R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: (M49) Mike Lovers- Unite!!!  (Read 66190 times)

Barry Hufker

Re: Mike Lovers Unite!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 11:33:41 AM »

It is my understanding the Wunder (Flea) has a variation of the M7 capsule.  I say variation as a true M7 would use PVC instead of Mylar.  Anyway, I'm curious to know if anyone believes this to be the sound of a "typical" M49.  I'm not knocking the Wunder.  It's just been a while since I've plugged up my M49 and I don't recall it sounding like this.  I would suspect the difference is that mine uses a K49...

Plush

Re: (M49) Mike Lovers- Unite!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 10:56:35 AM »

Greetings M49 Freaks,

Yes, I am using a FLEA 49 which I feel is a very good sounding M49. I also have the real thing here, and a comparison is showing the FLEA model to be an authentic and
laudable M49 sound.

I am using it on typical sources--soprano, mezzo, brass, strings.
It is the typical M49 sound.

As I have mentioned before, FLEA uses a Thiersche M7 and their own re-creation of the Neumann transformer. Also the real AC701k is used.

As I understand it, LittleLabs is the new USA distributor for FLEA.

What else would you like to know?  

Hudson Fair
Atelier HudSonic, Chicago

http://www.myspace.com/hudsonek

J.J. Blair

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:50 PM »

Is that the Arie Crown Theatre? (however you spell it)
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Plush

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »

No, that is the Marcus Center in Milwaukee.  It's a set-up for the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra which I record. It's a good orchestra and has a summer national broadcast series which starts each year in July.  Check you local listings.  There is some really phat sound upcoming in these bcasts. Fat tube chain (Thermionic Culture Earlybird and EAR mic amps with M50s)  
Hudson Fair
Atelier HudSonic, Chicago

http://www.myspace.com/hudsonek

J.J. Blair

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 11:14:24 PM »

I had a singer in today, with a low, silky voice, with a touch or gravel.  I put up my U47, 251, M367 and M49b which I just recapsuled yesterday with a brand new K47, retubed with new AC701s, recapped it and got a new PSU from Oliver.  It just crushed the competition.  

It amazes me how great these things sound.  

BTW, I got a pair of new Neumann K47s, and they sound pretty goddamn good.  I wasn't missing the cream ringed one that I took out.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 12:25:25 AM »

Hi JJ,  

When you say "new K47" do you mean current production?

Thanks -j

J.J. Blair

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »

Yes, white ring, new current production.  Maybe it was a good batch, but I'm very happy with it.  Doesn't seem to be missing any lows, as is usually the complaint with the new ones, from what I have gathered here.  
studio info

morphtec

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 03:45:37 PM »

I bet this post alone raised the average price of M49s....
Wink

svensk wrote on Sun, 22 June 2008 22:45

Mike Lovers Unite!!!

Does anyone elase feel like I do???

I absolutely love my Neumann M-49's....

As far as I'm concerned, the song, "Man In The Mirror" is the centerpiece, musically speaking, of the Michael Jackson album ?BAD?.

I recorded the Andre Crouch choir on 'Man In The Mirror' with only two microphones.  I used my favorite pair of Neumann M-49?s in the classic ?Blumlein Pair? method.  One of my unquestionably favorite true, stereophonic microphone techniques.  

This is perhaps the best known of all single point stereo microphone techniques.  

I am frequently asked....  "What is the effect on the choir on ?Man In The Mirror??"

Isn?t that something?  There is NO effect on the choir on ?Man In The Mirror?.   I try to explaining by saying that the recording of the choir on ?Man In The Mirror?, is a classic,(But simple) stereo microphone technique!  Of course, in addition, you have the best gospel choir in the world, in one of the best studios in world! (Westlake Audio?s gorgeous, Studio ?D?, in Hollywood)

This wonderful piece of music has a graceful, natural sounding, dynamic curve to it.  From the transparent, burnished brass synthesized bells in the intro, to the Andre Crouch choir that comes in at the modulation and, of course, the music climaxes with the huge ending.

Interesting isn't it?

Listen to it sometime and check it out.....

Bruce Swedien
The Music Viking....

Barry Hufker

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »

No doubt.  M49s that used to go for (reasonable prices) are now (going up)  Sux.

Markus Aalto

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »

svensk wrote on Sun, 22 June 2008 23:45

Mike Lovers Unite!!!

I recorded the Andre Crouch choir on 'Man In The Mirror' with only two microphones.  I used my favorite pair of Neumann M-49?s in the classic ?Blumlein Pair? method.  One of my unquestionably favorite true, stereophonic microphone techniques.  

Wow. Nice to know! Andrae Crouch's music is unique and he is very nice person. I've met and discussed with him in person. Actually he invented a name for the group that i worked with 20 years back in Finland...

Where it is possible to find more examples of typical M-49 sounds? Is the sound of M-49 much different from U47?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »

Quote:

Is the sound of M-49 much different from U47?

Yes ... and no.  Wink

They share the same capsule, so the basic over all timbre is similar.  However, the U47 has more things that color it, such as the high end presence peak caused by the grill design, and the mid range "oomph" of the VF14 and BV8 combination.  I find the M49 to be more even sounding, and smoother on top, and without that "mid range authority," as Klaus likes to call it.  It's certainly less aggressive than  U47, and more refined ... whatever the hell that means to anybody but me.  

I've never done an examination of it, but does anybody find any difference in the "reach" between the two mics?
studio info

Oliver Archut

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »

Hello J.J.,

there are three different BV11 version that I would describe from nice and sweet to full bodied. And then of course the the circuit set up. Most people prefer the C version but a B version with the very early BV11, sounds mighty on everything but Rock/Pop music. In my world they are two different sounding mics, and I would take a M49 over an U47 any day.

Best regards,
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

compasspnt

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »

There goes the price up another notch...

J.J. Blair

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »

Oliver, that's interesting.  My M49Bs, circa 1959, seem to have a little more something going on in the 600Hz to 1000Hz area.  They feel thicker than my M49 with the ruby jewel.  Would you attribute that to the transformer?

And if so, is there anything short of changing the transformer that could mitigate that thickness?  Any values that one could change, etc?
studio info

jrmintz

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »

This M49 image was iconic to me:

index.php/fa/12213/0/.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 16 queries.