R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Dem Stems, Dem Stems, Them Dry Stems.  (Read 14409 times)

Bob Olhsson

Re: Dem Stems, Dem Stems, Them Dry Stems.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 02:25:25 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 20:58

...It's claimed that by recommending stems, less experienced engineers can avoid the common errors.

Not by me!

Commitment needs to begin with tracking. We're way off the deep end of what's expected from mixing and I'd also hate to see an additional lack of commitment slop over into mastering. Still stems are a legitimate tool especially when it comes to surround. Like any tool, they shouldn't be used as a crutch.

jfrigo

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 04:24:47 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Thu, 03 June 2004 11:25

Commitment needs to begin with tracking. We're way off the deep end of what's expected from mixing and I'd also hate to see an additional lack of commitment slop over into mastering. Still stems are a legitimate tool especially when it comes to surround. Like any tool, they shouldn't be used as a crutch.

With DVD we don't even have to commit at mastering. We can use the interactivity to deliver stems to the consumer and let them decide on the final mix!
(do I really need the emoticon?)

Ronny

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 04:08:29 AM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 20:43

I think the term stem is being misunderstood. A stem mix by definition is a perfect mix when all the faders are set to zero. A vocal stem, for example, would be a complete stereo or surround mix of the vocal and ALL of the related processing and effects. The same is true for each of the additional elements.

That's what I've always called a yardstick mix. A stem, OTOH, from my interpretation "these days", just means a track that's added later. Stem coming from the root, branch, or to branch out. It can be a single vocal track, or a subgroup of tracks. For one example, the producer decides after the mix that he wants to add 3 background singers. The songs are already into the mastering end of the production and a full re-mix isn't critically required, to save money he provides a stem. I've even recorded amended stems after I've started the mastering and retracked a lead vocal that the client didn't like after the mastering was finished, to add to the song for remastering. Nothing at all wrong with that. However, besides the track amendment, a stem mix can also mean that the mix engineer didn't do a very good job. I've received mixes where the distorted guitars were so loud and in the same frequency range as the vocals, with the vox so buried that nary a word was legible. It was impossible seat the vocal up front enough to understand the lyrics, without bringing the guitars up that much louder. A stem is a logical solution to that predicament for some clients that may not want to have the same engineer remix it. The client typically hears more in the mastering room and some will undoubtedly change their mind on some things, once they listen out of the mix room and their car. I expect it from time to time.

Quote:

There's a huge difference between mixing and rebalancing stems. Stems are used exactly the same way vocal-up or vocal down mixes are used, when a mixer has no way of knowing how the mix ought to be fine-tuned for its position within an album or when the mixer feels the quality of monitoring available isn't sufficient.

Stems are a powerful tool well worth knowing how to use but obviously also a tool which could be subject to misuse.

I also get the lead vocal stem on several occasions, to provide up and down vocal masters, but I don't know too many mix engineers that think their monitors are insufficient, even if they are.  Razz As far as recommending stem's, nope, that implies that the mix engineer or the producer don't have their sh*t together. It is really their job to have the song finished before it goes to mastering, but of course we are all human and that's not always the case. A well prepared producer doesn't usually need stems, because he knows what he wants ahead of time and takes care of the mixing in the mixing grind. It really boils down to preference, I'm not going to diss an ME, because he wants to recommend stems, that's a personal preference, and I sure would hate to see it become common on every mastering job, but there are benefits to providing or resorting to stems in some situations. All projects are different, I'd rather play it by ear and recommend a stem by project, rather than opting to always master with stems as a manner of normal procedure.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

bblackwood

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 09:55:17 AM »

Ronny wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 03:08

I think the term stem is being misunderstood. A stem mix by definition is a perfect mix when all the faders are set to zero. A vocal stem, for example, would be a complete stereo or surround mix of the vocal and ALL of the related processing and effects. The same is true for each of the additional elements.

That's what I've always called a yardstick mix. A stem, OTOH, from my interpretation "these days", just means a track that's added later.

That's not what stems mean in my world, Ronny. Stems are exactly as Bob stated above...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Mixerman

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 01:04:44 PM »

I don't know why so many ME's think it's their job to make a record sound good. It's the mixers job to make the record sound like it's supposed to sound - be that good, bad or ugly. If it's ugly, the mastering engineer should not put the onus on himself to make it sound "good." And if the record sounds good, the ME should not put the onus on himself to make it "loud."

As a mastering engineer, you are to make sure that the mix fits the parameters of the medium. In the case of CD, and unlike vinyl, it can pretty much playback whatever you give it.

MEs are basically tape copy boys who, as a community, have figured out a way to raise their stature in this business by providing sonic homogenization. We as a society have abandoned unique in exchange for familiarity, and it's a tragedy far beyond any ever conceived by Shakespeare. Far be it for me to blame all of societies problems on MEs, as much as I'd like to. And as far as sameness in records is concerned, it was the Majors that drove this trend. MEs merely provided the service. As did some mixers and even recordists.

I'll spare us all the history lesson, complete with rant, on Majors and their efforts to promote homogenization by throwing gobs of money to anyone that could provide such. And believe me, it's all about the money. Because when it comes to money, there is no limit to how far some will go for their piece.

Now MEs want stems. Proof positive that there are no limits to how far some will go for money. I have more respect for a common street hooker than an ME who requests stems.

As far as I'm concerned, any ME that requests stems as a matter of course is merely attempting to to prop himself up even more in the crusade to be King of Homogenization. Discontent in being tape copy boys, these particular MEs seek to completely destroy the artistic merits of recording and mixing by using stems to make the records that they master sound a particular way. Their way. Not the artists' way.

To the MEs that ask for stems as a matter of course, I have two words for you.

Fuck you.

Why the hell this industry ever let Mastering Engineers consider themselves more than transfer technicians is beyond me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Mixerman
Now available! The Daily Adventures of Mixerman & Zen and the Art of Mixing!

Mixerman.net
The Womb Forums
Facebook Page
Mixerman Radio Show

archtop

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 01:26:50 PM »

you know as well as I do

we need the ME's so our needle don't skip
Richard Williams

Tim Gilles

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 04:57:17 PM »

Mixerman wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 13:04

Fuck you.

Why the hell this industry ever let Mastering Engineers consider themselves more than transfer technicians is beyond me.

Falling on the floor.... LMFBO.

What can I say?

Uhmmmm....

Well.... As a former ME..... Uhmmmm... well....

Erk.

I sure did/do appreciate the PASSION some mix AE's bring to the table.....

OTOH.

A great mastering is a thing of beauty.

Gotta love a great mastering.

Rumblefish.

davidc

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 07:09:19 PM »

Mixerman wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 18:04

I don't know why so many ME's think it's their job to make a record sound good. It's the mixers job to make the record sound like it's supposed to sound - be that good, bad or ugly. If it's ugly, the mastering engineer should not put the onus on himself to make it sound "good." And if the record sounds good, the ME should not put the onus on himself to make it "loud."

Thats not what my clients tell me!

Quote:

As a mastering engineer, you are to make sure that the mix fits the parameters of the medium. In the case of CD, and unlike vinyl, it can pretty much playback whatever you give it.

I thought I was there to turn a group of often differently mixed tracks into an album.

Quote:

MEs are basically tape copy boys who, as a community, have figured out a way to raise their stature in this business by providing sonic homogenization. We as a society have abandoned unique in exchange for familiarity, and it's a tragedy far beyond any ever conceived by Shakespeare. Far be it for me to blame all of societies problems on MEs, as much as I'd like to. And as far as sameness in records is concerned, it was the Majors that drove this trend. MEs merely provided the service. As did some mixers and even recordists.

I'll spare us all the history lesson, complete with rant, on Majors and their efforts to promote homogenization by throwing gobs of money to anyone that could provide such. And believe me, it's all about the money. Because when it comes to money, there is no limit to how far some will go for their piece.

Not all ME's are doing it for the money. I would think that most do it because they love music.

Quote:

Now MEs want stems. Proof positive that there are no limits to how far some will go for money. I have more respect for a common street hooker than an ME who requests stems.

As far as I'm concerned, any ME that requests stems as a matter of course is merely attempting to to prop himself up even more in the crusade to be King of Homogenization. Discontent in being tape copy boys, these particular MEs seek to completely destroy the artistic merits of recording and mixing by using stems to make the records that they master sound a particular way. Their way. Not the artists' way.

We don't request stems as a matter of course, but we do recommend them for certain problem situations. I can understand someone suggesting it as policy, because it is easier to have them and not use them than need them and not have them. We don't use stems to remix a track, and we encourage the artist producer to be present. Our job is to help maximise the sound that they want.

Quote:

Fuck you.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Mixerman

Peace to you too!! Very Happy

David C

Ronny

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2004, 03:41:57 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 09:55

Ronny wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 03:08

That's what I've always called a yardstick mix. A stem, OTOH, from my interpretation "these days", just means a track that's added later.

That's not what stems mean in my world, Ronny. Stems are exactly as Bob stated above...

Maybe it's a location thing Brad. When all faders are set to zero and it's a perfect mix, in my area, that's what we've been calling a yardstick mix for as long as I can remember. It stems from (stems ha ha ha) the tracking being so good, that you can take a yardstick and move the faders all at the same time. Basically the tracking was so good that no individual fader leveling is necessary. Quite a rare occurance for sure.
When I receive vocal stems, it's a track or tracks and when it's more than one stem, most of the times they are varied and seldom are equal in gain. The stems seldom contain fx and typically are the raw tracks, although some are effected. So, what they call stems here in Okeefenokee and what they really are, may be two different things. I have better sense than correcting Bob O., he's always spot on and has been around longer than I have. I've learned things from him, but I'm just pointing out that people that bring stems to me typically don't bring them from the stem mix that Bob O. is talking about. They are normally taken from the original tracks at the level that they were recorded at.

What's the definition of a yardstick mix to the rest of you guys?

MM, it doesn't matter if the mix engineer calls all ME's tape copy boys or saviours. When the client brings the ME a stem because the mix engineer fuqued up, or they changed their mind post mix, the ME's are going to accommodate them. Their job is not to kiss the mix engineers ass and make them happy campers, it's to faithfully perform the requests of the client, who hired them and who's paying the bill. The best results come from a good working relationship with the producer, the artists and all of the engineers involved, mean mix and mastering engineers, too. You call the ME's on this group cute derogatory names and incinuate that the world would be better off without them, but think about why so many are in business. You are taking the role of the producer, dictating what an ME is supposed to do and placing the mix engineer, on a pedastel that sticks out from the rest of the production chain and you are sadly fooling yourself. You are nothing but a link in the chain, like everybody else. Mix engineers are not king's and ME's are not glorified tape copy serfs, they are all equal in the eyes of the God of Music. Mix and mastering eng's are just two partial elements of the cd production assembly line, nothing more, nothing less. One is not greater, nor inferior to the other.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------