R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann U87ai or M149 for voice over booth?  (Read 4754 times)

voiceover

Neumann U87ai or M149 for voice over booth?
« on: May 31, 2004, 10:21:29 PM »

I have a home studio with an isolated sound booth.  I use an M box w/ Pro Tools LE.  I'm currently looking at upgrading my microphone from the AT 4033SE's that I have to either the Neumann U87ai, the M149, or possibly the BLUE Dragonfly.   Any thoughts?   I recently bought an Avalon 737 that I have yet to put into action.   In most of the studios I've worked with, the U87 seems to be one of the industry standards.  With the Avalon, will I notice that much of a difference with the three microphones I've mentioned as opposed to the two Audio Technica 4033's that I presently own?  Thanks! Smile

analog Tom

Re: Neumann U87ai or M149 for voice over booth?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 01:14:24 AM »

The U-87Ai is a standard in most professional studios.  The sound and behavior are familiar to both talent and production staff so they are easy to work with.  

The M-149 can be described the same way.  

While both mics are studio standards, they sound quite different.  There is no way to recommend one or the other, without knowing more about the material you propose to record, the voice you propose to record, and the space in which you propose to record.  

For most of us, and expenditure at the level of a U-87Ai or M-149 is significant enough to justify auditioning before buying.  Equipment houses which are used to dealing with professional's home studios are in the habit of making such mics available for audition before purchase (some places charge a rental charge).  

Give yourself a week of use of each, and if possible, of both together, to see which one works for your voice, in your room, on your material.  

Once you get your new mic, don't think of it as a replacement for your AT 4033s, but rather as an addition to them.  Now you have a three mic cabinet.  Don't forget the 4033s when you have a need for which they are better than either the U-87Ai or the M-149.  

Cordially,  
Tom

voiceover

Re: Neumann U87ai or M149 for voice over booth?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 07:22:28 AM »

Tom, THANK you very much for the excellent and useful input.  I plan on researching some places today to see if I can indeed audition the microphones in question.

Just to let you know, I have a 4 by 8 isolated booth with wall to wall to ceiling acoustic foam.   I use my studio for corporate narration projects along with radio spots.   My voice has an 'everyman' type of tonal quality.  Not the voice of god or raspy, but more of the average guy or straight forward type of corporate guy with 'friendly authoritativeness'.

I will take your advice about keeping the 4033's.  I do love the way they sound anyway.  Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.