R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: samp/sequoia workflow question  (Read 2152 times)

hnewman

samp/sequoia workflow question
« on: June 14, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »

I know this might be more appropriate for the Magix board, or perhaps even a sitdown with the manual, but I want to know what strategies people use here, as I gather there are several ways to skin this fish;

When compelled to retouch a song and fly it into an existing CD layout, how do you reintroduce it into the sequence?  Are you manually lining it up and redrawing your fades?   This is starting from an analog transfer, where the file start and end might not be identical (for digital transfers I used to just change file names so that the program would use the new WAV).  

I can't help but think there are easier ways to do this than sheer elbow grease.

cass anawaty

Re: samp/sequoia workflow question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 02:42:45 PM »

I don't know of a better way.  
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Viitalahde

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 02:45:38 PM »

That's exactly how it's done. And rememebr to lock your objects in the place or something will move around when inserting the new object..
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

OTR-jkl

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 03:31:18 PM »

If you've already done your in/out fades for that song, I'd tackle it this way:
- Name the new capture xxx_v2 or similar
- Copy the original VIP object to a new track directly below the first track (Ctrl+Shift drag - Ctrl copies, Shift maintains timing placement)
- Replace the audio in the object in Track 1 with the newly captured audio (use Object Editor)
- Realign the audio in the object in Track 1 with the audio in the copied object using the copied object as your guide
- Adjust the edges of the object in Track 1 to match the edges on the copied object (use snap function)

If your playback source for processing is your DAW, you should get the same result from processing as long as you start from the same point in time every take. That's my experience anyway....
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »

I do it just as you described, Harris. Takes about 30 seconds, maybe, once the track is loaded...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

hnewman

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 04:54:26 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.  There are some pretty deep features in Sequoia that I have not gotten into yet, I was hoping there was a way to copy & paste object fades.  It's true that it only takes 30 seconds, but it is one of those places that is easy to screw up, or at least make a mess of things downstream.   I find that even if I am careful, once in every 20 tries or so something pushes the track indexes out of place. even when I think I have things locked properly.

One of these days I'm going to sit down and really wrap my head around all the details of the crossfade editor.  I'm just so used to doing these things manually, old habits die hard.  

cass anawaty

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »

What version of Sequoia are you using?  I think V10 has some abilities along the lines of object volume curves, but I just got it and haven't had a chance to explore.

If I figure it out I'll let you know.
Sunbreak Music, LLC
www.sunbreakmusic.com

hnewman

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 11:18:20 AM »

I've just upgraded to 10 and also have yet to really get into the nuts and bolts of it.  I was using Samplitude 9 until recently, that is what most of my knowledge and habits are based on.

Andy Krehm

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 11:43:41 AM »

hnewman wrote on Sun, 15 June 2008 11:18

I've just upgraded to 10 and also have yet to really get into the nuts and bolts of it.  I was using Samplitude 9 until recently, that is what most of my knowledge and habits are based on.

Hey Harris:

Why did you switch from Samplitude to Sequoia?

cass anawaty

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 11:43:41 AM »

hnewman wrote on Sun, 15 June 2008 16:18

One of the reasons I upgraded (no, not Ammunition Mr. Scrip) was because of the ability (so I hear) of individual volume envelopes per object.  I'm guessing that there is a way to copy those, I just don't know yet.

That sort of functionality would be in both Sequoia and Samp, so I'd start looking along those lines.
Sunbreak Music, LLC
www.sunbreakmusic.com

hnewman

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 04:55:01 PM »

Cass Anawaty wrote on Sun, 15 June 2008 11:43

One of the reasons I upgraded (no, not Ammunition Mr. Scrip) was because of the ability (so I hear) of individual volume envelopes per object.  I'm guessing that there is a way to copy those, I just don't know yet.

That would be great, the way hand-drawn volume curves are in handled in this program is far and away the thing I like the least about it.  I came from an environment where the volume curves always stayed associated with the object, under all circumstances.

Andy, I think Samplitude is totally 100% solid for mastering.  I upgraded because of occasional DDPi requests, curiosity about the improved dither handling (which is in Samp 10 too), and because I got a good deal on Sequoia.  It does have a more sophisticated fade editor, which is nice, but I never had problems with Samp's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.