R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Does This Make Sense?  (Read 8528 times)

dcollins

Does This Make Sense?
« on: June 02, 2004, 04:57:16 AM »

Here is the answer for everybody that thinks cutting it flat is the way to go:

http://theoutboardrack.com/

You just ship it out, and tell 'em: "Gimmie that there 1176 will all four buttons pushed in , gain-reduction set to rawk."

You should start with just one instrument and see how that works.  How about an AC-30 with a coin for a pick? Maybe they have a coupon for the rhythm section.....

"We set the dials so you don't have to."

You can order your chain just like a Chinese restaurant menu, "Gimme an EQ from column A, dynamics from column B, and a side of L2."

We'll take the "to go" part as read..........

DC

satisfactory

Re: Does This Make Sense?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 07:36:16 AM »

Quote:

We can add Waves L2 hardware to any of these chains at no extra cost.

Quote:

We can assemble a chain for any acoustic instrument. Contact us to find out what's best for your recordings.

zow!
justin collins,
satisfactoryatburntsienna dot com

grock5

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 09:44:49 AM »

Sadly, it would make perfect sense.

We are entering a new level of "pass the buck engineering".
From "engineers" who only know how to record synths and drum machines, to stem mixes at mastering, the bar has been lowered.

But according to their website ...

Quote:

The Internet Outboard Rack is optimum for polishing finished tracks and for mastering as well as for an occasional individual track.

It's a mastering facility - less the engineer.

Amazing!

If gear made the difference that some folks apparently think it does, equipment manufacturers would not be selling their units to studios, instead, they'd be running proprietary processing houses, charging a premium for their technologies, and making a killing money-wise.. They'd just install equipment rooms akin to duplication rooms with just racks and racks of their prize products processing stereo files 24/7, unattended by any human, automated from start to finish.

Sadly, Har-Bal probably has a patent on such a system already...

- Gary

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 09:47:50 AM »

Well hey, it's the gear that matters right? I mean, no one hires an engineer based on credentials anymore...

Seriously, what is up with this? Someone has some serious dollars, but do they have any sense?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Invisible Member

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 11:10:19 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 06:47

Well hey, it's the gear that matters right? I mean, no one hires an engineer based on credentials anymore...

Seriously, what is up with this? Someone has some serious dollars, but do they have any sense?

I thought it was a joke? Making fun of internet mastering sites who fake the gear and do ITB without rhyme or reason.

In this generation of gear lists and fancy graphics all it takes is some good web design and the homies are hooked. Its the teenage boy mentality. "Personality? I just wanna know how big the racks are":)

Peace,
Dennis

grock5

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 11:41:23 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 09:47

exactly what I thought at first.

But perhaps there is some sense involved, leaning their business model's success precisely on the lack of it in their clientel!

Hows that saying go? Something about "never going broke underestimating the stupidity of public" ...

OTR-jkl

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 12:35:53 PM »

Geez! What will "they" think of next...?

Quote:

Haven't heard a Weiss compressor or a Manley Slam?

OK - now, how is someone gonna build a chain out of all that gear that they've "never heard of before"?    Rolling Eyes
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

davidc

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 02:31:14 PM »

I gotta say they got great taste in gear. I wish I could afford some of that Razz .

Best Regards

David C

duaneadam

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 02:49:34 PM »

You are looking at the pre-phase one website of a new Silicon Valley company that has not yet been fully exposed to the public. We are still doing a lot of test marketing.

For those finding the site, the greatest misconception appears to be that the spacecraft isn't manned. It is, by myself as well as by two other seasoned and very talented audio engineers.  

The second misconception is that processing is being done with a blindfold on. It isn’t. We communicate with each client until we understand exactly what they want. Frequently, equipment  isn't discussed until we understand the goal. Before tracks are  printed, the client receives an MP3 to approve. The per track price includes use of the equipment as well as the processing performed by someone who has significant experience using that component.

The idea for this company was conceived in recognition of three market conditions within the music industry that we view as long term.

1. Mastering is a growing market segment among home recording enthusiasts. We are projecting that the need for a hybrid type of audio facility that can either assist in or perform full mastering services will be strong over the next decade, providing the quality exceeds that which is considered typical in the industry.

2. Hi quality recording and mastering equipment is here to stay despite advances in computer software programs. The desirability of world class equipment will continue to exceed its affordability and 95% of musicians will never have equipment of the highest caliber due to cost. We view the ability to put processing normally considered unaffordable, into the hands of everyone as a niche that hasn’t been filled

3. It isn't possible for the majority of us to get a demonstration of high end equipment, particularly that which is backordered or in strong demand. So is sending a track to us to hear the effect of say, a Weiss DS1-Mk2 the best way to get a demonstration? Probably not. But it is one of the fastest and most affordable ways bar none and in many cases it's the ONLY way.

From a recent client in Australia: The compressor is very hi fi sounding and its great to actually hear one. As I will be buying blind as no one has one that I know in Australia. Like a lot of things . A pretty cool idea to upload and process files for things you are looking at big $’s for and cannot try first. Yes I would rather play with the knobs myself although great ot hear my tracks processed.

Only posting my responses for some clarification. I don’t expect the audio professionals who peruse this forum to be our market but the contempt prior to investigation seems to be getting pretty weighty. I don’t view this venture as the deterioration of audio as we know it, quite the contrary. Our standards are remarkably high. I view this as an opportunity to let those who have a thirst for audiophile grade sound quality to experience it at a cost they can afford.

As to the original question, does this make sense? You never fully know until you try it, so we're trying it. Then again, we're in Silicon Valley and we do things differently here. Ever hear of the pet rock or a thing called the Apple computer?

Duane Adam
Silicon Valley CA

dcollins

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 04:28:22 PM »

duaneadam wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 11:49

As to the original question, does this make sense? You never fully know until you try it, so we're trying it. Then again, we're in Silicon Valley and we do things differently here. Ever hear of the pet rock or a thing called the Apple computer?

I think you need to emphasize the engineer(s) that will be doing the work, their experience, the monitoring and acoustics.

I've heard of Sillycone Valley, they are famous for their  "business models"

Did you win the lottery, or something?

DC

duaneadam

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 04:58:49 PM »

Quote:

I think you need to emphasize the engineer(s) that will be doing the work, their experience, the monitoring and acoustics.

Site isn't finished.

Quote:

I've heard of Sillycone Valley, they are famous for their "business models"

Innovation.

Quote:

Did you win the lottery, or something?

60 hour work weeks, nobody has ever given me a dime.

iluvatar

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 05:22:35 PM »

Harmony-central.com has had a similar "MonsterRack" service for quite some time, but marketed towards guitar players. There's a forum specifically for it, but I have yet to hear of anybody actually using it. The forum is mainly used to discuss rack-based guitar gear.

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Minister of Public Enlightenment
Mercenary Audio

"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.."

pg666

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 05:55:36 PM »

this site could be interesting for tracking/mixing. it would be kinda fun (ie. like once or twice) to send off a mono drum track and have them slam it with a manley or something "for the price of a guitar cable". i think that would be a more promising angle than 'mastering'..

Mixerman

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 11:38:40 AM »

Dear Duane,

My readers are more your customers than these high end snooty Mastering Engineers. These guys have no vision.

Sorry to make you go to two places, but could you come to my forum and post this as well? This forum has very strict rules on the nut licking of visionaries. Brad doesn't tolerate that here. Anyway, it would be much appreciated if you would come by to visit.

Thanks!

Click here to get to the thread.

Sorry Brad, I don't think I've ever tried to direct a subject from your forum to my forum, but you know, the natives are restless...

Mixerman

Now available! The Daily Adventures of Mixerman & Zen and the Art of Mixing!

Mixerman.net
The Womb Forums
Facebook Page
Mixerman Radio Show

bblackwood

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 12:24:21 PM »

No problem, Mixerman.

duaneadam wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 13:49

but the contempt prior to investigation seems to be getting pretty weighty. I don’t view this venture as the deterioration of audio as we know it, quite the contrary. Our standards are remarkably high. I view this as an opportunity to let those who have a thirst for audiophile grade sound quality to experience it at a cost they can afford.

I think the issue is that we (audio engineers in general) have been fighting the ears-not-gear battle of education for a long time now. Anyone with enough money can buy gear, where's the talent? People are (or at least should be) hired or fired based on their talent, not what's in their rack.

I don't presume that the mere presence of your site will destroy the years of hard work or the education we have striven for, but to be honest, I do believe it preys on the ignorance of the masses. Instead of touting your engineering prowess and listing credits so someone can go and hear some of your work, the very premise is that it's the equipment that matters.

I disagree completely.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.