R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Studio walls  (Read 2435 times)

John Ivan

New Studio walls
« on: May 30, 2004, 06:18:30 PM »

Hi all;

I'm going out to play some shows and when I get back,we finally will start knocking down some walls. I'm building all my new walls out of 2x6 plates and tops with staggered 2x4 studs. What have you folks found to be the best thing to use to seal the walls? most of these walls will be air tight. Any suggestions would be great.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Larrye

Re: New Studio walls
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 03:27:45 PM »

Ivan,
I would not worry as much about being air tight as I would decoupling the dry wall from the studs. Hang the drywall using resilient channel.  It really helps.  I used it on both walls and ceiling.
As soon as you can drop by I will show you what I am talking about.
Larrye

floodstage

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 11:52:19 PM »

To seal the joint between floor and drywall?

Caulk.  

Lots of Caulk.

Hang the drywall so it starts 1/4" off the floor and caulk the joint.  Works with floating or non floating floors fine.

I suggest clear acrylic latex - 25 (or more) year quality.  Buy it by the case.

John Ivan

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 12:12:50 AM »

Thanks for the replies Guy's I've been busy getting ready to split for a while and Getting in a nasty argument with a dweeb. :-}

I am thinking I will use 2 layers of 5/8" dry wall. I am also thinking I will seal the plates and the tops of each wall. Air tight is very important indeed but so is decoupling as stated.By the case is right to. There are a bunch of walls.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

floodstage

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 04:05:55 PM »

If you have 2 layers of drywall and tape and bed both layers in the corners, you won't have to caulk the ceiling or corner joints, just the floor joints and around doors, windows, and outlets.  

Don't forget to stagger the drywall so the joints on the first layer don't line up with the joints on the second layer.  (Obviously, the joints will line up in the corners, but none of the other joints should be on top of each other - vertical or horizontal.)

If you are starting a project, why not start a thread and post pic's as you go.  I love watching construction progress.  Even better when someone else is doing the hard work!

Toby M

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 06:18:05 AM »

There's a great book Phillip Newell "recording spaces" Not to much maths,a lot of examples of rooms and walls using common builing supplies and some great additive information as the recording of "when the leevee breaks by Led zeppelin" Phillip Newell worked fro Virgin and set up Manor studios and Manor mobile. A great read, i wish i was paid for writing that:) Toby
www.cascatoma.com
Smiles can be heard !

dpasch

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 03:09:21 PM »

"I am thinking I will use 2 layers of 5/8" dry wall."

I would suggest a layer of two different materials.
mayby MDF and dry wall.
Also, I would glue the layers together. I would roll the glue on and then hang the drywall with a couple screws across the top. remove the screws once the glue is dry.
A great advantage here is that you can also hang things anywhere you would like. This came in super handy when I was hanging the absorbers that Ethan has on his site.

My walls are quite effective and I used the same 2x6 framing method as you, with OSB/tarboard/drywall on one side and drywall/osb/drywall on the other.

Either way I am sure you are building a great wall!

David Pasch

John Ivan

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 02:17:18 AM »

Thanx for the replies folks. Useing two different types of board is a great idea. So is stagering the joints.

I'm not at home much these days as my new touring gig has me out a lot. I flew to Dallas from Detroit for a show at The Taste Of Dallas tomorrow {Sunday the 11th.} Come on down If any one is in Dallas. We go on at 7:30 P.M.

Thanks again.Ivan...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 16 queries.