R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ghost inputs distorting, even on full attenuation....?  (Read 1960 times)

sadworld

ghost inputs distorting, even on full attenuation....?
« on: June 13, 2004, 07:33:18 PM »

i'm splitting the signal out of my outboard pre's and sending one directly to the converters and the other one to my soundcraft ghost for monitoring.  when the level is set just right for the converters, it is distorting the inputs on my board, even with full attenuation set on the board.  how do i avoid this? thanks.

Peter Simonsen

Re: ghost inputs distorting, even on full attenuation....?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 08:13:03 AM »

sadworld wrote on Mon, 14 June 2004 00:33

i'm splitting the signal out of my outboard pre's and sending one directly to the converters and the other one to my soundcraft ghost for monitoring.  when the level is set just right for the converters, it is distorting the inputs on my board, even with full attenuation set on the board.  how do i avoid this? thanks.

Hmmm...sounds to me like you may have some serious trouble with "gain matching"..Im sorry if this sounds too obvious, but you are not connecting the output from your converters/outboard pres to the XLR-inputs of your console are you..??? If this is not the case..you have to set/calibrate the overall gain structure for your system...from the mic inputs > `verters > outputs.. I have been running a setup like that for years without overload problems..so it can be done...unless something is wrong with the mixing board ???

Kind regards

Peter
http://www.psl-design.dk

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.>>Søren kirkegaard>
>>Its not a dream Peter is real<<

sadworld

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 04:55:34 PM »

i'm going line in from my chandler tg2(the other is split off to go to the converters) now when i use my vintech x73i i don't need to split, it has two out.... one trs to the converters and the other xlr to the xlr in on the board, i use it THEN.

could you reword your response, i was a little confused. thanks, matt.

tom eaton

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »

You can't run a line level into the XLR jack on the Ghost...you have to use the 1/4" TRS jack to get into the board at line level and get the spec'ed +34 clip level.  The XLR inputs, whether you're using them for line or mic level, clip at +14.

-tom

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 09:16:10 PM »

It sounds to me like your "perfect level" into the converts might be a little hot, too.  If you're at 24 bit, then you don't need to record everything at +15, or more, out of your Vintech.  It will sound better if you come out closer to 0VU than 0dbFS.

Try it sometime.  You might be surprised.

Steve

Peter Simonsen

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 03:27:46 AM »

sadworld wrote on Mon, 14 June 2004 21:55

i'm going line in from my chandler tg2(the other is split off to go to the converters) now when i use my vintech x73i i don't need to split, it has two out.... one trs to the converters and the other xlr to the xlr in on the board, i use it THEN.

could you reword your response, i was a little confused. thanks, matt.

Hi Sadworld,

As I was thinking..!!! You cant use the XLR inputs in the Ghost. In doing so you are driving line level into yet another set of mic-preamps, thats why you have the overload. As Tom poitet out you have to use the jack-line inputs Wink

Then everything should be just fine..

Kind regards

Peter
http://www.psl-design.dk

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.>>Søren kirkegaard>
>>Its not a dream Peter is real<<

Greg Dixon

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 06:08:43 AM »

On the Ghost, you can also use the tape monitor returns. They might have even more headroom, for line level signals.

tom eaton

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 08:53:14 AM »

There is no headroom spec that I can find for the tape returns.  The +34dBu max input on the line level inputs (TRS) will be more than enough for just about anything.

-tom
http://www.thomaseaton.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.