R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clock over Optical vs. Wordclock - Any Difference?  (Read 4416 times)

Red Tape

Clock over Optical vs. Wordclock - Any Difference?
« on: June 17, 2008, 08:00:26 AM »

If I have the option to clock over ADAT or Wordclock - does it matter which I use?
Would either perform better?

burp182

Re: Clock over Optical vs. Wordclock - Any Difference?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »

A couple of folks have said that the plastic fiber used in ADAT type optical cable is much more prone to jitter than the glass fiber (which requires a whole different LED setup to use). All things being available and equal, use the BNC wordclock.

mixwell

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »

ALWAYS.....

I repeat....ALWAYS

Separate the clock [if you can] from ANY optical connection, via WC or elsewhere. There is an audible improvement when the clocking is left out of the optical cable.

tom eaton

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:57:39 PM »

Of course, you can't "leave the clock out" of the optical cable... but agreed, it's better to  not clock from an optical connection.

-tom

Blas

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »

Tom, So you and Adam are saying, that quart can of powdered 'clock-stop' that I sprinkled on our toslink cables doesn't really do a thing?  Damned be that ebay  Very Happy

Blas
Conjecture and theory are all well and good...but the proof comes out of the speakers - Fletcher
He who has said the pen is mightier than the sword, has never been in a pen & sword fight!- me

marcel

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 01:08:43 PM »

Blas wrote on Fri, 20 June 2008 08:53

Tom, So you and Adam are saying, that quart can of powdered 'clock-stop' that I sprinkled on our toslink cables doesn't really do a thing?  Damned be that ebay  Very Happy

Blas

Clock-blocker!
Best, Marcel

tom eaton

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:02:15 PM »

I agree, Clock-Blocker works way better than Clock-Stop.  I almost feel bad for folks who use Clock-Stop.

-tom

Blas

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 03:52:25 PM »

That's okay, don't feel too bad, as they threw in a small spray can of Clock-Knock for free!  Can't say it rocks, but it's good to free locks. Even use it on my Glock.

Blas
Conjecture and theory are all well and good...but the proof comes out of the speakers - Fletcher
He who has said the pen is mightier than the sword, has never been in a pen & sword fight!- me

danickstr

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 11:50:56 AM »

Just be careful with the BNC's that they don't loop back on themselves and create a clock ring.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Ian Visible

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 08:37:25 AM »

...and don't let them rub together too much; there's nothing worse than a chafed clock.

dtucker

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 03:52:28 PM »

mixwell wrote on Thu, 19 June 2008 13:51

ALWAYS.....

I repeat....ALWAYS

Separate the clock [if you can] from ANY optical connection, via WC or elsewhere. There is an audible improvement when the clocking is left out of the optical cable.

I've been using my Rosetta 800 with my 002Rack clock set to "optical".  Are you suggesting I should change the setting to "internal" and let the 002 clock the Rosetta?  Will this make an audible difference considering the questionable quality of the 002Rack?

thx

marcel

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 08:12:04 PM »

dtucker wrote on Tue, 01 July 2008 12:52

ALWAYS.....

I repeat....ALWAYS

I've been using my Rosetta 800 with my 002Rack clock set to "optical".  Are you suggesting I should change the setting to "internal" and let the 002 clock the Rosetta?  Will this make an audible difference considering the questionable quality of the 002Rack?

thx

There's no 'good' solution here.  Ideally, you would want to run a BNC wordclock cable from the Apogee to the 002...  But the 002 will not receive wordclock.

If you slave the Apogee to the 002, the clock is still being passed over TOSlink optical, just in the other direction.

You're probably best to leave it as it is...
Best, Marcel

mixwell

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »

Agreed,

I should have said "whenever possible" use the BNC word clocking method along side an optical cable.

Geoff Doane

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »

marcel wrote on Tue, 01 July 2008 21:12

dtucker wrote on Tue, 01 July 2008 12:52

ALWAYS.....

I repeat....ALWAYS

thx

There's no 'good' solution here.  Ideally, you would want to run a BNC wordclock cable from the Apogee to the 002...  But the 002 will not receive wordclock.

If you slave the Apogee to the 002, the clock is still being passed over TOSlink optical, just in the other direction.

You're probably best to leave it as it is...

If the 002 isn't doing any conversion, it shouldn't make any difference how it gets its clock.  See this thread from a few years ago:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/16653/1522/?src h=jitter#msg_16653

The bottom line (according to Bob Katz) is that the clock is only critical at the converters.

GTD
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.