R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Does This Make Sense?  (Read 8588 times)

e_shaun

Re: Does This Make Sense?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 02:34:22 PM »

duaneadam wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 11:49

http://theoutboardrack.com/The second misconception is that processing is being done with a blindfold on. It isn

Ronny

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 04:59:11 AM »

e_shaun wrote on Thu, 03 June 2004 14:34

duaneadam wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 11:49

http://theoutboardrack.com/The second misconception is that processing is being done with a blindfold on. It isn
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

duaneadam

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 12:51:43 PM »

Yeah I get how I'm being perceived here. Rich kid who knows nothing buys a shitload of gear and doesn't know how to use it.

Sorry, wrong.

I have been the audio problem solver around various studios dating back to the late 70's when I worked on my first MCI board with a 2" 24 track deck. When I got my degree in music I was not only transcribing difficult compositions for my own assignments but also for professors. That includes  transcribing (and performing) the entire Giant Steps album by John Coltrane and that means every 64th note slur of every sax solo. Before anyone else preaches about ears, take out a piece of staff paper and start writing some of that shit down.

Furthermore, you won't find me apologizing for our gear selection. That collection took four years of ball busting sweat to put together. I paid for each component, one piece at a time with a lot of sacrifices by my very supportive wife who shares my vision. How dare anyone assume because we have it, that it was easy to acquire, or that we have too much money.

As far as the ears not gear philosophy, well we all know that one isn't true don't we. While the ability to understand what a composition needs is key, and while no mastering engineer can thrive without the keenest of ears, the magic happens by executing that which needs to be done and, great equipment  typically does the best job. Its great ears plus great gear for best results and we all know it.

I didn't bring my site to this forum, that was done by others. I wouldn't have as my venture is a work in process not a finished project as we are still carving our best fit. No harm done, the criticism has actually been helpful. But I guarantee that for every negative poster, there are three readers who are now pondering a new way to do something. Be one of them, not one of those who say "it can't be done".

Retiring from this thread.

Duaneadam
theoutboardrack.com

Mixerman

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 01:49:02 PM »

duaneadam wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 09:51

To Mixerman

Thank you for the visionary implication.

That's sarcasm at it's worst. I think you're as visionary as a bat in a blizzard.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
Now available! The Daily Adventures of Mixerman & Zen and the Art of Mixing!

Mixerman.net
The Womb Forums
Facebook Page
Mixerman Radio Show

Level

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 10:23:18 PM »

Lets look at the facts..

DCollins points out an interesting site.

Expounding happens.

Duane defends his position.

I first thought this was major spamola until I rechecked that DCollins actually posted the first post.

My thoughts are this:

It is a wonderful idea...But, the web is slammed full of ideas.

If (?!?) you can create a virtual camera/knob control/rent by the hour..then you will have something. I can move webcams, around the world with my mouse...why could I not have the ability to be proactive with some motorized controls and commands and a live camera on my second puter and rent the virtual equipment?

The point is, I want to move the knobs. I am the engineer. I am certain you can come somewhat close to my wishes but I would like to do it in real time. Figure that one out (can be done) and I will give it a whirl...although I do have some of the same gear and a dash 48 at my disposal plus a fat board..but I may want to try somke different pieces I do not own..

I see that technology geared to the 'would be' purchaser of a piece of equipment...not unlike a try before buy plug in.

As far as your senerio, I would have to add more engineering credits to my project and I'd rather not do that if I don't have to. I can lease or rent the real thing pretty inexpensively if need be. I can even drop by a few of my buddys large facilities with said equipment for a trade out mixdown/mastering session and use whatever I please as well and actually enjoy BEING with them...and dining later and bar hopping.

Get me a beer dispenser on my tower, 3 virtual bar girls screens and a nasty DVD...and I guess we could actually just keep our ass glued in the studio chair..(I sit here way too long as is)
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Ronny

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2004, 01:55:48 AM »

Back to Duane. I see that he's left the thread, but I'd like to point out why people were under the impression that he was a rich kid, that just bought a lot of gear. Maybe MM will relay this message. It's because of his opening statements "A Silicon Valley Company". DC's spot on, the focus should be on the engineers, but the header of Duane's post was on silicon valley company, where the rest of the world thinks that everyone with that addy drives a Porcshe and became millionaires over night. That's the notion that is conjured up when Silicon Valley is mentioned. It is not noted for the hit records coming out of there. I wish him all of the luck in the world, but it's similiar to BK's Mix Doctor program and although these are good ideas, I just don't think that the project and home recordists are going to support this type of venture with a lot of revenue. Most are into doing every thing themselves these days and it's not the people with good ears that are going to take advantage of a program like this, they've already got the gear, it's the part time engineers and home recording hobbyist's market that would likely serve him better. I suggest interfacing with the Roland, Korg, Akai and Yamaha all-in-one recorder groups.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------