R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonoris (Linear Phase) Equalizer released  (Read 21822 times)

PieterS

Sonoris (Linear Phase) Equalizer released
« on: June 10, 2008, 09:30:22 AM »

I am proud to announce the release of two VST plugins for Windows and Mac OSX, the Sonoris Equalizer and Linear Phase Equalizer.

The Sonoris Equalizer is a parametric equalizer in VST and SAWStudio format and features 7 bands, including lowpass, highpass, peaking and shelving filters. The Sonoris Equalizer has a correct filter response up to the Nyquist frequency. Every band can be set up to process stereo, left, right, mid or side information. It is also possible to monitor these signals. Filters can be switched on and off without any clicks.

The internal processing uses 64 bit integer math, except for the filter code. The 64 bits signal is dithered to 32 bits. Some hosts accept the newer VST 2.4 double floats standard and in those hosts the output is 64 bits, undithered.

http://www.sonoris.nl/img/sneq22_vst.jpg

The Sonoris Linear Phase Equalizer is basically the same as the equalizer above with the same filters and features. The linear phase algorithm is based on a technique called “backward-forward filtering”. The quality of the algorithm is adjustable to suit the CPU power of the DAW and can be set to auto in compatible hosts.

http://www.sonoris.nl/img/slpq21_vst.jpg

For more information and a demo please visit:

http://www.sonoris.nl/catalog/index.php

best regards,

Pieter Stenekes

(this message was posted with permission of the moderator)
Sonoris Audio Engineering
www.sonorissoftware.com

Eliott James

Re: Sonoris (Linear Phase) Equalizer released
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:31:52 PM »

This is good news... great work, Pieter! They work and sound excellent on the Mac.

cass anawaty

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:30:47 PM »

Thanks, Pieter.  I'm going to dl the demo and try it this week.

Neon didn't quite do it for me, so I hope this does.   Very Happy

Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

bruno putzeys

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:28:04 PM »

Looks like a fine piece of work. Congrats.
PieterS wrote on Tue, 10 June 2008 15:30

The linear phase algorithm is based on a technique called “backward-forward filtering”. The quality of the algorithm is adjustable to suit the CPU power of the DAW and can be set to auto in compatible hosts.

Just out of curiosity, does that mean an IIR in the forward direction and a FIR for the backward bit, or is it more like an overlapped block thing where you run IIR filters both ways and then splice the blocks back together?
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

TotalSonic

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »

Folks -
This is simply one of the best digital eq's out there - period.  While what is "best" is definitely subjective I can say with extraordinary confidence that both the minimal phase and linear phase versions processing is without a question easily in the class of sonic quality gotten from offerings by Algorithmix and Refined Audiometrics - but the Sonoris plugs perform with greater efficiency in use of cpu - and they have to me a better and more flexible user interface - at a fifth of the price!  

In other words: highly recommended!!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

PieterS

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »

Bruno Putzeys wrote on Tue, 10 June 2008 22:28

or is it more like an overlapped block thing where you run IIR filters both ways and then splice the blocks back together?

Yes, no FIR, but IIR forward and backward. The filters have to be the same in both directions to get linear phase.
www.sonorissoftware.com

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »

What versions of Mac OS will it run on?

Only 10.4 or 10.5, or back to 10.3.9?

Is it iLok'd so it can be moved to one of several computers?

cerberus

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 11:55:40 PM »

PieterS wrote on Tue, 10 June 2008 17:06

Yes, no FIR, but IIR forward and backward. The filters have to be the same in both directions to get linear phase.

i like this filtering technique (backward is an offline process for me).
good luck with this product pieter.

jeff

PieterS

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:13:20 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 11 June 2008 03:35

What versions of Mac OS will it run on?

Only 10.4 or 10.5, or back to 10.3.9?

Is it iLok'd so it can be moved to one of several computers?

Universal binary, 10.4 and up, lower is not tested, but might work, I don't know.

There is no iLok. You are allowed to install it on more computers for a single user.
www.sonorissoftware.com

Viitalahde

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 05:52:16 AM »

EDIT: Registeration problems cleared, thank you Pieter!

It certainly looks interesting, and I'd love to have something like this if it sounds good. I've done little M/S touchups in the digital domain before and this seems like an all-in-one solution.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

dcollins

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 06:09:27 AM »

Bruno Putzeys wrote on Tue, 10 June 2008 13:28

Just out of curiosity, does that mean an IIR in the forward direction and a FIR for the backward bit, or is it more like an overlapped block thing where you run IIR filters both ways and then splice the blocks back together?

Which "way" is better?

DC

bruno putzeys

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 08:09:37 AM »

Running an IIR both ways is clearly better than combining FIR and IIR. The FIR-IIR combo would only be twice as efficient as using FIR altogether and you'd always only *approximate* linear phase. The only implementation difficulty I see with the backward forward IIR method is that one either has to do the process off-line, or break down the audio in chunks, process these and then splice them together with a sufficient overlap to allow the filters to settle fully. The lower the cut-off frequency and the higher the Q, the greater the overlap needs to be and hence the longer the chunks should be to remain efficient. As a result I would expect a fair amount of latency. OTOH the FIR method would become absolutely unwieldy under the same circumstances.

At least that's my understanding from the 5 minutes I've spent pondering the question (i.e. Pieter will know quite a bit more about this...)

Anyhow, on second thoughts I could've dropped the FIR-IIR idea myself had I given it some more time to sink in, so forget that I brought it up...
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

Matt_G

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 10:47:20 AM »

Hi Pieter,

I've got a suggestion regarding the products implementation of M/S. While it's cool to have each band able to do M or S it would also be very handy to have each band with the option of M and S together in case you wanted to process the same frequency on both the M and S channels (assuming this sounds different to just processing it as L/R?).

Also it seems a little limited that you can't have 5 bands & 2 filters available on M & S as independent controls. So when you use the monitoring section to solo the Middle it would give you use of all 5 bands & 2 filters to apply to the middle channel & when you solo the Sides it gave you another 5 bands & 2 filters to work on the stereo information. 5 bands & 2 filters to do both M & S seems a bit stingy if you need to do some real sonic surgery.

Also it would be nice to have the option to have 6db p/octave & 36db p/octave filter options to complement the 12, 24 & 48 options already available.

Very nice sound though & I've used the FxPansion VST-RTAS wrapper to port this plug into Pro Tools land. It all works well although it doesn't report the latency to the 'Auto Delay Compensation' within Pro Tools HD & I'd love to have an 'Audiosuite' version of this plug so I could do off line processing for when you just want to apply say a HPF or EQ curve over a section of audio without doing it in real time.

For the price though it's hard to complain... Just wanted to add some 'room for improvement' comments. Keep up the good work Pieter, OSX has been begging for this type of quality in a Linear Phase EQ plug-in. I don't have to wait for Algorithmix to port to OSX anymore Smile

Matt
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

mastertone

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »

These EQs are absolutely fantastic! Excellent work Pieter!
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

TotalSonic

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »

Matt_G wrote on Wed, 11 June 2008 10:47

Hi Pieter,

I've got a suggestion regarding the products implementation of M/S. While it's cool to have each band able to do M or S it would also be very handy to have each band with the option of M and S together in case you wanted to process the same frequency on both the M and S channels (assuming this sounds different to just processing it as L/R?).

What you are proposing does not sound different than just processing the band L/R.

Quote:

Also it seems a little limited that you can't have 5 bands & 2 filters available on M & S as independent controls. So when you use the monitoring section to solo the Middle it would give you use of all 5 bands & 2 filters to apply to the middle channel & when you solo the Sides it gave you another 5 bands & 2 filters to work on the stereo information. 5 bands & 2 filters to do both M & S seems a bit stingy if you need to do some real sonic surgery.

If you need more bands than the 5 + 2 already provided simply load another instance of the plugin into the track.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.