R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Studio Monitors under $1000?  (Read 28027 times)

joeyhavoc

What's Your Favorite Studio Monitors under $1000?
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:46:06 PM »

Starting a new topic to help test the new forum.

I have a pair of Alesis Monitor Ones.  I will upgrade them sometime in the next year but don't want to break the bank.  What do you think is a good system for under $1000?  Under $1500?

joe

Philip

Re: What's Your Favorite Studio Monitors under $1000?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:56:04 PM »

I like vintage stuff..Celestion Ditton 66/44, Tannoy Super Reds etc..can be had for decent prices sometimes.

Christopher Wilson

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »

Joe, while testing the new forum, are you looking for powered or passive monitors?
Christopher Wilson

joeyhavoc

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »

Joe, while testing the new forum, are you looking for powered or passive monitors?
Why thank you Chris for helping to test out the new forum!

I "think" that I want powered.  I'm not sure that I want to open up the can of worms of power amps and crossovers in my current situation.  I guess that I could be persuaded.

joe

Wireline

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »

You are still gonna have crossovers and amps of vastly differing qualities - that's one of the things that makes one set of powered monitors sound so much (better/worse) than another, with similar sized components.

That said, I dunno...I used the red Tannoy Reveals for a while, and never did like them - but the room they were in was not a place to judge much of anything.  Lots of folks are still using JBL 4311s, and can be gotten pretty inexpensively. 
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, TX

maxim

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »

i've been using yamaha msp5 with good results...

Seb Riou

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 07:00:07 AM »

Maybe that's not the best topic as a "New Start" ..

Just Sayin'

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »

I bought three pairs of M-Audio BX5a with a JBL LSR Sub for surround mixing.  I actually like them quite a bit!  They were on sale at Guitar Center for under $200 a pair during the holidays!!!  They are surprisingly good.  My mixes translated very well to the dub stage, with no surprises at all.

I still hate the verification step before posting...

Steve

joeyhavoc

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:58:07 AM »

Maybe that's not the best topic as a "New Start" ..

Just Sayin'
That may be true!  Terry asked me to start posting stuff on this forum so that he could test things from his end as a moderator.  For all I know, he may decide to move this thread to the Saloon.  Which then it would be an ideal topic to test with as he could try out that function.

It's what I could think of at the time.  And I do need to figure out my monitor situation moving forward.

I was going to do top 5 guitar solos of all time thinking that would be an innocuous thread, but then realized how personal that might get.  Terry would like to take this car out for a drive, so let's give him some posts to test out.

joe

joeyhavoc

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »

I bought three pairs of M-Audio BX5a with a JBL LSR Sub for surround mixing.  I actually like them quite a bit!  They were on sale at Guitar Center for under $200 a pair during the holidays!!!  They are surprisingly good.  My mixes translated very well to the dub stage, with no surprises at all.

Thanks Steve, I'll look into those.

Steve

You mean verification of your handle?  Or are you seeing a verification after each post that you make?

I don't see a "spell checker" feature.  Am I just not seeing it?

joe

joeyhavoc

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 12:07:36 PM »

I posted to your other thread.  They are no longer requiring me to verify my posts.  Either it ended last night or once you hit 5+ posts maybe that requirement goes away.

I'm firing at will at this point.  Which may not be a good thing.

joe

Melvin Bloemsma

• Nieuw-Amsterdam NL
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 02:02:37 PM »

this would be my 5th post , lets see ;)
YEP from the 5th no more verification ;)
Last I heard, a recording studio is a space where music is performed while making it easy to record the performance.
It isn’t a mix room, an editing room, a computer or a pile of recording gear.

jaykadis

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »

While they're no longer made, I like the KRK K-Roks I've been using at home for quite some time.  Perhaps there are current equivalents from KRK.

We've been using the new smaller ADAMs (A3X, A7) quite a bit at work lately.  Not quite as powerful as the S3As but similar sound.  The A3Xs are nice for multi-speaker surround setups as they're small enough that you can get a bunch of them in a relatively small space and they have good imaging.

Gio

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Giovanni Fusco
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »

While they're no longer made, I like the KRK K-Roks I've been using at home for quite some time.  Perhaps there are current equivalents from KRK.
I've had those at home for years now. Though I'm accustomed to them, there's something about 'em that has me wanting something else. They do pop up on eBay every now and then. Can you still get replacement woofers for those things?
"Real People, Real Performances"
www.oneeastrecording.com
www.themixshack.com

jetbase

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »

They make the Rokit series, which are powered & quite cheap. I have no idea what they're like though.

My favourite under $1000 are still NS10's. I know 'em, and I like the mid range that others seem to dislike, so long as they're sitting in the right place.
Glenn Santry
HeartBeat Studio
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

Christopher Wilson

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:14 PM »

Why thank you Chris for helping to test out the new forum!

I "think" that I want powered.  I'm not sure that I want to open up the can of worms of power amps and crossovers in my current situation.  I guess that I could be persuaded.

joe

I hear you about power amp can o' worms.  I'd love to drop several grand on a designated power amp, but don't have an extra several grand burning a hole in my pocket right now.

When I was trying to transition from classical music world to sound engineering world, I used to bug the engineer/producer Phil Ek about these things.  He has more records to his name than one can shake a stick at, and was very generous with his knowledge and experience with different gear, including monitors.

When it came to monitors, his response was always "Don't worry about it too much, get something you can work with." When it comes to nearfields, I'm not sure I've had a strong preference for one over another. I wonder what other people think. . .

I will say, a friend of mine has those Focal 6 monitors.  They sound excellent.  However, he had to open one of them for some reason I don't remember, and the wires soldered onto the driver popped right off.  Oops. . . The soldering job was hella chintzy.  I was pretty fond of those Adams A7's Eric had at the CS-4 listening party.
Christopher Wilson

Christopher Wilson

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

I'm really struggling with this new forum's format.

Dear Mac Kerr,

Would you please tell me is it possible to insert pictures into the text body or must attachments be at the bottom?  It can sometimes be very handy when trying to explain something to accompany it with a picture.  Considering how many other formatting and smiley features there are, perhaps I am just overlooking that one.

Is it possible to delete one's own posts?  I cannot find an option to do so.

Thank you, I hope you're not having to deal with too much grumbling through this transition.
Christopher Wilson

Jon Moen

• Canada
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 01:23:56 AM »

Would you please tell me is it possible to insert pictures into the text body?

You can insert a photo by clicking the insert photo icon on the far left just above the smilies in the composition page.

Like this one.
I get a pop up warning but if you allow it you can reference any image on the web.
You have to enter carriage returns before and after to put the picture in the correct place but easy to do if you preview. I haven't explored uploading your own image yet.

Jon

joeyhavoc

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »

I get a pop up warning but if you allow it you can reference any image on the web.

So taking pictures off the web with questionable ownership is easy but taking them from one's one collection is still challenging at this point...

I guess if you have your own website or Facebook, you could post your own pictures in this format as well.

joeyhavoc

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »

I was pretty fond of those Adams A7's Eric had at the CS-4 listening party.

You know, I was so busy running around that I didn't even pay attention to what monitors we were using.  In retrospect, I did like the way that they sound and you could definitely hear the subtle differences between the various mics pretty clearly.

Maybe I'll try to talk to Eric and go in and give them a serious listen.

Thanks for the reminder Chris!

jaykadis

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »

I've had those at home for years now. Though I'm accustomed to them, there's something about 'em that has me wanting something else. They do pop up on eBay every now and then. Can you still get replacement woofers for those things?
Not sure about the woofers (which were made by Focal) but I got a tweeter replaced last year .. (Re:K-Roks...reply didn't fetch the quoted part of my original post in your reply.  Some bugs here.)

Bill_Urick

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »

I think all my monitors together would be less than 1K.

But the faves are the Tom Wright's.

OOF!

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »

Whew, I made it over.  Good thing I packed a lunch.
David

MagnetoSound

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »

Bill, I miss your scary avatar!

Dan Sansom
Magneto Sound
UK

Bill_Urick

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 06:20:34 AM »

It's not scary. It's poignant.
But thanks.

Mike Allgeier

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »

I've been using the Hafler TRM8.1s now for several years and like them. I'm using them in a nearfield situation. I grew up listening to music on 8" woofers and they just seem to be a good size to listen to. Not too small to but not too big. I would like to add a sub to my system but I just haven't. Of course you'd have to get them 2nd hand and by now they are likely to be well used but could probably be refitted rather easily.

davidphonic

• http://www.platinum-mastering.com
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 05:44:50 AM »

KRK's or Yamaha Hs80 have pretty good rep for this price range

Harland

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »

Ditto on the KRK's and the HS80's. I had the Yamaha and they were good but I switched to Rockit 8's after changing my room around. But I still like my NS10's the best.

Joe Giannone

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 12:35:06 AM »

While they're no longer made, I like the KRK K-Roks I've been using at home for quite some time.

+1 on the K-Roks. Been through a few near-field monitors here, and my mixes just translate extremely well with those suckers.

RBE

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »

Favorite monitors under $1000?

The ones I built...

Passive, fullrange, no crossover, no ports.
Tight, suprising bass. Fast response. Perfect imaging.
NS10 killers.

I've owned KRK (muddy), Tannoy (harsh). Listened to tons of others. Never was satisfied till I got some old Pioneer HPM-60 speakers. They were the competitors to the classic JBL studio monitors/L-100's. Then I wanted a small pair of "something" with the same quality. Had to build from scratch to get what I wanted.

kittonian

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 07:31:41 PM »

About a month ago at the NAMM show I finally got some serious time to sit down and evaluate the Focal CMS40 monitor and a pair of those is under a grand. I had a few people with me at the time and we were all pretty shocked at how incredible they sounded. A friend of mine is picking up a pair to take with him while he's on the road so he can still have great monitors that are portable. If you have the need to be mobile Focal also makes carrying cases for them. Even with the cases you'll still be under $1k.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for the latest news and gear specials by clicking here

AudioLot is now located in Los Angeles, CA.

If you're in the LA area and are interested in coming by to see any of the gear we carry in person, please let us know.

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 08:34:33 PM »

You must have some impossibly good ears...you can evaluate tiny monitors at one of the loudest conventions in the world! Like 80-100 Guitar Centers inside of one another!
Sean Eldon Qualls
Mercenary Audio / [email protected]
METHods & Applications LABoratory

"I am vanishing into the trees! Defenders, get onto your knees!" - Marnie Stern

kittonian

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 02:14:12 AM »

You must have some impossibly good ears...you can evaluate tiny monitors at one of the loudest conventions in the world! Like 80-100 Guitar Centers inside of one another!

Actually they setup a private area to listen where it wasn't noisy at all. You can't hear anything on the show floor.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for the latest news and gear specials by clicking here

AudioLot is now located in Los Angeles, CA.

If you're in the LA area and are interested in coming by to see any of the gear we carry in person, please let us know.

davesanridge

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:47 AM »

It's just over at 1.2k but the Genelc 8030A's are immense!

curtisfranklin

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »

I have always like the Dynaudio BM5a for very accurate monitors in this price range. It all really depends on what kind style of mixing you do.

Hallams

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 04:20:05 AM »

I have been using B&W 602's for quite a few years and find they are quite good. Strengths are transient response and and good balance. I like switching between monitors for "2nd opinions" and have a pair of Duntech DSM 15's that are great for imaging and accuracy. BVurning a CD and popping out to the car is also part of the process. ;D

Jim Williams

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »

I favor JBL stuff for low cost.  I use the 4408A's I bought new for $230 each. I spent more than that on the crossovers. Combined with my modified Adcom GFA545, it's an extremely smooth and revealing system and non fatiguing. The 4410A's are also very good speakers. I don't like any of the powered monitors, all the amps suck compared to a quality outboard power amp. I also prefer a passive crossover made with foil inductors, wirewound resistors and exotic film and foil capacitors over any active solution.

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »

If I was buying new at that price, I'd buy Dynaudio Powered ones.....Only lacking the lowest end. I'll go for 'errors of omission' over flaws anyday.

Currently, I am on Hafler 8" (TR8?). Set as nearfields. Not bad. Results translate and imaging is Better than what I have used before. When I got them the Mackies were hot (in the market) and The Hafler was way better for me. Something about The Mackie's Low End....Spongey, Time Arrival Problems, I suspect.

The Events are quite usable for me.

I have not heard the Focal pro stuff. But I did work at a high end home audio parlor. And at each price point, the Focals were the best or as good as the best Imaging speakers. Sometimes BY FAR.
I talked to the Rep. way before they went to market and they took it really seriously - I would like to hear them.
Steve Daffner Frenchmen Street Records - Straightwire Studios

kevin

• Real Full Name: Kevin Jacobson
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »

I favor JBL stuff for low cost.  I use the 4408A's I bought new for $230 each. I spent more than that on the crossovers. Combined with my modified Adcom GFA545, it's an extremely smooth and revealing system and non fatiguing. The 4410A's are also very good speakers. I don't like any of the powered monitors, all the amps suck compared to a quality outboard power amp. I also prefer a passive crossover made with foil inductors, wirewound resistors and exotic film and foil capacitors over any active solution.

How does the Adcom GFA535 stand up?  I've seen a couple for sale pretty cheap, but at 60 W/channel I don't know if they're powerful enough. 

George Friedman-Jimenez

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 11:23:11 AM »

Some of the old Adcoms are excellent amps for low powered studio use, they sound great, no fan noise, reliable, excellent build quality. I have an old GFA555 and an "only" 12 year old GFA5400. Only 2 downsides. They are unbalanced, so you may get some hum, RFI or other electrical noise, probably controllable with a good quality transformer isolation box. Also, they don't mount in a rack, so may not fit in quite as easily as you like with your other studio gear.
Power requirements depend on your monitoring SPLs, type of music, use of a sub, monitor efficiency, and other factors. 60 wpc would not be enough for my Dynaudio BM6 monitors. I generally monitor with the BM6s around 85 dbA, but I do a lot of percussion work and like the headroom of the 200 wpc GFA555.

lucabasano

• Real Full Name: luca basano
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »

+1 for Adcom 555,plus Quested h108,not better choice for that price.
I don't like little powered speakers,but the smallest geithain it's great,more money anyway.

Luca

stevengamel

• Real Full Name: Steven Gamel
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 02:31:05 AM »

Yeah Genelec and Dynaudio stuff is great. Haven't had much experience with this new generation brands like Focal and Adam etc.

shhpeaceful

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »

I have always like the Dynaudio BM5a for very accurate monitors in this price range. It all really depends on what kind style of mixing you do.

Care to elaborate?

Millice

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »

It's just over at 1.2k but the Genelc 8030A's are immense!

Def like the 8030A's.  Had 5 set up in my old studio for 5.1 mixing.  Just over $1000 though
Dan Millice
Assistant Mastering Engineer

www.danmillice.com

David Bock

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »

I also prefer a passive crossover made with foil inductors
Jim have you specifically identified the foil inductor as an improvement or did you shotgun the whole thing? Can you describe the improvement a foil inductor makes, in your opinion?

Jim Williams

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »

I use Solo or Alpha copper foil inductors. Those are large and heavy. They avoid hysteris THD and have much greater surface area than round copper wire. They do much better with transients and are as smooth as can be. Air core round wire coils just sound sloppy next to them.

Next are the resistors. Most crossovers use low quality "sand" resistors. I use Mills MR-12's as they are precision and wirewound.

Last are the caps. I use several brands, depending on quality and cost. MIT, InfiniCap, Mundorf, etc, are all good contenders. I find some are best for the woofers, others are better for the tweeters.

Those are the most expensive parts, the coils are only a few dollars each. Then you need to assemble the bunch so the coils don't interact and transfer magnetic energy and then hot glue the mess so nothing is microphonic.

Big time pain but the sonics are well worth it. Then you realize some drivers are made very well even if the crossovers mask that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.