Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaks  (Read 4413 times)

aivoryuk

Breaks
« on: June 07, 2008, 08:50:45 AM »

How often do you take them in a session??

It's normally said that if staring at a computer screen all day or playing computer games you should have regular breaks to give your eyes a break

can the same said about giving your ears a break?

Attended sessions I suppose would be quite difficult but just interested to  see what people approaches in general are.

Thomas W. Bethel

Re: Breaks
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 09:07:19 AM »

I can go about four hours without needing a break.

If it is an attended session I ask the client if he or she would like something to drink or to stretch their legs a bit and I take a small break while they are doing their "thing" I also use this time to go to the restroom and check with my associate as to upcoming projects or phone calls. It usually lasts no more than 5 minutes and I tell them up front that they are not being charged for this time.

The longest one day session on record was 13 hours and that was a marathon with time out for lunch and dinner. The latest I have ever done mastering was until 4 am for a client that could not come during normal work hours.

You do have to take a break once in a while if only to go to the restroom or to move around so your legs don't get blood clots http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940CE4D9173DF 934A25751C1A9649C8B63&fta=y

-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »

I find that taking breaks not only combats ear fatigue, but it also allows you to regularly 'refocus' what you are hearing. I typically take a 5 (or so) minute break before final load in of each track (post processing) to make sure that I give it one fresh listen before capturing...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Bob Boyd

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 11:41:26 AM »

Yeah, I'd guess I take a couple of short breaks - usually just to grab or refill a beverage, anything to walk around - per hour.  It can really help keep you fresh.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Viitalahde

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 11:45:22 AM »

That's something I need to practice on.. If the client is present, I can go on for two hours without a break, but I do keep'em when I really need it.

When I'm alone, I might take a short one after each track, depends on the mood.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

cass anawaty

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »

Viitalahde wrote on Sat, 07 June 2008 16:45

That's something I need to practice on.. If the client is present, I can go on for two hours without a break, but I do keep'em when I really need it.

When I'm alone, I might take a short one after each track, depends on the mood.

Same here.
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Greg Youngman

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »

For me, it depends on the momentum of the session.  I can do a 9 hour day with a couple of pee breaks... especially if I know the pace of the client.  I keep a couple of granola bars and water close by to get through the day.  Unless I really need one, I let the clients call the breaks.

I recently had a book-on-CD VO session with a 90 year old well-known actor.  I initially was not looking forward to the session until it started.  This guy was incredible (a hard-working   true gentleman and professional)!  Very little chit-chat.  No BS.  We did a 240 page book in 10.75 hours.  This was two sessions, the first being 8 straight with one pee break.  When I'm working with talent like this, I don't need breaks because the time seems to go so fast.  
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

jdg

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 12:53:07 PM »

rest early, rest often.

john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

crna59

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 01:30:30 PM »

Yeah, for an unattended session, my wife always tells me I get that "focus focus" thing. The next think I know, it's either dinner time or bed time.

I live off of Mt. Dew and chocolate!!

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

mastertone

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »

Pretty much same as Brad, it just keeps me focused more.
Ca 5 min per song is a good rule of thumb for me.
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

Adam Dempsey

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 12:03:36 AM »

aivoryuk wrote on Sat, 07 June 2008 22:50

It's normally said that if staring at a computer screen all day or playing computer games you should have regular breaks to give your eyes a break

If you have a window, focusing off into the distance (if you have that, too) is great exercise for them. Perhaps the visual equivalent of listening into the detail of a mix..? Apparently gazing a bit at blue sky, due to its wavelength, is also of benefit.. I gather it's a natural "daily intake" thing.

Quote:

can the same said about giving your ears a break?

Yes, most definitely. Even, for example, at a ref 80/85dBSPL monitoring level.

Quote:

Attended sessions I suppose would be quite difficult but just interested to see what people approaches in general are.

Usually a simple, friendly "how about a short break/tea/coffee?". For a lunch break I might give the client(s) 1/2 hr extra time than myself, to give me time for emails/calls/other admin, etc.
Adam Dempsey
Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Add presence, or subtract absence?

Oldfart

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 07 June 2008 09:31

I find that taking breaks not only combats ear fatigue, but it also allows you to regularly 'refocus' what you are hearing. I typically take a 5 (or so) minute break before final load in of each track (post processing) to make sure that I give it one fresh listen before capturing...

Works well for me too.

Oldfart
Denis Paquette
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 16 queries.