R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lazy man's search...sort of  (Read 2256 times)

Adam The Truck Driver

Lazy man's search...sort of
« on: May 28, 2008, 03:50:36 PM »

I had considered...oh I'm trying to put together a studio...I had considered getting 16 channels or so of high dollar outboard micpres to front end my DAW, but I change my mind. I'd be needing a good summing box anyway so why not go for a nice analog console for front end and summing and monitoring and all that fun stuff.

Choices as far as I can tell would be a Soundcraft Ghost LE, or Toft ATB. I've seen the ATB get recomended before. Is it a better board than the Ghost? Both compare in price for the 32 channel models anyways. For what I was looking to budget...I know...for the price of 16 racked channels of just preamps I could almost have one of these consoles.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

marcel

Re: Lazy man's search...sort of
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »

I have an older (late 80s) Soundcraft Delta, modded by Jim Willams at Audio Upgrades (he is on these forums).  It does both preamplifier (of which I also have some outboard) and summing box duties very well in my rig, along with having very usable EQs and decent enough routing.

I am quite happy with it.  They are available quite cheaply, making spending some $ to have them reconditioned / modded a reasonable venture.
Best, Marcel

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »

Alrighty then...thanks a bunch.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »

FWIW, I'll second Marcel's recommendation. A Delta 200 is a great investment. Decent pre's and EQ stock, I'm sure even better with Jim's upgrades. They're also readily available for spares, and since they are modular in design are very servicable. I would not trade mine even up for a Ghost for that reason alone.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.