R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr. Fix-it... snare drum mic placement ??  (Read 6830 times)

Jim Dugger

Re: Mr. Fix-it... snare drum mic placement ??
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 01:30:45 PM »

josh wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 08:38

Regarding crappy drummers, this is not the problem, and it's a moot point anyway since the next year's worth of drum sessions for me will be the same drummer.

I'm sorry -- my reply was really directed at the thread in general not specifically your original post.  I re-read my post and could see where it might leave a negative impression I didn't intend.

Those sound like good drums... I'm a little nervous about the 12" being a bit choked up, especially at 6" deep.  Head selection is going to make a big difference.

I'm very fond of Fiberskin heads on wood drums.  Good, rich, dry tone.  They don't last though.

The Aquarian Hi-Energy head isn't the most sensitive in the world, but it's great for a heavy hitter and (I think) has the best "crack" tone around.  Their Satin Finish medium weight is also excellent on snare, but is easy to "play through" and wear out.

Just out of curiousity, if the overheads sound good, and the snare itself sounds good, then what are you using for a mic and pre on the snare to fill in with?  I like API and Millennia HV on snare with 57, 421 or condenser though the latter can be incredibly hot.

josh

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 02:04:33 PM »

Buying heads today.  Probably will go with either an ambassador coated for the 12" drum or Aquarian Satin Finish.  I'd rather get Remo Renaissance head for that and also for the 13", but finding them locally is the problem.

The 12" drum does not hold up when you wail on it.  It's good for softer, more dynamically sensitive music.  You can't dig in too hard, but it's very melodic.  Folk, acoustic pop, etc.

As far as mics, my favorite is one of my Oktava MK-219s and I've tried several others.  Don't like 57/58 type mics at all on snare drum.  Too much "boink", too much crack, not enough body, I think it's the "presence peak" of a typical dyno mic that I don't dig.  I think it's the warm-detailed sound of the Oktava mics I like.  They're a rare case of a dark sounding condenser.  I think I'll manage to get it right this weekend.  If the snare tone comes together I'll be tracking Sat.

josh

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 08:56:30 AM »

Pricey wrote on Fri, 28 May 2004 04:52

Hmmmm. I would describe the 219/319 as midrangey for a condenser. The presence peak is somewhere around 5k instead of 12k. It makes a great snare mic because it's like an SM57 without the mud.

The 5K resonance is not a "presence peak" but caused by the grille design.  Cutting out the grille (cast alu parts) and refitting with just the mesh grille opens up the midrange quite a bit, eliminates this boxiness altogether.  Both of mine are modified in this way.

The other "presence peak" is more like 10K and it's caused by the little plastic disks on the mic diaphragms.  Remove these and the "SM57 sound" peak goes away, leaving a dark-sounding, yet detailed condenser mic.  One of mine is modified this way.

brandondrury

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2004, 01:30:34 AM »

Well,

I just got home from a long session of recording a great drummer with a great drum set.  He knew how to tune his drums perfectly and he had the most balanced playing I've ever scene.  All this was for a hard rock band!

The guitar player who's spent some time in the studio told me I did a great job on the drum sound.  I told him I didn't do anything...he did (pointing to the drummer).

If only all projects were this easy.  I must enjoy it until next weekend when who knows what sort of shit I'll have to deal with in the drum department.

Brandon
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.