R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Q: "THAT" modern guitar sound  (Read 20617 times)

daxliniere

Re: Q: "THAT" modern guitar sound
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 09:43:48 AM »

Hey J,
I just looked up the EH Hum Debugger and found lots of reviews where people have said it altered their guitar tone too much.
Can you comment on that?

On a side note, I can't remember where I read it, but someone was raving about Thrice's last 2 albums, so I went to have a listen. Fkn hell!! They're fantastic! They sound nothing like Thrice! (ha!)
Seriously, I'm really loving all 4 parts of their double concept album. awesome.

Cheers,
Dax.
Dax Liniere

PUZZLE FACTORY
SOUND STUDIO
Canberra, Australia

p: +61 412 599 533
www.puzzlefactory.com.au
www.MixDirection.com

j.hall

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 09:49:05 AM »

daxliniere wrote on Tue, 03 June 2008 08:43

Hey J,
I just looked up the EH Hum Debugger and found lots of reviews where people have said it altered their guitar tone too much.
Can you comment on that?

for high gain tones, i haven't noticed any loss of tone.

the pedal has two modes, "normal" and "strong"  in the strong mode you lose some top end.  in the normal setting it sounds fine to me.

and ditching the ever annoying BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ  when nothing is being played is totally worth it.

TheViking

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 08:51:11 PM »

grant richard wrote on Wed, 28 May 2008 10:24

I can tell you right now that the 57 is not the best mic for guitars.  Sometimes it works, and it's fine, but there are plenty of other options that could work better.  e906 comes to mind (or 409 if you can get one).  121 rings a bell too.

The room is deceiving.  Trust your monitors.

Obviously, make the tracks as awesome as possible, but IMO, there's no real way to tell EXACTLY how to EQ something before the mix.  Just make it sound really really good in tracking, then don't shy from the EQ in the mix phase.

The SM57 may not be 'the best' mic, but for the price and what it does, it's awesome!   It is definitely in my top 3 desert island mic list.   If you can't get a good guitar sound working from a 57 then your problem is not the microphone.
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

wwittman

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 11:03:50 PM »

that, is, forgive me, a load of crap

if you can't get a decent sound with a 57, try a REAL microphone instead

I can't remember the last time I heard a decent sound from a 57, on anything.

sorry.

I don;t use $100 mics on anything I CARE about.

they're great as a talkback mic though...

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Andy Peters

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 12:43:07 AM »

TheViking wrote on Sat, 07 June 2008 17:51

The SM57 may not be 'the best' mic, but for the price and what it does, it's awesome!   It is definitely in my top 3 desert island mic list.   If you can't get a good guitar sound working from a 57 then your problem is not the microphone.

If you're after a "good" tone, then fine, stick with the SM57 and its severe LF rolloff and its nasal presence peak.

If you're after a great guitar tone, then look elsewhere.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Tomas Danko

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 07:53:38 AM »

I dunno...

Hook up a Les Paul to a Marshall stack, crank it all the way up, put an SM57 up front and tell me that's not a classic sound heard on endless albums.

So if you want to mimic those albums, it's the sound.

I've done my share of using SM57's a long time ago. I haven't used one for years.

But I still think this is a valid sound, for some music.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

!AE!

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2008, 01:51:01 AM »

A key part of getting the guitar tone on those MP3's is high gain pickups like EMG's. If the guitar has old school humbuckers like PAF's the effect can be approximated by using a distortion pedal. Both is even better. It tightens up the low end and makes the upper mids more focussed. No need for distortion on the pedal, it's working as a tone shaper, mostly as a hpf. If you do some searching you'll find what pedals work best. You may even have one of them already;

I love PAF's and P90's myself, but for that kind of music they won't cut it by themselves. The tone is too bulky.

Another thing is, like some have mentioned, it's better to track with less gain than most kids think is necessary. But they need to play pretty aggressively with their picking hand to get the amp to growl. The kids who're accustomed to using high gain settings usually have trouble making this adjustment. I find that the tone is best when the strings are hit just below the threshold where they start to warble out of tune for aggressive sections of the song. For the really aggressive parts, sometimes it sounds cool in a chaotic way if the strings do warble a bit. Obviously, light gauge strings and low action won't work for this kind of playing.

JCM800's, Dual Rectifiers, Boogie MkIV's, XXX's, 5150's can all work for this kind of music. I can usually capture it all with one 57 or M160, sometimes a Royer 121 mixed with another mic. Neve-style mic preamps always work, but they can sound laid back compared to say, a Trident S80-style preamp which makes the upper midrange focussed and forward in a way that sounds more "modern rock." Plugin limiters can make the midrange more forward on gtr's at mix.

I agree that it's not necessary to have the amp at blinding levels for this style. This isn't Pete Townsend stuff. Pushing the output stage of the amplifier sounds too honky in the midrange for this kind of music. The tone on those MP3's can be had with a moderate volume level from the amp and a high gain setting on the mic preamp.

Needless to say, it's not a true pop punk production until the vocals are completely tuned and every 1/16th note of the drums, bass, gtr's and vocals is quantized to the grid or to a groove and the drums are reinforced with samples.

j.hall

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 11:13:24 PM »

i just did guitar overdubs with a producer in memphis playing an old gold top with humbuckers, to a koch amp, out to a marshall 4x12 with vintage 30's that had a 57 on it, to an api mic pre.  those tones tore my head off.

daxliniere

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 08:54:49 AM »

Okay guys, thought it would be nice if I wrote back and let you know how I went. (I hate unclosed threads! Smile )

Quad tracking was the trick I was after!

Here's another tip I worked out. If you can, DI the guitar too, then mix that in slightly. It gives a nice bit of definition to the distorted tones, producing a great overall sound.

As always, remember that when tracking distorted guitars, less gain & less bass are your friends!

You can check out a couple samples of my newly found techniques: Anything At All by Crucial Times (and the not yet uploaded to my website) When You Were Mine by Brand New Fashion. (But you can hear it here: http://www.myspace.com/brandnewfashionband )

Cheers to all who helped!

All the best,
Dax.
Dax Liniere

PUZZLE FACTORY
SOUND STUDIO
Canberra, Australia

p: +61 412 599 533
www.puzzlefactory.com.au
www.MixDirection.com

rankus

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 11:27:03 PM »

daxliniere wrote on Sun, 21 September 2008 05:54

Quad tracking was the trick I was after!

More details please... amps, mics, etc, etc.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

RSettee

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2008, 12:35:18 AM »

wwittman wrote on Sun, 15 June 2008 22:03

that, is, forgive me, a load of crap

if you can't get a decent sound with a 57, try a REAL microphone instead

I can't remember the last time I heard a decent sound from a 57, on anything.

sorry.

+1. Too much mid, not enough sparkly highs for me. They can handle loud sounds, though.

redwood`

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 03:56:19 AM »

I find that every time I feel like I nailed 'that' modern sound I learn/try something completely new and changes everything. Recently pulled two tubes from my hughes and kettner duotone an changed the sound and methods completely. Also been using an 87 about 5 feet out in the room for some added growl to heavy tracks. Just thoughts to try...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 17 queries.