R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tell me this is ridiculous  (Read 7366 times)

moogus

Re: Tell me this is ridiculous
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2004, 12:28:43 PM »

This has gotten me thinking...

I usually mix to 1/4" tape, and most of the projects I do arent taken (at least straight away) to a mastering engineer, so I do the transfer back to digital, from tape.

My question is slightly less relevant now record back at 24/96 but Id still like to know what yall think.

How should I optimise the level coming back into the computer from tape?  If I set the interface's intputs to -10, I get level that is roughly the same as a normally loud cd.  But of course its clipping the A-D all the time.

If I set the inputs to +4 I get no clipping but then have to apply 10db or more of gain (usually with L2) to get to normal cd levels again.

The usual 'trust your ears' advice aside, what do you think is the best way to go?

M
This supports my pet theory that weird, purple jellyfish are behind everything peculiar that ever happens anywhere.

Ed Littman

Re: Tell me this is ridiculous
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2004, 02:43:29 PM »

It depends on howmuch processing you plan to apply after conversion.
If i were you, I'd get the mix exactly the way you want it processing & all before mixing to 1/4".
Then transfer the mix tape at close to your final level at 24/44.1 through your adc(or clip the adc if your looking for loud). Once your tape mix is a 24/44.1 file you can get away with furthure processing if needed or just dither down to 16bits & your done.
Ed
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.