R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Do My Recordings/Mixes Suck?  (Read 6783 times)

Tim Gilles

Re: Why Do My Recordings/Mixes Suck?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2004, 02:37:00 PM »

Nodes - Schmodes. [Daffy Duck Voice].

Is that all you got?

That graph?

LMFBO.

Whatever.

My opinion stands.

Adapt and overcome.

It's "pick yer poison".

You take the room.

Gimmie the gear.

Rumblefish.

gtoledo3

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 03:14:48 PM »

Not to underestimate the benefit of a good sounding room, but...

Most people have spent the vast majority of their listening time in untreated rooms, with wildly differing responses. Even when talking about properly treated rooms, there are vast differences from one to another.

Who spent their adolescence/adulthood listening to Led Zeppelin II in an anechoic chamber? Not me.

Any engineer worth their salt is going to put on their reference cd's, and be able to adjust to that room. Their may be a period of "cognitive dissonance", but the subconcious/concious mind and ears have a great ability to adapt.

Invisible Member

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 04:12:19 PM »

Tim Gilles wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 11:37

Is that all you got?

That graph?

LMFBO.

Whatever.

My opinion stands.

Adapt and overcome.

It's "pick yer poison".

You take the room.

Gimmie the gear.

Rumblefish.

Ya might also add to the discussion the individuality of the human response chart. No ear is flat. Plus drummers Smile are often deaf as bat in a fish tank to boot. And the results speak for themselves don't they?  There is no such thing as "all things being equal" in the recording industry.  

Even if in a perfect room with a gearsluts wetdream for a gearlist, if you can't learn the monitors your worthless.

Alrighty then.    Maybe we can prove it...

You find a crappy room and load it with a 60 series Neve and gobs of high end gear and jam it full into a untreated garage. Pick a band and record them. Then you do the same band on Mackie rig (8bus and HDR) with mid level pre's from presonus, Behringer or whatever etc... and see who's results stand.

I got the garage, who bringing the Neve and stuff:)

Peace,
Dennis

Buzz

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 05:38:16 PM »

Blood from what I've read in this post your biggest improvement would be your MONITORS , I used to use the Alesis M1's then upgraded to Tannoy system 800a's and the difference is HUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , I havent worked on my room as Ethan suggests but he is right about getting the best sounding room possible ( why would most studio's spend $$$$$$$$ on room's for the past 30 years if it didnt work ??? )

Anyhow Harvey is a great source for mic info I've learned ton;s from him

Later
Buzz

bloodstone

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 06:20:26 PM »

Buzz wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 22:38

Blood from what I've read in this post your biggest improvement would be your MONITORS , I used to use the Alesis M1's then upgraded to Tannoy system 800a's and the difference is HUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , I havent worked on my room as Ethan suggests but he is right about getting the best sounding room possible ( why would most studio's spend $$$$$$$$ on room's for the past 30 years if it didnt work ??? )

Anyhow Harvey is a great source for mic info I've learned ton;s from him

Later
Buzz

Perhaps you are correct, yet that doesn't acount for the huge discrepancy in what I hear when I monitor Mix A of the Ghost (Sounds pretty damn good and I'd be satisfied if that's what printed)to what I hear when I monitor the analog output of the DAT (sounds small and crappy). I appreciate your feedback and will consider your comments.  Something tells me I need better A/D, mix in 24 bit to a PC or Mac,  or a 1/2" 2 track, though.

Han S.

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 07:45:51 PM »

Tim Gilles wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 19:37

You take the room.

Gimmie the gear.

Rumblefish.

Tim, I do have a darkbrown feeling I know you.
How are you my good old brother in arms?
Mmmmm? think Dutch...... a 'rock solid engineer' from North Europe and the C1000 bashing.

Thanks for the support a while back bro!

Ethan Winer

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2004, 11:13:10 AM »

Buzz,

> why would most studio's spend $$$$$$$$ on room's for the past 30 years if it didnt work ??? <

Bingo.

--Ethan

Buzz

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2004, 04:04:27 PM »

Blood obviously the DAT is the problem ( 20 bit etc. ) I would find a good 2 track or a good sound card for your mix/mastering.
Later
Buzz
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 17 queries.