R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP18 discussion  (Read 15182 times)

j.hall

IMP18 discussion
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:18:27 AM »

chat it up.

slash5969

Re: IMP18 discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »

Perhaps it's due to my abilities (or lack thereof), but I had a terrible time with the drums on this IMP. I ended up mixing the song without drums - it just sounded better to me that way.

The lead vocal track I found quirky and a little noisy when I got the volume up.

I thought the harmony part was really good, and so I used it more than once. Ha! I usually have to get my one "out-of-left-field" edit in there somewhere.

I used basically compression and volume, with very little EQ - just a touch on the lead vocal to rein in low-mids.

I also used Cardinal Points. Nothing is panned anywhere except hard left or hard right.

Overall, this was a fun tune to mix!

Antman

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:48:51 AM »

There were a few more things I would have liked to done if I had the time, automating the bass, bringing the shakere down a dB or two, and brought down those guitars right at the end of the song. I noticed many of you took those off, but I thought they sounded like they were meant to be there, even if they did disrupt a nice ending, so I tried to make them work, perhaps I was missing the musicians point.

Will be interesting to hear how everyone handled the rhythm section in this IMP.

Huds

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »

In my head, I hear the song fade out... Although I usually leave that for the mastering stage, I may fade the mix I've done

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »

since there is no mastering, you should mix the song as you want it heard.

Eric H.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 01:03:05 PM »

i went in for a deep mood. hope it translates.
great arrangement on this song. Great overall tracking too which made it easy to mix. liked those pretty sounds.
eric harizanos

ATOR

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »

The song has great vibe and character and I just let it take me to where it wanted to be.

I dropped the stereo drums, re-amped some guitars, the bass and the drums. The drums needed that to get some focus.

My mix is kinda noisy but that doesn't bother me.

Half the time I spend on this was on editing. This is a classic we'll fix it in the mix recording  Twisted Evil

Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

Daniel Farris

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »

So I really wanted to mix this track, but I was sure I wouldn't have time. Then, last night my session called and said they'd be two hours late.

This is by no means a finished mix from me. It's what I could do in two hours.

I'd give anything for another hour and a half to finish it.

This was my first IMP. It was fun.

DF

Chris Ilett

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 01:39:34 PM »

The song was tracked pretty well in my opinion. Having said that, I didn't get enough time (or with any 'proper' gear) to prove that in my mix.  My drums aren't great, although only a few tweaks away I think.

I was gutted when I found out I'd somehow messed up the harmony vocals, somehow they've just disappeared. Might be able to do a quick mix at 3am when I get home to solve this, as it should still be Thursday in US time. Not massively worried about it though.

My intention was to have the shaker sound more like a record after the tracks have finished, the needle still down, that kind of scratchy old noise. Edit the guitars out, just leave the vocal in.

Would have liked to have automated more of a build as well, but I'll more than likely be making do with something I think is just 'ok'. For a job, I'd use this mix as a starting point I think.#

All that said, I definitely welcome criticism with none of the above in mind  Cool

Daniel Farris

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »

So... what's with the *really* obvious editing out of the silence between vocal lines?

I've heard that on several mixes.

It's bothering me.

DF

rankus

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »

I started out with the intention of using no effects, no eq, no compression ... keeping it "faders and pan only" mix.  But in the end I had to use a touch of low shelving eq to clean some mud... but other than that mine is "faders only" mix  

The mix leans left a tad and I did not adhere to the "Cardinal Points" panning... this was a rare case for me where things sounded better with unusual panning.

You may also note I did not use about 60% of the tracks... they were simply getting in the way of a great song IMO.

Great song!

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Firefly

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 02:05:07 PM »

To save somebody the trouble of explaining the MS thing:

http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_front_center/

found the stuff about how it could be used in mastering to control the stereo field really interesting!

martthie_08

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »

put up my first IMP submission, again, really nice tune! It isn't easy to mix a project where you don't get some clues from the band or producer, or at least know what they are after. This mix could have been done in many, many ways, some of which I am sure I will listen through when I find the time the next couple of days. Looking forward to that Smile

Greg Thompson

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »

Just listened to everybody else's submissions plus mine up to this point.  I think mine wins for the "wettest" mix.

Overall after listening to everybody elses, and then hearing mine I think "damn, I got the vocals and main AGT too loud"
And I turned the lead vocal down before printing!

Greg

Greg Thompson

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »

Yours sounds like a "remix".  It's great!
I would hazard to say that you might get some wildly differing opinions when you play it for the band.  Half would hate it, half would love it.  The band would break up.  It would be awesome.

ATOR wrote on Thu, 12 June 2008 18:11

The song has great vibe and character and I just let it take me to where it wanted to be.

I dropped the stereo drums, re-amped some guitars, the bass and the drums. The drums needed that to get some focus.

My mix is kinda noisy but that doesn't bother me.

Half the time I spend on this was on editing. This is a classic we'll fix it in the mix recording  Twisted Evil

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.