R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: THX certification?  (Read 4165 times)

Samc

THX certification?
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:21:53 PM »

Apart from its marketing value, what's does it bring to the table?
Sam Clayton

cass anawaty

Re: THX certification?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:39:59 PM »

Samc wrote on Fri, 30 May 2008 02:21

Apart from its marketing value, what's does it bring to the table?

I'm not sure I understand your question--what value is any of it to a mastering engineer/facility?

Or do you mean should you be purchasing items that are "THX certified"?  I don't pay much attention--I mean, Mackie monitors are "THX certified"......

My basic understanding is that it's just a certification based on certain specs, designed to ensure proper playback across theaters.  Maybe post-production folks have a use for the title?
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

crna59

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:30:54 PM »

Unless you're doing Post and building a dub stage, it has no significance in a mastering facility.

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

Samc

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 12:29:43 PM »

crna59 wrote on Fri, 30 May 2008 04:30

Unless you're doing Post and building a dub stage, it has no significance in a mastering facility.

Regards,
Bruce

Good speakers are good speakers regardless of use...no? It just seems that THX takes already established scientific specs, rename them, and claim them as their own.  
Sam Clayton

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »

Samc wrote on Sat, 31 May 2008 11:29

Regards,
Bruce

Good speakers are good speakers regardless of use...no? It just seems that THX takes already established scientific specs, rename them, and claim them as their own.  

The problem is that THX certification means a speaker meets minimum requirements for THX certification only - it really has no bearing on overall sound quality...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:56:19 PM »

THX Certification, mainly marketing appeal to prospective home theater buyers and subsequent bragging rights.

"Dude of course my new home theater is THX Certified, isn't  yours(?)"

"No, I went for the new Bose virtual surround system instead!"

from Wikipedia:

THX was developed by Tomlinson Holman at George Lucas's company Lucasfilm in 1982 to ensure that the soundtrack for the third Star Wars film, Return of the Jedi, would be accurately reproduced in the best venues.

That said, our surround amplifier, a Lexicon branded Bryston 9BST is actually THX Certified : - )

Best - JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

e-cue

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 02:35:18 AM »

Regards,
Bruce

Most professional ME's would pride themselves on specs beyond what THX puts out there, so I'd pretty much agree.

Samc wrote on Sat, 31 May 2008 09:29

My understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that a studio's THX certification goes beyond buying equipment that's pre-certified.  That is to say, any speakers or components in your studio could met their specs.  I also thought they checked things that have very little to do with audio such as how wide your air conditioning ducts are to make sure the AC isn't adding unwanted noise floor to your room.  

I tried checking THX's site for info on that, but their server seems to be down at this time.  Anyone care to chime in that knows more info?
http://www.miamimusicstory.com/wp-content/ani_cone.gif

dcollins

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 04:36:57 AM »

e-cue wrote on Sat, 31 May 2008 23:35

I tried checking THX's site for info on that, but their server seems to be down at this time.  Anyone care to chime in that knows more info?

K.K. Proffitt and/or Tom Hambleton may have something.

DC

Samc

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »

e-cue wrote on Sun, 01 June 2008 07:35

My understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that a studio's THX certification goes beyond buying equipment that's pre-certified.  That is to say, any speakers or components in your studio could met their specs.  I also thought they checked things that have very little to do with audio such as how wide your air conditioning ducts are to make sure the AC isn't adding unwanted noise floor to your room.

I know what THX (the company) does, I just don't understand why what they do have become so important in some circles.  I mean; do I really need to pay somebody to tell me my AC is too loud?  shouldn't I be able to hear that for myself?.....or better yet, If I follow established studio design principles I won't have this problem.

They claim to do extensive testing of equipment and also to 'work' with, and advise equipment designers who are developing new equipment.  I have been searching to find exactly what that means, but this info is apparently 'secret'.  

Then I read stuff like this on their site and am perplexed as to its meaning: "Once you hear THX Certified sound, you have to have it."
Sam Clayton

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »

I remember a little 5.1 powered PC-sized system from Klipsch that was THX certified...  

I won't comment on what music sounded like through it...  
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

crna59

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 04:01:26 PM »

MASSIVE Mastering wrote on Sun, 01 June 2008 08:26

I remember a little 5.1 powered PC-sized system from Klipsch that was THX certified...  

Isn't there a THX cert. for cables too?  Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

Samc

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »

MASSIVE Mastering wrote on Sun, 01 June 2008 14:26

The system only sounded bad because the rest of the chain was not also THX certified........
Sam Clayton

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 04:48:38 PM »

Really nothing but marketing of the same '70s room tuning technology that turned a generation of pop music mixers into confirmed NS-10 fans.

minister

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 04:39:25 PM »

dcollins wrote on Sun, 01 June 2008 03:36

e-cue wrote on Sat, 31 May 2008 23:35

K.K. Proffitt and/or Tom Hambleton may have something.

DC

Sorry.  Been busy...and not coming here much.  Except to make the occasional Spinal Tap reference.

I don't know ALL that much about THX, but I DO know a few things. (and I know a smart guy who works for him.)  They will give you the list of equipment and design and facility review once you are signed up with them and give them money towards certification.  There are some lists floating around....  It is "supposed" to ensure predictable playback from the A to the B chain in film mixing and theatrical presentation.  If the room is "certified" it means that THX says it sounds "good enough".

Here is all you need to know : I was purchasing QSC cinema amps for my new room.  I had the choice between the THX certified and the not certified.  The certified ones had terrible filters in them that made them sound worse than the regular ones..........

It is not about the best possible sound, it is about how to get things to translate from mix room to theater.

Seems like a waste of money to me.  And I would laugh at any Mastering Room that boasted it was THX certified.  For a film or TV mix room, a different story.  If you could use the marketing of a THX certification, then it might make sense.

BUT :

Most Hollywood dub stages are not THX certified.
Directors and Producers NEVER ask if they are THX certified.
Smaller houses "think" (are led to believe) that they need it to add credibility to their operation.
Most good engineers do NOT need THX to tell them how to build a room.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences theaters?  NONE of them are THX certified.

(that said, TH is a smart guy and did contribute to the understanding and improvement of film sound.  In some rooms, his baffle wall was a good idea -- theaters used to have HUGE back stages behind the screen and the sound come careening back and echo in that chasm.)
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

CWHumphrey

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »

Give me a $1000 and I'll certify your room...your house...

your street...the town you live in...

It's cheaper than THX...

Cheers,
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.