R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: (M49) Mike Lovers- Unite!!!  (Read 66600 times)

svensk

(M49) Mike Lovers- Unite!!!
« on: June 22, 2008, 04:45:37 PM »

Mike Lovers Unite!!!

Does anyone else feel like I do???

I absolutely love my Neumann M-49's....

As far as I'm concerned, the song, "Man In The Mirror" is the centerpiece, musically speaking, of the Michael Jackson album "BAD".

I recorded the Andre Crouch choir on 'Man In The Mirror' with only two microphones.  I used my favorite pair of Neumann M-49?s in the classic ?Blumlein Pair? method.  One of my unquestionably favorite true, stereophonic microphone techniques.  

This is perhaps the best known of all single point stereo microphone techniques.  

I am frequently asked....  "What is the effect on the choir on "Man In The Mirror"

Isn't that something?  There is NO effect on the choir on "Man In The Mirror?.   I try to explaining by saying that the recording of the choir on "Man In The Mirror", is a classic, (but simple) stereo microphone technique!  Of course, in addition, you have the best gospel choir in the world, in one of the best studios in world! (Westlake Audio?s gorgeous, Studio 'D', in Hollywood)

This wonderful piece of music has a graceful, natural sounding, dynamic curve to it.  From the transparent, burnished brass synthesized bells in the intro, to the Andre Crouch choir that comes in at the modulation and, of course, the music climaxes with the huge ending.

Interesting isn't it?

Listen to it sometime and check it out.....

Bruce Swedien
The Music Viking....

compasspnt

Re: Mike Lovers Unite!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:20:29 PM »

Hey Bruce,

I couldn't agree more.

I LOVE my 49's, and use them all the time (although one of them should now head to Klaus for a checkup).

There have been no better microphones ever made.

But remember, here we are driving up the prices out there on Ebay...

Terry

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:56:49 PM »

I thought this was a thread about Mike Love of the Beach Boys!  

As you can tell from my avatar, I'm a M49 fan!

In my last phone conversation with Klaus, I was asking him why the M49's value has not risen in parallel with the other great tube mics.  I always remember M49s costing more than U47s and C12s, when I was first collecting gear.  Now U67s cost as much or more than an M49, and that's just not right!  

Anyway, Klaus seemed to think, if I am quoting him correctly, that there is no iconic image of any singer or record where people then think "M49."

But I agree with Terry, and I have said it for years now, it's the most versatile high end mic made.  It's a desert island piece for sure, and not only does it work on everything, everything sounds great on it. (Bold added by K.H.!)

Terry, I'd rather somebody drive up the price of the C12VR, so I can sell mine to pay for the M367 I got.  LOL.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

tunetown

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »

Here's one that's starting quite expensive
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&am p;item=320265361163&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

Is there any modern day equivalent?

Cheers
Peter Houghton
Tune Town

Barry Hufker

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:08:13 PM »

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 10:27:20 PM »

Apparently there's a Wunder version as well.
I haven't seen or heard it, just saw some discussion on another forum.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

Barry Hufker

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:01:06 PM »

Wunder is the American importer for Flea.

And I also love my M49.

Of course, my goal is to own as many wonderful mics as Mr. Swedien.  I'm only halfway there. But that's in the number of mics. That certainly doesn't include a portion of his talent or accomplishments.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:41 AM »

BTW, I still haven't figured out the difference between the Wunder branded mics and the Flea branded ones.  Mike doesn't respond to all my questions, so if anybody can find this out, that would be interesting.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Barry Hufker

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 04:44:58 PM »

I can't get Flea to reply to *any* email I send them.  Hudson has dealt with Flea.  I'm sure he knows what's going on.  Hudson?

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 07:02:05 PM »

Barry,
The question was: "Is there a modern-day equivalent for the M49?" To which you responded:
Barry Hufker wrote on Sun, 22 June 2008 19:08

http://www.flea-microphones.com/
The Flea M49

You know I am a stickler for first hand information, when it comes to references, as amply expressed in the Ground Rules. So: how about it? What can you share?
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mike Cleaver

Re: (M49) Mike Lovers- Unite!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »

There is a rather humorous mp3 allegedly with all parts recorded with a Wunder M49 over on GearSlutz but it's mp3, I think.
I much prefer listening to .wav when I'm trying to assess the sound of something.
I think the topic poster goes by the handle "raw bean zen."
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

Steve Hudson

Re: (M49) Mike Lovers- Unite!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 07:58:01 PM »

I have been meaning to check out the Wunder ever since I saw five of them at Mike's shop last month. He was very cool about letting me record a whole bunch of CM7s when I was auditioning those, so I imagine he'd be up for doing the same with the CM49. I'll ask him if he'd have time to let me record some stuff I could share here.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Barry Hufker

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 11:42:16 PM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Mon, 23 June 2008 18:02

Barry,
The question was: "Is there a modern-day equivalent for the M49?" To which you responded:
Barry Hufker wrote on Sun, 22 June 2008 19:08

http://www.flea-microphones.com/
The Flea M49

You know I am a stickler for first hand information, when it comes to references, as amply expressed in the Ground Rules. So: how about it? What can you share?

I can only base my response on Hudson Fair's posting in your forum.  Hudson thinks the microphone is wonderful and he posted saying so.  I can't repeat what he said because I don't have first hand knowledge of the microphone other than Flea makes one they claim is equivalent.  I felt the best I could do was to point a direction.  I know the microphone exists and here's where it is.  I suppose I should have said that but I was trying for brevity.  And I didn't want to repeat hearsay.

I'm sorry if I violated the ground rules.  I'm just trying to be helpful.

I'll pay better attention next time.

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 11:47:02 PM »

Barry, fair enough.
I am also trying to keep to first hand info because forums like this are sometimes used by manufacturers as 'free advertising'. So I'd like to keep an eye on stuff they may be prone to grab when it's not really warranted.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

MagnetoSound

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 06:32:54 AM »

Mike Cleaver wrote on Tue, 24 June 2008 00:29

There is a rather humorous mp3 allegedly with all parts recorded with a Wunder M49 over on GearSlutz but it's mp3, I think.
I much prefer listening to .wav when I'm trying to assess the sound of something.
I think the topic poster goes by the handle "raw bean zen."

Actually, it is a .wav - and great fun.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/201013-whod-like-hea r-wunder-cm49.html

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.