R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QOTSA recording process..  (Read 7463 times)

j.hall

Re: QOTSA recording process..
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 09:19:02 AM »

i agree.....to go to that effort for a a drum sound that actually SOUNDS, sound replaced....seems like wasted effort.

trexrox

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 02:50:29 PM »

I like the drum sound on that record.  I think it fits with the songs really well.  I couldn't imagine it any other way.  If you listen to "Noone Knows" you can hear the room sound, in fact the snare isn't perfectly in phase, it's very wide sounding.  The room is just very tight and controlled, almost no decay at all.  They obviously weren't going for a big room sound ala "John Bonham" but a harder, punchier sound.  

My CD came with a DVD that has a lot of live footage as well as some studio shots of them working on the record.  kinda cool.

And it wouldn't be the first time Grohl has overdubbed cymbals... go listen to the HiHat on"Everlong" off "The Color and the Shape" FF record.

tenaciousJay

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 05:51:03 PM »

shangrila wrote on Wed, 04 August 2004 11:50

And it wouldn't be the first time Grohl has overdubbed cymbals... go listen to the HiHat on"Everlong" off "The Color and the Shape" FF record.

Say it ain't so!

I've played this song with 2 different drummers and they each bitch and moan and try to convince us not to play it because of that hat part (these are thrown together cover bands pretty much but I've played with these guys in original bands for years, both are excellent drummers). They each would say something along the lines of "I'm no Dave Grohl" or "My arm is going to fall off" but never "He didn't really play that all at once!"

I always just thought he was a monster drummer (which he is no matter the answer) but now I'm going to have to listen again and check it out.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 17 queries.