot of percussion work and like the headroom of the 200 wpc GFA555.

lucabasano

• Real Full Name: luca basano
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »

+1 for Adcom 555,plus Quested h108,not better choice for that price.
I don't like little powered speakers,but the smallest geithain it's great,more money anyway.

Luca

stevengamel

• Real Full Name: Steven Gamel
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 02:31:05 AM »

Yeah Genelec and Dynaudio stuff is great. Haven't had much experience with this new generation brands like Focal and Adam etc.

shhpeaceful

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »

I have always like the Dynaudio BM5a for very accurate monitors in this price range. It all really depends on what kind style of mixing you do.

Care to elaborate?

Millice

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »

It's just over at 1.2k but the Genelc 8030A's are immense!

Def like the 8030A's.  Had 5 set up in my old studio for 5.1 mixing.  Just over $1000 though
Dan Millice
Assistant Mastering Engineer

www.danmillice.com

David Bock

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »

I also prefer a passive crossover made with foil inductors
Jim have you specifically identified the foil inductor as an improvement or did you shotgun the whole thing? Can you describe the improvement a foil inductor makes, in your opinion?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 23 queries.