R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Studio Monitors under $1000?  (Read 28021 times)

Christopher Wilson

Re: What's Your Favorite Studio Monitors under $1000?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:14 PM »

Why thank you Chris for helping to test out the new forum!

I "think" that I want powered.  I'm not sure that I want to open up the can of worms of power amps and crossovers in my current situation.  I guess that I could be persuaded.

joe

I hear you about power amp can o' worms.  I'd love to drop several grand on a designated power amp, but don't have an extra several grand burning a hole in my pocket right now.

When I was trying to transition from classical music world to sound engineering world, I used to bug the engineer/producer Phil Ek about these things.  He has more records to his name than one can shake a stick at, and was very generous with his knowledge and experience with different gear, including monitors.

When it came to monitors, his response was always "Don't worry about it too much, get something you can work with." When it comes to nearfields, I'm not sure I've had a strong preference for one over another. I wonder what other people think. . .

I will say, a friend of mine has those Focal 6 monitors.  They sound excellent.  However, he had to open one of them for some reason I don't remember, and the wires soldered onto the driver popped right off.  Oops. . . The soldering job was hella chintzy.  I was pretty fond of those Adams A7's Eric had at the CS-4 listening party.
Christopher Wilson

Christopher Wilson

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

I'm really struggling with this new forum's format.

Dear Mac Kerr,

Would you please tell me is it possible to insert pictures into the text body or must attachments be at the bottom?  It can sometimes be very handy when trying to explain something to accompany it with a picture.  Considering how many other formatting and smiley features there are, perhaps I am just overlooking that one.

Is it possible to delete one's own posts?  I cannot find an option to do so.

Thank you, I hope you're not having to deal with too much grumbling through this transition.
Christopher Wilson

Jon Moen

• Canada
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 01:23:56 AM »

Would you please tell me is it possible to insert pictures into the text body?

You can insert a photo by clicking the insert photo icon on the far left just above the smilies in the composition page.

Like this one.
I get a pop up warning but if you allow it you can reference any image on the web.
You have to enter carriage returns before and after to put the picture in the correct place but easy to do if you preview. I haven't explored uploading your own image yet.

Jon

joeyhavoc

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »

I get a pop up warning but if you allow it you can reference any image on the web.

So taking pictures off the web with questionable ownership is easy but taking them from one's one collection is still challenging at this point...

I guess if you have your own website or Facebook, you could post your own pictures in this format as well.

joeyhavoc

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »

I was pretty fond of those Adams A7's Eric had at the CS-4 listening party.

You know, I was so busy running around that I didn't even pay attention to what monitors we were using.  In retrospect, I did like the way that they sound and you could definitely hear the subtle differences between the various mics pretty clearly.

Maybe I'll try to talk to Eric and go in and give them a serious listen.

Thanks for the reminder Chris!

jaykadis

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »

I've had those at home for years now. Though I'm accustomed to them, there's something about 'em that has me wanting something else. They do pop up on eBay every now and then. Can you still get replacement woofers for those things?
Not sure about the woofers (which were made by Focal) but I got a tweeter replaced last year .. (Re:K-Roks...reply didn't fetch the quoted part of my original post in your reply.  Some bugs here.)

Bill_Urick

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »

I think all my monitors together would be less than 1K.

But the faves are the Tom Wright's.

OOF!

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »

Whew, I made it over.  Good thing I packed a lunch.
David

MagnetoSound

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »

Bill, I miss your scary avatar!

Dan Sansom
Magneto Sound
UK

Bill_Urick

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 06:20:34 AM »

It's not scary. It's poignant.
But thanks.

Mike Allgeier

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »

I've been using the Hafler TRM8.1s now for several years and like them. I'm using them in a nearfield situation. I grew up listening to music on 8" woofers and they just seem to be a good size to listen to. Not too small to but not too big. I would like to add a sub to my system but I just haven't. Of course you'd have to get them 2nd hand and by now they are likely to be well used but could probably be refitted rather easily.

davidphonic

• http://www.platinum-mastering.com
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 05:44:50 AM »

KRK's or Yamaha Hs80 have pretty good rep for this price range

Harland

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »

Ditto on the KRK's and the HS80's. I had the Yamaha and they were good but I switched to Rockit 8's after changing my room around. But I still like my NS10's the best.

Joe Giannone

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 12:35:06 AM »

While they're no longer made, I like the KRK K-Roks I've been using at home for quite some time.

+1 on the K-Roks. Been through a few near-field monitors here, and my mixes just translate extremely well with those suckers.

RBE

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »

Favorite monitors under $1000?

The ones I built...

Passive, fullrange, no crossover, no ports.
Tight, suprising bass. Fast response. Perfect imaging.
NS10 killers.

I've owned KRK (muddy), Tannoy (harsh). Listened to tons of others. Never was satisfied till I got some old Pioneer HPM-60 speakers. They were the competitors to the classic JBL studio monitors/L-100's. Then I wanted a small pair of "something" with the same quality. Had to build from scratch to get what I wanted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.