R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diamond Mining in the Arctic Circle  (Read 3151 times)

YZ

Diamond Mining in the Arctic Circle
« on: June 21, 2008, 12:15:52 PM »

Folks,

We've seen protests and activism from environmentalists and concerned people in general about several subjects that have appeared in the mainstream media over time; personal beliefs aside, my position is that the ensuing discussions are a good thing for they may lead to a better understanding of what is important and what is not.

Recently my attention was called to the subject of Diamond Mining in the Arctic Circle; you can see a little bit of it at

http://bhpbilliton.com/bb/ourBusinesses/diamondsSpecialtyPro ducts/ekatiDiamondMine/aboutEkati.jsp

the site belongs to one of the mining companies so it presents their view.

Nevertheless, there we can read things like:

"the mine operates in an area of continuous permafrost"

"there is storage for approximately 90 million litres of diesel fuel on site"

The mining operations are both underground and surface; surface mining of diamonds is similar to the mining of coal: they blow up the ground and create huge craters, then dig in.

So these guys are blowing up permafrost.

And in the process, sending shockwaves to the glaciers, maybe helping those to slide down and break up into the ocean?

I couldn't find any mention of this activity on environment activism sites.

In the same general location (300Km north of Yellowknife) there are a few other diamond mining operations.  

{edit} more links:

http://www.diavik.ca/loc.htm

picture of an arctic mining pit, from the same Diavik site:

http://www.diavik.ca/Photos/2007/DSC_0004.html

Another pic (looks very impressive):

http://www.diavik.ca/Photos/2007/DSC_0030.html

What happened to the island?

http://www.diavik.ca/Photos/2006/Diavik%20%201%20004.html

What do you think?

regards,

YZ

Barry Hufker

Re: Diamond Mining in the Arctic Circle
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 02:12:41 PM »

I've never understood the notion of wanting to own a diamond (mink coat, chinchilla, etc.).  Diamonds are not rare (even tho' the marketing ploy is that they are). They are over-priced rocks often harvested on the backs of lowly paid workers operating in unsafe conditions.  They are often used to fund terrorism.

At least when coal mining is performed some "good" can come out of it, such as heating homes or something.  But diamonds add nothing to people's lives or the improvement of their condition.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 02:36:02 PM »

Those pictures are truly chilling. At what point do they say 'that's enough'?

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

johnR

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 19:12

At least when coal mining is performed some "good" can come out of it, such as heating homes or something.  But diamonds add nothing to people's lives or the improvement of their condition.

I agree about diamonds used in jewellery, but don't forget they have many industrial uses too, like in cutting tools and abrasives. Some materials can't be cut or worked without them.

YZ

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 03:23:14 PM »

The mining companies estimate the useful life of their Arctic operations at around 20 years, after which the output decreases below the desired profitability levels.

On the other hand they talk a lot about 'sustainability' and working with the local population.

I wonder how much are they caring for the environment if they know that the enterprise will not last long...  all they need to do is buy the complicity of the locals and cover up the story until it is time to leave; let the future take care of the damages.

There are so many things we did wrong in the past that today we say to ourselves "if only we knew better"...  well, we know better now.

People worry about the impact of biofuels and so forth, I couldn't find any link to any "tree-hugger" site mentioning Arctic Circle diamond mining.

Could it be because it is really innocuous to the environment?

Does anyone here know better and can clarify this matter?

regards,

YZ

YZ

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »

johnR wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 16:19

I agree about diamonds used in jewellery, but don't forget they have many industrial uses too, like in cutting tools and abrasives. Some materials can't be cut or worked without them.

I was under the impression that most diamond-enhanced tools used artificial diamonds, which are less costly because they don't look good enough for jewelry but still have the same physical properties.

regards,

YZ

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 06:44:37 PM »

Those photos are so lovely, I thought I would actually  keep them up live.

index.php/fa/9241/0/

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 06:46:08 PM »

index.php/fa/9242/0/

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:48:41 PM »

index.php/fa/9243/0/

Bill Mueller

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »

"Civilization" from the air always looks like an infestation to me.

Best regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

E Merrill

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »

YZ wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 15:25

I was under the impression that most diamond-enhanced tools used artificial diamonds, which are less costly because they don't look good enough for jewelry but still have the same physical properties.

Yes. It is difficult and expensive to make a diamond large enough to perch on a finger but simple to manufacture industrial diamonds.

The diamond must be stopped.

PookyNMR

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 01:03:18 AM »

I can understand the shock of such sites, but how is this any worse than any other type of strip / open pit mining for any other number of materials?

I've been to Yellowknife a number of times.  I've also known a few different folks who have worked in the mining industry up there.  If you're shocked at the level of environmental disaster, you're looking in the wrong spot.  

The gold mines in Yellowknife are far worse.  Years ago some scientists were finding that the chemicals released in the mining process were making their way through some of the porous underground rock formations slowly tainting the water supply with chemicals like arsenic.  Some scientists were fearing that the mess from the gold mines may render the whole area uninhabitable within as little as a generation or two.

Nathan Rousu

Strummer

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 01:08:42 AM »

Diavik mine is inside a cofferdam. When the operation is done the lake will refill.

I'm not justifying that particular operation, I'm only saying that if you look at open pit coal, open pit copper, large operations visible from space, this pales in comparison.

If it's not grown it's mined.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 01:53:33 PM »

You all raise such excellent points...

Much to think about.

YZ

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »

strummer and Pooky:

It seems that you know a bit more than I do about mining, so I ask:

Isn't the Tundra a fragile ecosystem that takes generations to recover from damage? The diamond and gold mines are in the Tundra, aren't they?

Mining uses explosives; being so close to the glaciers, wouldn't the detonations affect the glaciers, contributing to their breakup and slide into the sea?

They've built an 'ice road' to keep a supply line during the winter; from what I've seen they have thousands of heavy trucks traveling back and forth between Yellowknife and the fringe of the arctic circle in a season where everything used to be very quiet; doesn't that impact the local ecosystem?

The Arctic and Antarctic regions were probably the only untouched parts of our planet, where everything was kept as 'original' as it has ever been; wouldn't such intrusions have a negative effect?

I did not think about the gold mining operations there, silly me, I believed that they've ended after the 'Yukon Fever' era.

regards,

YZ

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 03:19:46 PM »

Strummer wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 22:08

If it's not grown it's mined.

This is a good point. Diamonds can now be grown using one of two methods: the "Chemical Vapor Deposition" process or the "High Pressure High Temperature" process.

These are "real" diamonds and identical to traditionally mined diamonds except for their method of production. They are commonly called cultured diamonds, similar to cultured pearls.

Besides being conflict free, the diamonds are also much more eco-friendly, because they are not displacing such large amounts of earth or using as much energy.

Jason

Strummer

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »

I should have stayed out of this.

I commented only on Diavik, of which I know a little. I had an opportunity to participate in site prep and I declined for several reasons.

Mining is a big word. It's underground and surface. It's metal, mineral, and non-metal (primarily rock and stone for road and building construction).

I can't comment on specific environmental effects of mining in the Arctic, but yes it concerns me, one of many reasons I didn't go. Someone posted pictures, I did comment but didn't state clearly enough that someday an aerial view of that site will show little evidence of mining. I understand the tundra is fragile. I live in a fragile desert and see how long flora and fauna takes to repair themselves. Using proper methods we can vastly speed that up.

Are there environmental effects from the project? No doubt. Are they long term or permanent to the environment? I don't know.

EDIT: Removed one obviously redundant word.

PookyNMR

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 05:12:50 PM »

YZ wrote on Sun, 22 June 2008 13:11

strummer and Pooky:

It seems that you know a bit more than I do about mining, so I ask:

Isn't the Tundra a fragile ecosystem that takes generations to recover from damage? The diamond and gold mines are in the Tundra, aren't they?

The diamond mines are in a very remote area where there is literally nothing.  It's not the same as the Alaskan Tundra, which is in much closer proximity to the sea.  But no matter, mining of all forms and all substances harms the environment.  Some forms of mining are more repairable than others.  The Gold mines up there are are more irreparable than the diamond mines from what I've personally seen and been told.

Mining uses explosives; being so close to the glaciers, wouldn't the detonations affect the glaciers, contributing to their breakup and slide into the sea?

No.  They're near ice fields, but not typical mountain glaciers.  Ice movement would be the least of the enviro problems, IMHO.

They've built an 'ice road' to keep a supply line during the winter; from what I've seen they have thousands of heavy trucks traveling back and forth between Yellowknife and the fringe of the arctic circle in a season where everything used to be very quiet; doesn't that impact the local ecosystem?

I've been over the ice roads a number of times.  They are seasonal of course.  And it's not so much something they build as it is that the water freezes quite deep and is able to support significant weight.  During the summer you take the ferry.  And during the 'ice-break up' Yellowknife is accessible only by air for all products and services.

The ice road system (or other highways up there) are no different in their impact than any other highway in another other part of the world.

The Arctic and Antarctic regions were probably the only untouched parts of our planet, where everything was kept as 'original' as it has ever been; wouldn't such intrusions have a negative effect

The aboriginal people have been up there all over the place for longer than we can count.  The land is not untouched, but largely undeveloped.  And if you've ever been up there in mid-February, you'd know why it's very undeveloped!

I'd argue that all development has some negative enviro impact.  The trick is keeping it to a minimum.  

I did not think about the gold mining operations there, silly me, I believed that they've ended after the 'Yukon Fever' era.

Gold has remained a very large industry up there.  It was the main resource before the diamonds were discovered.  Now that the price of gold is where it is, is has become quite a profitable business.

Nathan Rousu

maxim

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 09:13:33 PM »

bill wrote:

""Civilization" from the air always looks like an infestation to me."

here's a delightful little aluminium smelter in the heart of paradise

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&am p;q=northern+territory&ie=UTF8&ll=-12.188781,136.687 152&spn=0.005118,0.007875&t=k&z=17

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 08:44:47 AM »

BHP :

Official sponsor of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Well, now that I know THIS little fact, it is then allright by me. Dig away.

(not...)
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

cerberus

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 12:59:10 PM »

jewel quality diamonds are also coming from massachusetts.
and there is no damage to the local ecosystem. here
is an article i found riveting: and inspiring...
it's all about what being an
american means to me:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/diamonds-on-dem and.html?c=y&page=1

jeff dinces

YZ

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »

cerberus wrote on Sat, 28 June 2008 13:59

jewel quality diamonds are also coming from massachusetts.
and there is no damage to the local ecosystem. here
is an article i found riveting: and inspiring...
it's all about what being an
american means to me:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/diamonds-on-dem and.html?c=y&page=1

jeff dinces

From a reader comment at the above-quoted link:

"As has been pointed out, this subject was originally broached to the popular press in a WIRED magazine article, which mentioned several companies experimenting with plasma diamond crystal growth. One is Gemesis (http://www.gemesis.com/). Another company Web site, which I did not bookmark, indicated shortly thereafter that it had been purchased by Chinese interests. Cheap Chinese diamonds?!"

regards,

YZ

RSettee

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 17:51

"Civilization" from the air always looks like an infestation to me.

Best regards,

Bill

+1. And that's almost always true.

Regarding the pictures, i'm pretty sure that there's a point where on this earth, nothing will be left to be harvested, dug, mined, oil rigged, and there won't be a drop left of water left unpolluted or tainted. Give it a hundred or two years, hell, maybe even 50. The only good I can say that will come of that is that I should probably be in the ground by then....but I do seriously worry for the grandkids, great grandkids and every other generation after that. I'd also like to tell industry to stop, but as we know, we're on a train to hell and when we're halfway down, it's pretty hard to reverse it.

At some point, I almost feel like becoming a Hutterite or live in some non-technological society. But that reminds me of a monastery here where they had their own community--farming, everything--and they abandoned it because the city encroached too close and ruined their sanctity.

Where do you move nowadays that isn't threatened by mass urbanization or industry looking to pillage whatever's underneath? Around here, there were tons of sacred graves that were all dug up by urbanization.

Edit: and it's for yet another vanity reason. Diamonds. You'd think that it would be for something important, but like Barry says, at least with coal mining, you're getting a useful side product from it (either the coal being the side product....or the diamonds). But at least there's something productive about it.

PookyNMR

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 06:41:34 PM »

RSettee wrote on Wed, 02 July 2008 16:33

Regarding the pictures, i'm pretty sure that there's a point where on this earth, nothing will be left to be harvested, dug, mined, oil rigged, and there won't be a drop left of water left unpolluted or tainted.

We've long past that point.  Whether you look at the ice on the polar caps or in the major glacial systems, their all full of toxic material.  

I was recently touring the Columbia Ice Fields and saw the list of toxins present in those glaciers.  A number of the toxins are substances were never used in the area but that were transported by air currents from another continent.

Nathan Rousu

RSettee

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 06:48:22 PM »

That brings up a good point---there's so many things that are imported, that it's introducing different strains of viruses to different places. Or different bugs, with different diseases and whatnot. It's almost like when immigrants came over in ships and had smallpox or the Bubonic Plague or whatever. You have to be very very careful of what you introduce to different species and different environments.

Even them blowing things up might change the polar ice caps or something. That might seem extreme--and it might not be the ice caps that are affected--but those shocks could ruin the species in the sea, below. They've never done any tests to see if there was any ultrasonic waves that may have killed marine life underwater due to excessive sound, from all the explosions--some sort of explosion or implosion in the water. I'm no scientist and no expert on this, but there's certainly a whole subsystem of things that come with them blowing things up and then digging into the ground and disturbing minute ecosystems that had habitated there for centuries or even longer without being disrupted.

Edit: I read this in the operations:

Quote:

using wet high-intensity magnetic separators, wet and dry particle X-ray sorters, drier and grease table.

I've never particularly trusted x-rays, and where does all the "waste materials" go for these operations?
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.