R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bargain hunting  (Read 6734 times)

Fibes

Re: Bargain hunting
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »

tom eaton wrote on Wed, 11 June 2008 08:05

Hi Harvey-

Yes, I think being polite and friendly is a far better way to negotiate.

Personally, I've never done discount or block rates of any kind at the studio, and it's been fine.  As soon as someone tries to talk me down I feel that they are telling me that I'm not worth my asking price... which is a VERY cheap asking price all things being considered.  It's impossible for me not to take it personally, even though haggling is ingrained in the consumer mentality.

-tom

Once again Tom we're on the same page but with Pawn Shops they WAY UNDERPAY for items and usually WAY mark them up. I used to know the codes to a local pawn shop which told me what they paid for stuff by looking at the code on the tag.

Pawn Shop paid: 65 dollars

Listed at: 275 dollars

Would sell on Ebay: 225 dollars

I'd offer 165 dollars.

yep.

60%

And they'd call me when stuff came in because occasionally i would inform them they "had something" in an item (which i wasn't interested in) that they were actually WAY UNDERPRICED on. It's all about the relationship.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 12:54:29 PM »

So lying is the answer?   Acting like this or that.  What peice of gear is worth that?

Be ready to lose the deal don't offer more than you want to.  Seems more simple than creating elaborate schemes.

j

hargerst

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Sat, 12 July 2008 11:54

So lying is the answer?   Acting like this or that.  What peice of gear is worth that?

Be ready to lose the deal don't offer more than you want to.  Seems more simple than creating elaborate schemes.

j

Not sure I understand your statement.  Lying to whom, about what? It's really the art of negotiation.  If you act like you really want it, the price will stay firm.  Knowing what to offer, how, and when, is all an art form.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

tom eaton

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 10:38:29 PM »

When I buy something expensive retail (recently a washer and dryer for example), the first question is always whether the salesperson works on commission.  From there you balance what you need with a respect for the person you're dealing with.  It's the way I'd want to be dealt with.  

I buy almost all my audio gear wholesale, and the person I use gets a base and commission.  I have never in 15 years asked him to lower a quoted price...

Pawn shops aren't much different... understanding where the PERSON you are dealing with is coming from is way more important and beneficial (to me and in my experience) than playing head games.

My dad still does retail sales... I hope I never ever have to do it again.

tom

Les Ismore

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »

I remember fondly days gone by when pawn shops didn't know the actual values of things. These days they are a place to pay double the value.
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.